Cadillac Williams - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Cadillac Williams

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Kensat30 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:16 pm

GreatestShowOnEarth wrote:I dont think Alstott will come back next year. If i was him i would be concerned with his health (neck injury) and his age. It seems that when Alsott is being talked about everyone looks at him as this great short yardage back that he was a few years ago. Alstott is not the same back. He has lost something and im not quite sure what but he doesnt have the same bone crushing style he had in years past. I really believe that Even if he does come back Caddy will still get some goaline carries.

Did you miss the week 10 game against Washington? The one where Alstott scored twice on goalline TDs and then punched in the winning 2-point conversion with 4 seconds left on the clock?

PS- How often do you see a team run a 2-point conversion in the NFL when they are down by 1 with 4 seconds left on the clock?

PPS- Alstott scored more TDs than Caddy last season and he only carried the ball around 30 times. I would almost venture to call the guy a PURE goalline thief/short yard guy ala Jerome Bettis, if it wasn't for his receiving stats (which were just as good in '05 as back in his heyday).
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:25 pm

yes he had a good game against Washington, im not saying hes horrible i just believe hes lost a step and is not worth the money that the Bucs will have t spend on him.

Gruden had some balls to call that play for the two point conversion no doubt. But did you expect anything less from the man?

Of course Alstott had more TDs!! Gruden used him as a TD vulture last year.

I dont think any of this really matters anyway. Alstott will not be wearing a Bucs jersey in 2006. i am fairly sure that he will retire.
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby The_Dude » Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:47 pm

I think we should just distinguish between football feelings and fantasy football feelings here.

I think Alstott still has value to any team in the way Bettis would still have value if the relative cost was low. He gives you an almost guaranteed single yard in 3rd and short, goal-line situations. Even the best RBs in the league simply don't have the size to provide that consistently.

As a fantasy football guy, however, you hate to see a first rate back like Caddy get sniped (particularly if you own him in a keeper).

I am perfectly able to separate my football from my fantasy football opinion. At a low enough price, Alstott still has great value for the Bucs. As a fantasy owner, I hope he retires and Caddy sees a bit more goal line action in 2006.

I am the Walrus
The_Dude
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)
Location: My ivory tower, where I oversee the intellectual development of America's youth

Postby Kensat30 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:38 pm

The_Dude wrote:I think we should just distinguish between football feelings and fantasy football feelings here.

I think Alstott still has value to any team in the way Bettis would still have value if the relative cost was low. He gives you an almost guaranteed single yard in 3rd and short, goal-line situations. Even the best RBs in the league simply don't have the size to provide that consistently.

As a fantasy football guy, however, you hate to see a first rate back like Caddy get sniped (particularly if you own him in a keeper).

I am perfectly able to separate my football from my fantasy football opinion. At a low enough price, Alstott still has great value for the Bucs. As a fantasy owner, I hope he retires and Caddy sees a bit more goal line action in 2006.

Agree 100%, Alstott doesn't have to be at 100% percent and get 100 carries to make a difference in either real life (3rd down RB) or fantasy (goalline thief). He came back last year and proved it, and that's why Pittman isn't on the team anymore. I didn't think Alstott would be back either, but he is obviously healthy enough to do it. I've learned my lesson about washed up and injured veterans nowadays though. They'll stick around twice as long as anyone imagines just to spite us fantasy footballers who think they are done.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Previous

Return to Football Talk