The Flutie Ball Fiasco - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

The Flutie Ball Fiasco

Moderator: Football Moderators

The Flutie Ball Fiasco

Postby Mercer Boy » Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:51 pm

If any of you watch the ESPN 5-6 PM shows, you saw the story on this...here comes another case of fans thinking they can hijack an NFL team. :-B

AZCentral.com wrote:Patriots won't pay for Flutie's drop-kick ball

Wire services
Jan. 30, 2006 12:00 AM

Stacey James, New England Patriots executive director of media relations, couldn't understand why his phone calls were not returned, until a fax showed up on his desk last Monday morning that made it all clear.

Ever since Doug Flutie's drop kick split the uprights on New Year's Day, the Patriots had searched for the football.

The Pro Football Hall of Fame called James seeking the ball. But because the Patriots had lined up before Flutie's kick as if it were a play from scrimmage, the net was not raised behind the goalposts, so the ball went into the stands and the waiting arms of a fan who shall remain anonymous at the Patriots' insistence.

James told the Hall he wasn't sure he could find the football. The team reviewed film to try to locate the lucky fan but came up empty - until James got a phone message from someone purporting to have the ball or at least know where it was. James left several messages in return but the caller didn't reply until the morning of Jan. 23, when a fax arrived from a lawyer.

According to the fax, the law office represents Mr. X, "who is in possession of the football recently drop-kicked by Doug Flutie. . . . My client understands that the New England Patriots may have an interest in purchasing that historic football."

Then came the fan's terms and conditions, as written by the lawyer:

"1. Payment of $100,000 on delivery of the football.

"2. A guarantee of eight season tickets for 25 years in the end zone (preferably sections 142 or 143). The season tickets will be paid for annually by my client at the then-going price for season tickets. The Patriots would not be expected to pay for the tickets.

"3. Delivery by the Patriots to my client, sometime in September 2006, of a Tom Brady Patriots football jersey signed by all the team members as of the beginning of the next football season."

The lawyer's letter goes on to explain that his client "has had a number of offers for the football already, but he is a real Patriot fan and would prefer to see that historic football wind up in the Patriots' possession."

The Kraft family, which owns the team, chose to ignore the whole matter. As someone in the organization said Friday: "I hope he enjoys the football."

My lord, this sounds like a guy has hostages and is dictating demands to the police...stupid! :-t
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Wizzle » Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:57 pm

He's really not asking for an overbearing amount. I'm not sure how much season tickets are, but as far as I can tell all he is asking for is reserved tix. I doubt that 100k would pay for 25 years of 8 season tickets. Maybe it's just me but he really isnt asking for much...

-edit: why you would want the whole team to sign a Brady jersey is beyond me...that seems a little fruity to me. :-D
Wizzle
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle Eye

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:00 pm

I was just about to post this after seeing it on PTI just a moment ago. What an ass! 25 years worth of tickets, $100 grand and an auto'd jersey? Personally, I would have just asked for an auto'd jersey or something like that. I like the way the team responded.

"I hope he enjoys the football."

Great response. I understand trying to get something for the ball, but asking for the world like that is just stupid. It really makes him look like an ass. :-t
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby HskrPwr13 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:03 pm

I'll admit that I do think its a bit tacky to hold sports souveniers "hostage" when you just lucked upon them v. paying for them. With that said, he couldve asked for more. I'm sure he'll get something for the ball, although not as much as hes asking from the Patriots, and I applaud the Pats for not succumbing to such demands. I think either a $1,000 or a set of "nice seat" or box seat season tickets for a season would suffice.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby skibrett15 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:03 pm

He could sell it on E-bay, and then we could have an interesting thread about it. ;-7
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:08 pm

skibrett15 wrote:He could sell it on E-bay, and then we could have an interesting thread about it. ;-7

Scary thing, that hot dog would probably fetch about the same price tag! :-b
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby biju » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:09 pm

I think I would permanently loan the ball to the NFL Hall of Fame as long as I got a little plaque next to it saying my family owned it. That's about the only way I'm getting my name in the HoF. :-D
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby jayday » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:10 pm

My understanding was that he wanted

a. 100k in cash
b. The oppurtunity to purchase with his own money, season tickets of his choosing for the next 25 years...
c. a Brady jersey, signed by everyone...

I'd give him "b" and "c"....but as for "a", I'd tell him to go p--- up a rope....
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby SniperShot » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:12 pm

How the heck did Mr. X get the drop kick ball in the first place is my big question... I would have thought Flutie would be snatching that ball up the minute after the play. Like I've normally seen people writing on the balls and they are put in cases and stuff after touchdowns and big plays... Just don't understand it, such an awesome play, never been done since 1944... Wouldn't you keep better guard of the ball and not let it in the hands of EL STUPIDO'S???
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby disgruntledjetsfan » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:13 pm

Although it sounds bad what this guy is doing, I would bet that the majority of us would demand a good deal of money for the ball, especially after seeing what some of this items have gone for in the last few years. It seems like a real d*ck thing to do but when you realize how much money is involved, i think most people would do what this guy is doing.
disgruntledjetsfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 8)

Next

Return to Football Talk