The Flutie Ball Fiasco - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

The Flutie Ball Fiasco

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby AZDawg » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:18 am

I think the guy who took the ball from Favre is selling his boxers for $40K now too.
AZDawg
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Postby stomperrob » Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:21 am

Homeless wrote:If I read the article correctly, then even looking at film of the event, they couldnt find out who caught it. In short, this guy has a football and his word that its the one Flutie kicked. That kind of puts a huge dent in its value.

In fact, im guessing several of these Flutie balls will be on ebay shortly.

As a matter of fact I happen to have the ball Flutie kicked in my basement right now - gotta dust that sucker off and get it posted on e-bay before someone else does!!!

:-D
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 177)

Postby merc » Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:02 am

I heard Drew Rosenhaus contacted the Flutie ball owner to see if he could represent him...but, the ball owner said no. He was quoted as saying that he wanted to sell the ball... not have it quaranteened. :-D
Thanks Anx2a for the Custom Sig

[i]2006 Cafe TSN Ultimate Salary Cap Playoff Champion[/i]
merc
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Sixxgunn » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:25 am

Second candidate for the woodchipper. This guy is greatly overestimating the importance of this ball. It wasn't a game-winner, and it was done by a washed up back up QB for no other reason than to show he could do it. Although rare (because it's pointless), it isn't the first time it was done. The Hall will not wither and die because it loses this one. Maybe they should give him a Flutie jersey signed by his CFL team.
Last edited by Sixxgunn on Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby SniperShot » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:39 am

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:
SniperShot wrote:How the heck did Mr. X get the drop kick ball in the first place is my big question... I would have thought Flutie would be snatching that ball up the minute after the play like you see people writing on the balls and they are put in cases and stuff... Just don't understand it, such an awesome play, never been done since 1944... Wouldn't you keep better guard of the ball and not let it in the hands of EL STUPIDO'S???

The Pats lined up in a formation that didn't look anything like a kicking opportunity, so the net wasn't up. That's how the fan got the ball.
Wow! Well some security should have been waiting in the stands or sent out to get the ball back or something... Haha this situation is crazy I wonder if MR. X will get anything out of it or not. Think the ball is important enough they will pay him what he wants? Weird...
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby moochman » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:23 pm

Homeless wrote:If I read the article correctly, then even looking at film of the event, they couldnt find out who caught it. In short, this guy has a football and his word that its the one Flutie kicked. That kind of puts a huge dent in its value.

In fact, im guessing several of these Flutie balls will be on ebay shortly.

Aren't game balls specially marked? I mean as opposed to a ball that can be purchased over the counter? I'm pretty sure they are. Then:

They could verify wether the ball was in fact one that was used during the course of a NFL game.
That and a ticket stub narrows it down to the Pats game.
Seat location can verify that it could've been the ball in question. Review of game film can show if any other game balls could've been lost in that area.
So they should be able to tell with reasonable certainty that the ball is the drop kick ball.

As for his demands, I don't see them as being unreasonable. A mere drop in the bucket for the Krafts. Were I he, I would counter with giving half of the $100, 000 to a local charity or starting some sort of endowment fund. Then the Pats could gain more than just an historic ball. The right to buy season tickets is a bigger sticking point because of availibility of seats. An offer of 2 season tickets vouchers, again, isn't unreasonable. The Brady jersey could be done easily enough. Really mishandled by all parties, methinks.

Love the "hope he likes the ball" response though. :-b

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Kensat30 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:04 am

$100k for a gimmick ball? C'mon, no one really cares about it. What rich guy will want to display a field goal made by Doug Flutie? I doubt this ball would go for $10k on the open market.

I hope that lawyer is charging his client an assload of money.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby MadScott » Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:33 am

Kensat30 wrote:$100k for a gimmick ball? C'mon, no one really cares about it. What rich guy will want to display a field goal made by Doug Flutie? I doubt this ball would go for $10k on the open market.

I hope that lawyer is charging his client an assload of money.
If you get Todd McFarlane involved, there's no telling what it would go for. ;-D
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Payne Dailey » Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:15 am

MadScott wrote:If you get Todd McFarlane involved, there's no telling what it would go for. ;-D

I think McFarlane lost interest in sports memorabilia when Bonds hit #63.
Payne Dailey
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby TheRawDAWG » Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:23 pm

Payne Dailey wrote:
MadScott wrote:If you get Todd McFarlane involved, there's no telling what it would go for. ;-D

I think McFarlane lost interest in sports memorabilia when Bonds hit #63.

What does Bonds #63 homer have anything to do with it? Sosa hit more than 62 a couple times if i'm not mistaken and Big Mac hit 70. And then Bonds hit 73. Bonds wasn't the first to hit 63.

And I honestly don't think this guy is asking too much. $100,000 is nothing to the NFL or the Patriots. And the guy isn't asking for the season tickets to be given to him...just an opportunity to buy them. Of course, 8 is probably too many tickets. But 2 would be a nice compromise.
So they weren't the best...and may have ended the worst. SO WHAT!
TheRawDAWG
Head Coach
Head Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk