T.O. visits Denver - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

T.O. visits Denver

Moderator: Football Moderators

T.O. visits Denver

Postby Crimedogg32 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:09 pm

Shanahan hosts get-acquainted meeting with T.O.
By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

In the wake of defeat in the AFC championship game, Denver Broncos coach Mike Shanahan spoke with purposeful vagueness last week about his team's potential to perhaps take on a high-profile player with a problematic past.

On Monday, Shanahan essentially attached an identity to the unnamed veteran player -- Terrell Owens.

ESPN.com has confirmed that Shanahan met with Owens, the exiled Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver, and agent Drew Rosenhaus in Denver. The meeting might be the first step in an effort to acquire Owens, who is still under contract to the Eagles.

It also might amount to nothing at all. But sources said there appears to be some degree of mutual interest, even if the meeting was generally viewed as just a get-acquainted session.

Beyond confirming the meeting, Rosenhaus declined to comment.

The consensus around the league has been that, since most teams believe the Eagles will release Owens before they must pay him bonuses totaling $7.5 million in March, the trade market for him would be blunted. Eagles coach Andy Reid insisted during Senior Bowl all-star game practices last week, though, that several teams had indicated an interest in having trade talks.

Eagles officials early this month granted Rosenhaus permission to seek possible trade partners. Philadelphia's obvious hope is to get something in return before they are forced, for contractual reasons, to release the talented but troublesome Owens. It is not known what kind of market price the Eagles would attach to Owens if Philadelphia finds a franchise willing to enter into substantive trade discussions.

Asked about Owens last week during his season-ending news conference, Shanahan did not mention him by name. But he pointed out that, with such a veteran team, the Broncos might have the ability to bring in a veteran player who had not fit in well with other teams. The consensus was that Shanahan was talking about Owens.

"If somebody handles himself the right way they could come into the organization, but they're going to have to live by the standards we practice," Shanahan said.

Some veterans, most notably center Tom Nalen, told The Denver Post they could see a scenario in which Owens could be absorbed into the Broncos locker room.

"If it would work anywhere, I think it would work here because of the guys in the locker room," Nalen said. "Guys would keep him straight ... I think he'd conform. He'd fit in here. He'd fit into any offense. He's a great player."

Senior writer Len Pasquarelli covers the NFL for ESPN.com.

Would be interesting to see him in that offense
Crimedogg32
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mysticphysh » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:15 pm

Some veterans, most notably center Tom Nalen, told The Denver Post they could see a scenario in which Owens could be absorbed into the Broncos locker room.

"If it would work anywhere, I think it would work here because of the guys in the locker room," Nalen said. "Guys would keep him straight ... I think he'd conform."

I thought offensive linemen were supposed to be the smartest players :-?
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Wizzle » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:23 pm

Denver shoudl trade Lelie for him. I think they both need a fresh start.
Wizzle
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle Eye

Postby mysticphysh » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:25 pm

Wizzle wrote:Denver shoudl trade Lelie for him. I think they both need a fresh start.

Lelie could be one of the better WRs in the league if he could play consistently like he played against the steelers. He made some sweet grabs in that game.
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jayday » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:29 pm

Wizzle wrote:Denver shoudl trade Lelie for him. I think they both need a fresh start.

Why trade a young WR to a team when you know TO's gonna be cut as soon as FA starts? :-? Not too smart...
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby DelhommesFan1 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:39 pm

lelie has been a bust for that team really. TO would give them what they were looking for when they drafted lelie
DelhommesFan1
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby The_Captain » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:58 pm

I wonder what the acquisition of Owens would do for Plummer.

I know this has been debated ad nauseum (especially the Moss/Culpepper debate prior to the season) but it's interesting to think of Owens going to Denver, what that could do for Plummer. I'm certainly not down playing Rod Smith, who's been a solid WR for the Broncos for many years, but he's getting old and is not nearly as explosive as Owens.

Lelie was recruited to take over the #1 spot and he's got blazing speed but he's never really taken the next step which is maybe why Shanahan is considering taking a chance on the problematic Owens.

So, would Owens make Jake a better QB?

"This is your captain calling--with an urgent warning" - The The
The_Captain
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Homeless » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:58 pm

Oh yeah, Plummer to TO match made in heaven.

TO should be going to a team where there is a slender chance that he will respect the QB.
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Re: T.O. visits Denver

Postby maddog60 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:03 pm

Shanahan wrote:If somebody handles himself the right way they could come into the organization, but they're going to have to live by the standards we practice,

Has Shanahan been living in a cave during the past season? Mike, I have much respect for you, but listen to the words that are coming out of your mouth, and think about who you're dealing with. If you're not willing to let him do whatever he wants, its not going to be pretty.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby The_Captain » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:09 pm

Homeless wrote:Oh yeah, Plummer to TO match made in heaven.

TO should be going to a team where there is a slender chance that he will respect the QB.

Oh I agree the Plummer to TO is match made in hell, but TO + <insert any other team in the NFL> is a potential match made in hell.

Can you really think of ANY team where he would respect the QB?

"This is your captain calling--with an urgent warning" - The The
The_Captain
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk