Seahawks players OK after 'freak' collision - AP - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Seahawks players OK after 'freak' collision - AP

Moderator: Football Moderators

Seahawks players OK after 'freak' collision - AP

Postby The_Dude » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:32 pm

Associated Press wrote:

DETROIT -- NFL MVP Shaun Alexander and several other Seattle Seahawks got a jolt Monday when their van was struck by an automated parking gate. The players were jostled from their seats, but said no one was injured.

Alexander, fellow Pro Bowlers Matt Hasselbeck, Steve Hutchinson and Walter Jones and Michael Boulware were on their way to a downtown news conference when the accident occurred.

Alexander said the players were in the second of two vans transporting the Seahawks. He said the first van was full of team public relations personnel and cleared through the gate crossing without incident -- "of course," he joked.

But the van carrying Alexander and the all-stars was struck from the side and below by automatic gates while trying to get through the entrance at the hotel complex.

"It was a big jerk. That was about it," Jones said. "It was a freak thing. But everyone laughed it off."

Hasselbeck said he had just removed his seat belt when the gate struck. He said the van was left inoperable.

"I think it's the first accident I've ever been involved in in my life," he said.

Alexander said there was a loud bang that startled the players and especially shook the driver.

"It was crazy," Alexander said. "We all got tossed around a bit inside. But we're all OK."

Alexander said he saw Pittsburgh running back and Detroit native Jerome Bettis coming out of the hotel.

"I said to him, 'Do you have one of those automatic things to push the gates down?' He said, 'No, it wasn't me,' " Alexander said.

NFL vice president of security Milt Ahlerich said the accident would be reviewed.

"The most important thing is that no one was injured," he said.

I am the Walrus
The_Dude
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football
Location: My ivory tower, where I oversee the intellectual development of America's youth

Postby The_Captain » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:34 pm

Already a shake up in Detroit......glad all the players involved were okay.

"This is your captain calling--with an urgent warning" - The The
The_Captain
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby awwchrist » Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:24 pm

I was watching the live feed on NFLNetwork when they reported that.

Adam Schefter thought he was the shiz dropping that in front of all the TV crews.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mysticphysh » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:06 am

Those steelers will do anything to win a game. :-]
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby terpfan » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:08 am

Big names in that van.... Sure thats the last group of players Seattle could afford to lose.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Mercer Boy » Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:32 am

Yeah, saw this on ESPN earlier tonight...although this wasn't completely insignificant, it always seems like something weird happens during Super Bowl week these days. :-o

Pretty soon they will put all the players into statsis pods the week before the game so nothing will happen to them. :-b Of course, then we have the possibility of one of the pods malfunctioning...that wouldn't be good either.

Guess there's just no way around finding trouble before the big game! !+)
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby vitalogist » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:33 am

as long as none of our boys pull a eugene robinson, we should be good...
vitalogist
Head Coach
Head Coach

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ShoelessJoe » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:38 am

Wow, you know that we're struggling for football news when there's this many posts in a thread about a damn car gate closing on a van where no one was hurt and nothing happened.
Go Gators
ShoelessJoe
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Homeless » Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:33 am

One of the Hawkes players in the accident said "you cant really call it an accident all we did was bash a concrete post while parking"

Sheesh the media!
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby logan » Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:40 am

yeah i'm gald it wasn't an accident where anyone got hurt but the whole thing was such a non issue. if you didn't hear what the accident was first and you heard hasslebeck (and the media) talk about it before learning the exact details you would think they were in some horrific accident where the van rolled 10 times. hass was overacting to it so over the top it was ridiculous.
logan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Next

Return to Football Talk