Willie Parker - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Willie Parker

Moderator: Football Moderators

Willie Parker

Postby The Lung » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:34 am

In two recent mock drafts on another site, I picked up Willie Parker with the 5.09 and 6.01 picks. (re-draft, 1 point per 10 yards rushing/receiving, 6 points per rushing/receiving TD, 1 point per 20 yards passing, 4 points per passing TD)

Similar to Cadillac Williams, (see thread) I thought this was quite strange - assuming Jerome Bettis retires, I have Willie Parker in the late 2nd round/early 3rd round in my rankings.

Here at the Cafe 2006 Mock Draft I, Parker was chosen with the 3.10 pick.

(Even in the Sam Mills Dynasty League here at the Cafe, Parker was taken with the 4.02 pick, and that is a dynasty league!)

I've got to think that this won't hold up - that there's little chance Willie Parker falls past the 4th round in most leagues with knowledgeable fantasy owners come the start of next season.
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby moochman » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:25 pm

I wonder if there is some concern that Vernon Haynes(sp) might take a bigger role next season. I know the Stillers love the guy and with the Bus gone.....

And take away games against bad teams and Parker wansn't all that impressive. Still good value in the 5th round.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Wizzle » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:26 pm

I'm hoping he flies under the radar. If he could somehow end up getting goalline carries I can see him being a beast.

I'm also guessing that Bettis will very likely retire if the win the SB.
Wizzle
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle Eye

Postby maddog60 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:32 pm

Willie Parker is going to be a mid-rounder until it becomes made clear he's got a featured role. If the Bus retires and the Steelers don't sign anyone, Parker jumps up to at least late 2nd early 3rd.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Sixxgunn » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:49 pm

While certainly showing flashes of greatness, he also showed flashes of great incompetence at times. He would have some horrible outings, where when Bettis got into the game he would do quite well. I also believe there was a fumbling problem brewing with FWP. I won't put much stock in him becoming an elite back until I see a season without Bettis around.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby onnestabe » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:56 pm

That does seem low for someone who did as well as he did this year, but another factor that wasn't mentioned is the upcoming draft. Pittsburgh does not have a lot of holes to fill, and this draft is deep at RB. A RB may be the best player available when Pittsbirgh is on the clock, so that hurts Parker's value a bit.

I think if you add that risk to the other perceived risks (Staley, Haynes, a sophomore slump), there is enough there for some people to downgrade him on their draft boards.

Note: I call these perceived risks because I don't see Staley, Haynes, or a rookie having much impact on Parker's playing time next year. Parker in the third round (maybe late 2nd in deep leagues) seems to be good value, IMO.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Gnu314 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:05 pm

I don't see Parker as much more than a late round flier. I feel like hes got decent talent but hes too easy to bring down and hes inconsistent. Not someone that I'ed want starting on my fantasy team.
Gnu314
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby skibrett15 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:14 pm

keep in mind that yardage guys like Tiki of old, Warrick Dunn, Fred Taylor, and westbrook are regularly undervalued relative to their end of year standings... even in yardage heavy leagues. This trend of Parker being available in later rounds seems like something that could continue into next season, where he is a sure bet (as much as any RB can be) to get 1000 yards plus the occasional TD plus some receiving yards and end up being a top 15-20 RB.
I would predict that this trend of him being available in rds 4-7 more likely than Cadillac being there in the 3rd or late 2nd. The draft is a point of concern, but I think parker is likely to be undervalued going into next season.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby merc » Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:17 pm

He went at 3.02 in our 12 team Dynasty league draft... which we're currently doing. He was the 17th RB taken... seems a bit too late, IMO, especially for a dynasty league, considering Bettis's departure and Parker's youth?
Thanks Anx2a for the Custom Sig

[i]2006 Cafe TSN Ultimate Salary Cap Playoff Champion[/i]
merc
General Manager
General Manager

Postby maddog60 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:20 pm

skibrett15 wrote: I would predict that this trend of him being available in rds 4-7 more likely than Cadillac being there in the 3rd or late 2nd. The draft is a point of concern, but I think parker is likely to be undervalued going into next season.

That is a great point. I'd much rather take my chances on Parker in round 4 or later than overpay for Caddillac who is only slightly younger, just as inconsistent, and on a team that doesn't have half the run support of Parker's.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Football Talk