The Future of Ricky Williams... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

The Future of Ricky Williams...

Moderator: Football Moderators

The Future of Ricky Williams...

Postby Philly Pride » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:17 pm

What does it look like.

First off, I think if he's a feature back in 2006 he could reach 1200 yards and 8 TD's. But it really depends on what team he goes to. Recently I've heard the Broncos, and while I don't know why the heck they would want him with Anderson and Bell already, that would significantly hurt his value.

Miami knows they have to get rid of him, they need Ronnie to develop. They obviously need a QB with Frerotte getting on in years...

I know...Culpepper for Ricky Williams!

It helps both teams! Michael Bennett is his old injury-prone, inconsistent self week in and week out. Mewelde Moore had a couple good games, but mostly was a disappointment for someone who had the starting RB spot handed to him and didn't grasp it firmly. Minnesota has plenty of RB now, that didn't stop them from taking Ciatrick Fason though. I think maybe they could do something like Bennett/Moore/Fason and C-Pep for Ricky and a pick or some throw-in player.

This seems like a good idea to me, you definitely need a good running game in Minnesota's new west coast offense. Culpepper, return to form or not, would be an improvement over Frerotte. And both sides would open spots for a guy they like, Minny's QB job goes to Brad Johnson, and Miami's RB spot goes to Brown.

Thoughts? Am I crazy?
Philly Pride
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby ShoelessJoe » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:25 pm

If the Vikings do involve a deal for Ricky it would more likely involve the Dolphins throwing in someone in addition to Ricky for CPepp as opposed to the other way around. Keep in mind that even though CPepp had a tough go of it this year, he was basically the runner-up to MVP two years ago. No matter how good Ricky was in his prime (note that he no longer is), he never was involved in the 40+ TD's CPepp put up in 2004. Similarly, CPepp's bad year, this year, was just a handful of turnovers, Ricky's bad year was a handful of cannibus.
Go Gators
ShoelessJoe
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:30 pm

Why would the Phins get rid of Ricky? Yes they have Ronnie Brown and they think he is there future but can you really have too many solid running backs? Its not like hes costing them much to keep around. Last year he was being paid the league minimum and i doubt its signficantly higher this year. I think it is in the dolphins best interests to keep Williams, at least for this year.
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby gogogadget » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:55 pm

If he does stay in Miami he should be their goal line back
"When I know nothing, the possibilities are endless."
gogogadget
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby DelhommesFan1 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:11 pm

id pay some admissions to see him in a panther jersey, and we need a runningback
DelhommesFan1
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Re: The Future of Ricky Williams...

Postby Steve_L » Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:52 pm

Philly Pride wrote:What does it look like.

First off, I think if he's a feature back in 2006 he could reach 1200 yards and 8 TD's. But it really depends on what team he goes to. Recently I've heard the Broncos, and while I don't know why the heck they would want him with Anderson and Bell already, that would significantly hurt his value.

Miami knows they have to get rid of him, they need Ronnie to develop. They obviously need a QB with Frerotte getting on in years...

It helps both teams! Michael Bennett is his old injury-prone, inconsistent self week in and week out. Mewelde Moore had a couple good games, but mostly was a disappointment for someone who had the starting RB spot handed to him and didn't grasp it firmly. Minnesota has plenty of RB now, that didn't stop them from taking Ciatrick Fason though. I think maybe they could do something like Bennett/Moore/Fason and C-Pep for Ricky and a pick or some throw-in player.

This seems like a good idea to me, you definitely need a good running game in Minnesota's new west coast offense. Culpepper, return to form or not, would be an improvement over Frerotte. And both sides would open spots for a guy they like, Minny's QB job goes to Brad Johnson, and Miami's RB spot goes to Brown.

Thoughts? Am I crazy?

Although this looks like an alright idea at first look, it doesn't make sense to the Vikings when you look at it. First off, Mewelde was far from handed the starting spot this year, he had to work for it. At the beginning of the year, every coach in the organization but Mike Tice thought that he should be the starter, and sure enough, Bennett was the starter week one. Repeatedly Bennett would regain the spot after having a horrible effort, but the second Mewelde did bad, he got pulled. Tice just did not like Mewelde. Now Childress on the other hand, who formed Brian Westbrooke into what he is today, likes him from what I have heard. He is a very similar back to Westbrooke. Plus, Brad Johnson and the age of 38 is hardly a guy you want to build your franchise around, and it is much easier to draft a good running back than a good quaterback. Look for Minnesota to draft Maroney if he is still around for their pick.
Steve_L
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Philly Pride » Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:04 pm

Steve_L wrote:
Although this looks like an alright idea at first look, it doesn't make sense to the Vikings when you look at it. First off, Mewelde was far from handed the starting spot this year, he had to work for it. At the beginning of the year, every coach in the organization but Mike Tice thought that he should be the starter, and sure enough, Bennett was the starter week one. Repeatedly Bennett would regain the spot after having a horrible effort, but the second Mewelde did bad, he got pulled. Tice just did not like Mewelde. Now Childress on the other hand, who formed Brian Westbrooke into what he is today, likes him from what I have heard. He is a very similar back to Westbrooke. Plus, Brad Johnson and the age of 38 is hardly a guy you want to build your franchise around, and it is much easier to draft a good running back than a good quaterback. Look for Minnesota to draft Maroney if he is still around for their pick.

Childress didn't make Westbrook what he is. Did Childress help Westbrook set the all-purpose yards record in college? No. And Bennett couldn't post more than 40 yards on the ground until week 9, when Mewelde got hurt. In that span, Mewelde has very average games, cracking 100 yards only once and scoring a single TD.

This was just a theory anyway. I thought it made sense, but obviously it is more complicated than just coming up with things like this.
Philly Pride
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Gnu314 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:07 pm

I can see Ricky getting traded but not to the Vikings. Hes got some good years left in him and he showed at the end of the season that he can still be a stud.

There were faint rumors about Ricky to Denver but I highly doubt that... I'm thinking maybe Ari, SF (assuming they don't get Bush), Car certainly would be interesting but they also have Shelton lurking and Foster although I don't think they'll resign him... The point is that the phins could afford to trade him if they could get something decent in return, Brown is the future there and they need to get rid of Ricky when he could still fetch something.
Gnu314
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby SniperShot » Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:11 pm

Ricky will probably get traded. To which team? Now thats about as good a question as where TO will end up. Maybe the Broncos and if the Broncos trade for Ricky there are 2 other things that will happen. TO will not go to the Broncos and Ricky will be a top 15 RB in most leagues.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby VaderFin » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:59 pm

Philly Pride wrote:What does it look like.

Thoughts? Am I crazy?

That bolded statement is completely untrue. Why do they have to get rid of him? Answer....they don't. They might but they don't have to. Saban likes him. He is going to play for a very low cap number. 2 back systems are becoming more and more popular. Now they MIGHT trade him but they certainly don't have to.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk