The Future of Ricky Williams... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

The Future of Ricky Williams...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby MadScott » Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:26 am

Kensat30 wrote:
MadScott wrote:

Dunn I believe is due a large contract amount this year and let's face it, he's not getting younger. Duckett, as I said earlier, just doesn't seem to have the heart to be an every down back in the league.

I think we will see Dunn restructure for the above reasons. He's not getting a big contract on the open market and he may want to stay with the Falcon's because of his assured starting spot, where the team is headed, retirement reasons, etc. etc.
I wouldn't be surprised to see them restructure at all, but I think you'll agree, last season was probably the last season that Duckett had to prove he was a full timer. I think they may just try and move him this year.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby proKrastinate » Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:51 am

MadScott wrote:
proKrastinate wrote:at this point in time...i cannot see how the niners would acquire Bush. We might be as far as 7th in the picking order and with the other needs on our team, I don't think we can afford both finacially and physically the cost of obtaining Reggie. We have a ton of money and a player (like it or not) we are going to rebuld our franchise around. Further, there are other gapping holes in our team.

However, I would like the acquisition of Ricky for the niners. He could come relatively cheap and we could use him to replace Barlow who might get cut this spring.
Agreed that there is no way that Bush falls to us at 7. Also agree that we don't need to tie up more money in a RB. That's why I also don't see a need for us to be in the Ricky sweepstakes. A backfield of Gore/Hicks will more than suffice for the time being.

Thinking this thing up and down, there's some interesting places for Ricky to end up.

The Jets could use him in place of an aging Curtis Martin and untested Derrick Blaylock, though I think the Dolphins would rather not trade with them.

How about Jacksonville? Taylor is nearing the end of his playing days and Jones was solid but not the game breaker Ricky could be.

Denver's already been mentioned. He would certainly be a nice fit there.

What about Atlanta? Warrick Dunn has to be nearing the end of the road sooner rather than later and Duckett hasn't shown enough to carry the load himself. He would fit very nicely there as well.

I don't think that a backfield of Gore and Hicks will actually cut it. Gore is having two shoulder surgeries this offseason. The dude is like Marshall Faulk except that he was a rookie last year. Hes already had both his knees under the knife in 2003 and 2003. I think he's too injury prone to be an all around starter
Gore has loose shoulder sockets that are prone to separations, and he tweaked one of them in the preseason. He will have corrective surgery in the off-season, but the 49ers felt they needed to limit his activity in practice and games early to get him through the year.

I just don't have confidence in Hicks either. Apparently he had like 6.0 yards a carry this year but I just don't believe in him yet. So if the Niners go with something like Williams(USC) with the 6th/7th pick overall I wouldn't cry.

I like the Arizona idea the best for Ricky. I think it makes more sense considering their running game was such a stink this year. Perhaps its the Oline more than anything though. I haven't seen any Card's games but as a SanFran fan oline problems (if you weren't already) became very apparent to us as niner fans how much they can change the game.
proKrastinate
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Kensat30 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:56 am

MadScott wrote:
Kensat30 wrote:
MadScott wrote:

Dunn I believe is due a large contract amount this year and let's face it, he's not getting younger. Duckett, as I said earlier, just doesn't seem to have the heart to be an every down back in the league.

I think we will see Dunn restructure for the above reasons. He's not getting a big contract on the open market and he may want to stay with the Falcon's because of his assured starting spot, where the team is headed, retirement reasons, etc. etc.
I wouldn't be surprised to see them restructure at all, but I think you'll agree, last season was probably the last season that Duckett had to prove he was a full timer. I think they may just try and move him this year.

I agree totally. Any illusions of Duckett becoming the featured guy are gone. His biggest upside on the Atlanta offense is a Mike Alstott type role. He's a decent change of pace/goalline RB and is a great compliment to the smallish Dunn.. but I don't know that he is even that useful on another team, or if a more sturdy RB instead of Dunn takes over in Atlanta.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Kensat30 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:37 pm

proKrastinate wrote:
MadScott wrote:
proKrastinate wrote:at this point in time...i cannot see how the niners would acquire Bush. We might be as far as 7th in the picking order and with the other needs on our team, I don't think we can afford both finacially and physically the cost of obtaining Reggie. We have a ton of money and a player (like it or not) we are going to rebuld our franchise around. Further, there are other gapping holes in our team.

However, I would like the acquisition of Ricky for the niners. He could come relatively cheap and we could use him to replace Barlow who might get cut this spring.
Agreed that there is no way that Bush falls to us at 7. Also agree that we don't need to tie up more money in a RB. That's why I also don't see a need for us to be in the Ricky sweepstakes. A backfield of Gore/Hicks will more than suffice for the time being.

Thinking this thing up and down, there's some interesting places for Ricky to end up.

The Jets could use him in place of an aging Curtis Martin and untested Derrick Blaylock, though I think the Dolphins would rather not trade with them.

How about Jacksonville? Taylor is nearing the end of his playing days and Jones was solid but not the game breaker Ricky could be.

Denver's already been mentioned. He would certainly be a nice fit there.

What about Atlanta? Warrick Dunn has to be nearing the end of the road sooner rather than later and Duckett hasn't shown enough to carry the load himself. He would fit very nicely there as well.

I don't think that a backfield of Gore and Hicks will actually cut it. Gore is having two shoulder surgeries this offseason. The dude is like Marshall Faulk except that he was a rookie last year. Hes already had both his knees under the knife in 2003 and 2003. I think he's too injury prone to be an all around starter
Gore has loose shoulder sockets that are prone to separations, and he tweaked one of them in the preseason. He will have corrective surgery in the off-season, but the 49ers felt they needed to limit his activity in practice and games early to get him through the year.

I just don't have confidence in Hicks either. Apparently he had like 6.0 yards a carry this year but I just don't believe in him yet. So if the Niners go with something like Williams(USC) with the 6th/7th pick overall I wouldn't cry.

I like the Arizona idea the best for Ricky. I think it makes more sense considering their running game was such a stink this year. Perhaps its the Oline more than anything though. I haven't seen any Card's games but as a SanFran fan oline problems (if you weren't already) became very apparent to us as niner fans how much they can change the game.

I don't see how the Niner's can possibly be thinking about drafting a RB right now. Maybe if Deangelo Williams shows something incredible between now and April and both Gore and Barlow are not ready after their surgeries... but I still don't see it. Between Barlow, Gore, Hicks, etc. there is going to be a body there at RB to carry for 3ypc behind our putrid O-line.

At #7 there isn't going to be a justifiable RB to take IMO, even though I think Williams is going to be a star. There's a lot of talent at positions we need available in this draft. I would be surprised it we don't nag an OL in the first round.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Azrael » Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:26 pm

I heard on the radio today that Denver may be interested in trading for Williams.

Here's a link I found regarding the rumor.

http://ricky-williams-news.newslib.com/ ... 7-3187641/
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Timbathia » Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:57 pm

Azrael wrote:I heard on the radio today that Denver may be interested in trading for Williams.

Here's a link I found regarding the rumor.

http://ricky-williams-news.newslib.com/ ... 7-3187641/

Someone in the Broncos organisation , I think Shanahan, was quoted somewhere as saying they want to acquire a playmaker for the offense, either TO or Ricky this off-season (but not both). I guess once they make their decision which one they want, then they will make a pretty decent attempt to get them.
Timbathia
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby WickedSmaat » Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:23 am

I think if anything they should take TO over Ricky if they could get him. But who knows if TO will like Plummer throwing him the ball. Denver has a pretty good running game, always has been, probably always will be. It won't hurt them to get Ricky though. May bite them if they get TO.
-Wicked
WickedSmaat
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Singing songs of satisfaction toooooo the wooooooorld..... (the world).

Postby VaderFin » Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:13 am

From the Miami Herald:

The Denver Broncos have had at least two internal discussions about acquiring Dolphins running back Ricky Williams, but the teams have not talked about a deal.
The Denver Post, citing two NFL sources, reported this week that coach Mike Shanahan might consider trading for Williams but likely only if the team does not trade for receiver Terrell Owens.
The Broncos have a desire to add playmakers at receiver and running back and this week hosted a meeting that included Owens, his South Florida agent, Drew Rosenhaus and Shanahan.
The Broncos' preliminary interest in Williams stems from a desire to upgrade a position manned by Mike Anderson and Tatum Bell. Both had good seasons in 2005 -- Anderson gaining 1,014 yards and Bell 921 -- but neither possesses the combination of size and speed that Williams has and Denver wants.
Dolphins coach Nick Saban on Wednesday declined to comment on a possible deal with the Broncos, but a source said no talks between the teams have taken place. Moreover, the Broncos have not talked to Williams' agent, Leigh Steinberg, according to another source.
That Williams is available is without doubt, however.
During his final regular-season news conference, Saban said every player on the Dolphins roster is available for the right price. When pressed about Williams specifically, he said the best interest of the franchise would force him to listen to any offer.
Williams, meanwhile, seemed to warm to the notion of playing elsewhere during the season. Early on he seemed uncomfortable with such talk but toward the end of the season said he would accept a trade if it happened, especially to a California team.
No NFL trades can be made until the league year begins in March, although teams routinely hold informal talks about players well in advance of that.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby MadScott » Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:54 pm

Those are the most substantiated rumors I've seen so far in regards to Ricky. The Denver thing makes perfect sense. I have to say, with the way they like to play, the Ricky move is far better for them than the TO move.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby lushmd » Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:49 pm

MadScott wrote:Those are the most substantiated rumors I've seen so far in regards to Ricky. The Denver thing makes perfect sense. I have to say, with the way they like to play, the Ricky move is far better for them than the TO move.

I don't know about that. As someone pointed out above, given that Denver seems to be able to plug just about anyone into their backfield and get very good production on the ground, it makes more sense for them to develop their passing game (perhaps by bringing in TO). Granted, bringing in TO carries big risks, but there is no guarantee with Ricky either.
lushmd
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk