KC now going after TO - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

KC now going after TO

Moderator: Football Moderators

KC now going after TO

Postby Keyser_WV » Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:30 am

I am watching Mike and Mike and they said Carl Peterson said he was going to pursue TO as long as Herm is interested.

Sounds like they were pretty serious about getting him.

No link but they said it was in the Kansas City Star or something like that.

I think Trent Green would be a legitimate top 3 QB with a guy like TO.

That offense would be crazy with LJ and TO.
Keyser_WV
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Postby logan » Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:45 am

question is is there enough offense to go around for both TO and LJ? throw priest and gonzo into the mix and it could get pretty ugly quick. they are all going to want the ball on every play and it could go horribly wrong tothe point that we end up like the eagles circa 05. i would love to have a receiver of his calibur on the team but i don't think TO will happily fit into the scheme of things with the play makers we do have now.

here is the KC star article

Posted on Wed, Feb. 01, 2006
KC may take T.O.
Chiefs probably would wait for Eagles to cut superstar receiver
By ELIZABETH MERRILL
The Kansas City Star

Three months ago, when Dick Vermeil occupied the large fourth-floor office at Arrowhead Stadium, the Chiefs said they absolutely, positively had no interest in embattled receiver Terrell Owens.

That icy stance has changed.

Chiefs president/general manager Carl Peterson told The Star on Tuesday that Kansas City was “somewhat interested” in Owens and that Peterson planned to have an in-depth conversation with new coach Herm Edwards about the possibility of acquiring the five-time Pro Bowler.

Two things have apparently piqued the Chiefs’ interest — the hope of a possible attitude makeover after Owens’ suspension by the Eagles, and Edwards’ success in working with difficult players.

Edwards, who stresses a team-first mentality, was able to work his magic on the likes of Warren Sapp in Tampa Bay and Ty Law in New York. He’d have his hands full with Owens, who was suspended by the Eagles in November after he repeatedly criticized his team, the front office and quarterback Donovan McNabb.

“I’ve always felt Herm has the ability to bridge the gap between a lot of players,” Peterson said, “whether they’re black or white, whether they’re offense or defense or special teams, whether they’re superstars or backup players. I think that’s one of his strengths.

“Now, based on that, certainly I will have this conversation with him, and I’m sure there are other teams in the NFL who will do the same thing. But there are a lot of things that would go into it, and at the end of the day, we both may very well decide this is not the right path in which to try and follow.”

Owens has five seasons left on his contract, but the Eagles recently gave his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, permission to seek a trade. Owens reportedly visited Denver on Monday in what was called a getting-acquainted session. If no team bites on a trade, the Eagles are expected to cut Owens next month; he is due more than $7 million from Philadelphia if he’s on the roster after March 1.

The Chiefs probably will wait to see whether Owens is cut. A source familiar with the situation told The Star that an incentive-laden, one-year deal would be a possibility.

Reached on his cell phone, Rosenhaus said he had no comment on Owens’ interest in the Chiefs. “I can’t,” he said. The source indicated, however, that Rosenhaus has approached the Chiefs to gauge their interest in his client.

On the surface, Kansas City would appear to be a good fit for Owens. The Chiefs have a veteran locker room and a high-powered offense with just one hole — a big-play, marquee receiver. Eddie Kennison, who recently turned 33, is the closest the Chiefs have. He has put together back-to-back 1,000-yard seasons, but Kansas City’s wideout production drops dramatically from there.

Before his suspension, Owens torched the Chiefs for 171 yards in a 37-31 loss to the Eagles last October. After the game, he chortled, “Can’t stop me … can’t stop me … can’t stop me,” in the Arrowhead Stadium locker room.

Owens is one of just six receivers in NFL history to score 100 touchdowns. He helped Philadelphia make the Super Bowl in his first season there in 2004. But things went downhill the following spring, when Owens took a jab at McNabb by saying McNabb got tired in the Super Bowl.

Then came a contract dispute with the Eagles, and more shots at McNabb and the organization. In two different NFL cities, Owens, who entered the league in San Francisco in 1996, has been known as much for his antics as his play. As a young 49er, he was suspended and fined more than $24,000 after celebrating on the Cowboys’ star at Texas Stadium. A few years later, he pulled out a Sharpie after a touchdown.

The Chiefs and a handful of other teams are hoping Owens’ time away from football has made him contrite. Owens recently seemed humbled and soft-spoken in an unscripted commercial for Boost Mobile during the playoffs. He indicated his three months away from football had made him hungry.

“Like everybody, you have to respect his on-the-field talent,” Peterson said. “The guy is the best. But he’s missed half the season, he’s going to be a year older …

“I think what may have changed, and what I hope has changed, is the ultimate attitude of Terrell Owens. Now that he’s had a chance to step back and reflect on what has happened, how it happened and what type of reaction it had … Maybe he can say, ‘I screwed up.’ ”

The two sides of Terrell

There is no doubt that Terrell Owens is a gifted wide receiver. But there is also no doubt that he comes with a lot of baggage. The 49ers found that out. So did the Eagles. If the Chiefs decide to take a chance, they’ll have to take the bad with the good.

Good attitude

■ Catches nine passes in Super Bowl less than two months after surgery for a damaged ankle and broken leg.

■ Welcomes “Desperate Housewives” with open arms.

■ Doesn’t mind when people drop by his house to watch him do a few sit-ups.

■ If you need something to write with, he may have a Sharpie in his sock.

■ Visits victims of Hurricane Katrina on his day off.

Bad attitude

■ Never met a contract he didn’t want to renegotiate.

■ No Chunky for you! Gained reputation as NFL’s No. 1 rapper with all the shots he took at Donovan McNabb.

■ Calls Philadelphia a “classless” organization — which is probably why the Eagles don’t mind being a “T.O.-less” organization.

■ Displays lack of respect for “America’s Team.”
Last edited by logan on Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
logan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Postby Mercer Boy » Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:48 am

Back to the days of 38-35 wins for KC? :-b

That is a team that needs a bigger name WR to really be a complete offense. I don't know how much Herm would use him though...he normally is pretty conservative with the offense (although that could have been the offensive coordinator's fault).

logan is right also...somehow they'd all have to share the ball. Johnson seems to want to be the big man on the team, so if TO comes in he'd want to take the spotlight right away.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby merc » Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:58 am

Well, let's run the numbers...

Green threw for 4040 yards on 317 completions in 2005.
If we combine the receptions and yards of Johnson, Holmes, Gonzo and Kennison... we are left with:

1493 Yards on 117 receptions for TO.

And... I think that with TO on the team many of those 190 incompletions might now be caught by TO?
Thanks Anx2a for the Custom Sig

[i]2006 Cafe TSN Ultimate Salary Cap Playoff Champion[/i]
merc
General Manager
General Manager

Postby louisianacajunsam » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:15 am

first of all, priest will understand that he is a backup with limited touches next season if he comes back to the chiefs (he has a good attitude - there will be no problem there)....
secondly, kennison will not complain and will still catch over 50 passes...
thirdly, gonzo may have complained just a little last season but thats just when he was catching 2-3 passes a game (they can still get him 5 and over with t.o. there)...
theres always these what if scenarios when it comes to t.o. ...he could tear any team apart so its pointless to say well it may do this and that and this....
if they can get him on a team where he respects the coach (i think he might with tough-love minority hermy) and a good offensive system, he may succeed...i think its worth taking the chance for a team like the chiefs...they need that one pass receiving nightmare to get them to the top....they would have an elite rb, wr, and te this way...

key for a team to survive terrell owens = restrictions in contract..such as we dont have to pay you if you become a distraction blah blah blah
louisianacajunsam
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby VaderFin » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:31 am

Let's forget off the field for a moment....T.O. to Kansas City would be huge. LJ in the backfield, Gonzo at TE and TO at WR would be absolutely sick. Trent Green wouldn't know what to do with himself. Denver vs. Kansas City for T.O. could be very interesting.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby merc » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:53 am

OMg.... am I halucinating(sp)?
Did Vaderfin just say something positive about TO? ;-) :-D

merc
General Manager
General Manager

Postby logan » Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:12 am

louisianacajunsam wrote:first of all, priest will understand that he is a backup with limited touches next season if he comes back to the chiefs (he has a good attitude - there will be no problem there)....
secondly, kennison will not complain and will still catch over 50 passes...
thirdly, gonzo may have complained just a little last season but thats just when he was catching 2-3 passes a game (they can still get him 5 and over with t.o. there)...
theres always these what if scenarios when it comes to t.o. ...he could tear any team apart so its pointless to say well it may do this and that and this....
if they can get him on a team where he respects the coach (i think he might with tough-love minority hermy) and a good offensive system, he may succeed...i think its worth taking the chance for a team like the chiefs...they need that one pass receiving nightmare to get them to the top....they would have an elite rb, wr, and te this way...

key for a team to survive terrell owens = restrictions in contract..such as we dont have to pay you if you become a distraction blah blah blah

i see alot of what if's there. you can not ignore the negative effect he had in the past on the teams he has been on. the track record is there and to strong just to ignore. you can't just say priest will just be happy with his dimished role on the team. no one knows how he will react to the change in playing time. there is no guarantee he will respect herm any more than he did reid just becasue he is black.he wanted a black QB and look how that turned out.sure you can throw in restrictions in his contract but that still guarantees nothing and we could be right back where we started with a possible huge rift in the locker room. like i said i would love to have his talent but not his attitude. i stand by my claim that it is not a good fit for the team as a whole with the baggage he brings.

this team was one game form the playofffs last year. had we won one fo those games the steelers would be watching the playoffs from their couch. i don't think we would be in the bowl by any stretch but we were very close to the playoffs without a huge WR and it was more defensive breakdowns that lead to that than the fact we did not have a TO receiver on the team. we should have won that dallas game or the giants game even. defensive breakdowns are what cost us both of those games. (and a shanked FG to tie in dallas).
Last edited by logan on Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
logan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Postby VaderFin » Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:14 am

merc wrote:OMg.... am I halucinating(sp)?
Did Vaderfin just say something positive about TO? ;-) :-D

Yes, you are hallucinating. :-b
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby merc » Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:15 am

logan,

I think we're talking about the 2006 season.... not the second season in TO's stay with KC. We ARE basing our predictions on past history... ;-)

merc
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Football Talk