Donovan McNabb = Moron - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Donovan McNabb = Moron

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby merc » Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:00 am

When I first heard McNabb's comments, they made me think that it was McNabb who was the racist.... and yes, they reminded me of Rush's comments too.

Now... let's see how racist the Eagle Organization is by watching if they punish McNabb for his racist comments? If their play by play guy(or a coach) said what McNabb said, he'd probably be fired within a day, or at least be forced to apologize and withdraw his comments.
Thanks Anx2a for the Custom Sig

[i]2006 Cafe TSN Ultimate Salary Cap Playoff Champion[/i]
merc
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby eaglesrule » Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:35 am

well it is tough to punish people for using a metaphor, and I would like to believe that is what it was.

I don't think it was "racist", I think itwas not wise.

Limbaugh said the only reason he get pub is because he is black. I think there is a tad bit of difference there.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:25 pm

Limbaugh said what he said because he wasn't quite acquainted with the politics of ESPN/Primetime TV media. I believe his comments were justifiable, if not mostly correct, but he should not have said them in the setting that he did.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Cooner » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:52 pm

this whole situation is pretty sad in my opinion.

- McNabb is clearly not a person who leads well. He's softspoken, he's non-confrontational, he's not all that aggressive. Certainly not a Type A personality.

- He generally could care less about publicity, and doesn't seem all that comfortable in interviews.

- He is extremely talented, and is in an extremely high-profile city/position where he is expected to lead.

- Because of the previous point, and the fact that he is black, many look up to him as a leader for both black football players and the black community in general.

- McNabb, though clearly a very talented man on the field, is neither skilled enough in political/social savvy nor interested enough to fulfull the leadership role expected of him off the field.

- This combination of expectation by the people (white and black) and lacking by the man make for a lot of silly comments (by both the people and the man).

Really a sad series of events.

Has anyone else read the old book, "The Man" by Irving Wallace- a book about a situation in which a black man, by a wierd series of deaths, is thrust into the presidency in the 60s? That character reminds me a lot of McNabb... McNabb just wants to do his job, not as a black quarterback (and all the expectations that come with being a black quarterback from both whites and blacks), but as a quarterback. And he's pretty darn good at doing that job.

(And to those who haven't read "The Man," you should.)
Best... fantasy advice... EVER. :D

[quote]Always play the players who will get you the most points[/quote]
Cooner
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Football Talk