NFL to Help get Superdome Ready. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

NFL to Help get Superdome Ready.

Moderator: Football Moderators

NFL to Help get Superdome Ready.

Postby Guttpuppy » Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:28 pm

Jeff Duncan, New Orleans Times-Picayune - Following up on a commitment to help New Orleans rebuild and with support from Saints owner Tom Benson, NFL officials said Tuesday the league will kick in as much as $20 million to repair and renovate the tattered Superdome. The league authorized the payment last week, less than a month after the Saints announced they will play all of their 2006 regular season games in the stadium.
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:36 pm

thats good news for the Saints. dont know how much damaged was sustained but will 20 million be enough to repair all that was done?
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Mercer Boy » Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:39 pm

Anyone willing to bet that the Superdome will get first crack at the next Super Bowl up for grabs/bids? It would be something good to do for the community.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby onnestabe » Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:10 pm

GreatestShowOnEarth wrote:thats good news for the Saints. dont know how much damaged was sustained but will 20 million be enough to repair all that was done?

Not even close (but the help is welcome)...

si.com wrote:Repair costs are estimated at about $140 million and most of that is expected to be covered by the state's insurance and by FEMA.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/f ... erdome.ap/
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby moochman » Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:10 am

Gotta love it.
Our government will spend $millions of tax dollars to rebuild a sports stadium to help the people of New Orleans, all the while thousands are losing their property because they cannot afford to pay for the rebuilding/repairing of their homes.

It's a win-win. The city gets tax dollars, rids itself of lower income populations and land developers/real estate tycoons make a killing. Brilliant! Oh, and the rich bastage that wants to leave town won't have to pay a dime.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby The_Dude » Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:09 am

moochman wrote:Gotta love it.
Our government will spend $millions of tax dollars to rebuild a sports stadium to help the people of New Orleans, all the while thousands are losing their property because they cannot afford to pay for the rebuilding/repairing of their homes.

It's a win-win. The city gets tax dollars, rids itself of lower income populations and land developers/real estate tycoons make a killing. Brilliant! Oh, and the rich bastage that wants to leave town won't have to pay a dime.

There was an interesting editorial on this on NPR yesterday. About how the complexion of the city has changed given the fact that property values of non-damaged property are heavily inflated -- so poor folks can't buy houses, FEMA trailers have been resisted because there is a worry that temporary trailer homes will turn into long-term housing solutions. So basically, the poor have not come back to the city.

It will be interesting to see what a rebuilt New Orleans looks like in 10 years. Could be, from a cultural perspective, a very different city than it once was.

I am the Walrus
The_Dude
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)
Location: My ivory tower, where I oversee the intellectual development of America's youth

Return to Football Talk