"Peyton doesn't understand" - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

"Peyton doesn't understand"

Moderator: Football Moderators

"Peyton doesn't understand"

Postby no1cowboysfan » Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:06 pm

I get the feeling what Peyton doesn't understand could fill books.

Source: AP, via nflfans.com

# AP reports Indianapolis Colts QB Peyton Manning said he still doesn't understand all the fuss from his response to a question after the team's Divisional Playoff loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers. Manning said in his post-game press conference that the team had trouble in pass protection. Manning said, "I was perceived to have done something that I was 100 percent trying to avoid doing. You're saying, 'The offensive line.' I never used those words."

I thought maybe Peyton was the one Manning I could not hate. I still don't but this took a blow.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mikus » Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:13 pm

so who exactly was he referring to when he said "pass protection"? marvin harrison? or maybe tony dungy?

c'mon peyton, you messed up, now apologize to your o-line.
Thanks to madaslives911 for the sweet sig!
The Hazean: Fantasy football galore
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Location: Same place as every other blogger: My Mom's basement. That is where bloggers work, right?

Re: "Peyton doesn't understand"

Postby Atog » Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:13 pm

no1cowboysfan wrote:I get the feeling what Peyton doesn't understand could fill books.

Source: AP, via nflfans.com

# AP reports Indianapolis Colts QB Peyton Manning said he still doesn't understand all the fuss from his response to a question after the team's Divisional Playoff loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers. Manning said in his post-game press conference that the team had trouble in pass protection. Manning said, "I was perceived to have done something that I was 100 percent trying to avoid doing. You're saying, 'The offensive line.' I never used those words."

I thought maybe Peyton was the one Manning I could not hate. I still don't but this took a blow.

There's an ad in the detroit free press about how Eli Manning is signing autographs at a furniture warehouse or something. I'm not going ;-D
Atog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby cherrygarcia1911 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:18 pm

Ahhh,the guy just lost a HUGE game where everything{having homefield advantage AND the Pats already having been eliminated}was supposed to come together and just lost it.By a HUGELY wide 45yd or so FG from his "idiot" kicker and had a mob of reporters shoving mikes in his face.He forgot to be pc for a minute and called out that the Steelers were getting way too much pressure on him due to "protection problems."I don't know if he meant the o-line wasn't pulling thier considerable weight or if the coaching staff was exposing them to the blitz by bad play calling.One or the other is right though.The guy had ABSOUTELY NO time way too many times.IMO,he shouldn't PUBLICALLY blame his team or coaching staff but I can understand that the guy just got frustrated and angry at losing the game and said what he said.
Tiki Barber said similar things{like being out-coached}but appoligized later saying he didn't mean it really and it just slipped due to having JUST lost such a big game to the Panthers.
These guys are people too and say crap like all the rest of us,but Payton should take a page from Tiki and just buck up and say he's sorry.
cherrygarcia1911
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:32 pm

Peyton, Shmeyton. Bring back Jim Harbaugh, baby!!!

Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby bagobonez » Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:56 pm

I see nothing wrong with his comments. He's right, even Stevie Wonder could have seen that there was protection problems. The poor bastard. I hate to see him lose when it's not his fault.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mutantseabass » Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:19 pm

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:Peyton, Shmeyton. Bring back Jim Harbaugh, baby!!!

Go Blue!! ;-D

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:37 pm

cherrygarcia1911 wrote:Ahhh,the guy just lost a HUGE game where everything{having homefield advantage AND the Pats already having been eliminated}was supposed to come together and just lost it.By a HUGELY wide 45yd or so FG from his "idiot" kicker and had a mob of reporters shoving mikes in his face.He forgot to be pc for a minute and called out that the Steelers were getting way too much pressure on him due to "protection problems."I don't know if he meant the o-line wasn't pulling thier considerable weight or if the coaching staff was exposing them to the blitz by bad play calling.One or the other is right though.The guy had ABSOUTELY NO time way too many times.IMO,he shouldn't PUBLICALLY blame his team or coaching staff but I can understand that the guy just got frustrated and angry at losing the game and said what he said.

Problem is that Manning was the one who insisted on trying to throw deep instead of audibling into short routes that would have gained yards and made the Steelers stop blitzing. So it wasn't the coaching. And he showed his whineyasthe lack of class by pointing fingers at his O-line. Though like a true jerk he can hide behind "not saying offensive line".

Manning is a turd, from his insulting autograph commercials to his past teabag incident, and he couldn't win the big game even when the refs tried inventing ways to keep his team in it. Just shut your face now, Teabag, and try and find away to mend things with those people who block for you.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby TheRawDAWG » Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:44 pm

bagobonez wrote:I see nothing wrong with his comments. He's right, even Stevie Wonder could have seen that there was protection problems. The poor bastard. I hate to see him lose when it's not his fault.

Absolutely his fault...and others but his team had overcome all the problems of the game. They were in a position to win the game. And instead of handing the ball off to edge and getting thos emuch needed yards he insteqade heaved several throws into the end zone trying to be the hero. I don't blame this on Vandy (kick should have been closer though). 46 yards is NOT a gimme FG. He hands the Ball off to Edge, gains more yardage, hopefully gains alot more yardage, But get that first down!!! And then after gaining about 10 yards (with Edge or through the air) go for those bombs... Vandy makes a 36 yarder in that situation. Tony has to take some control away from Manning next year.

I do agree with you about his comments being ok. He maybe should apologize to the team. But his comments weren't directed at anyone. Protection comes from alot of people.
So they weren't the best...and may have ended the worst. SO WHAT!
TheRawDAWG
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:17 pm

I wouldn't percieve Peyton throwing into the endzone to win the game as him trying to be the hero. He's extremely competitive and he was just trying to win the game. I don't have a problem with his comments either. He said WE had trouble with pass protection. That sounds like a reference to a team effort to me. And since he's the offensive coordinator, audibling and naming block packages, I would interpret this to mean that he was putting at least some of the blame on himself.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Next

Return to Football Talk