"Peyton doesn't understand" - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

"Peyton doesn't understand"

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:45 pm

Free Bagel wrote:I'm so sick of all these over-sensitive people blowing everything totally out of proportion. I mean seriously, they clearly had protection problems and all he did was say they had protection problems, what's the big deal?

I don't think the 300lb. guys getting paid millions of bucks to play the line got their poor little feelings hurt. Hell, they probably went back into the locker room and their coach told them the same thing, only with several expletives inserted in the middle.

I don't know if people are bored nowadays or just tight-wads, but this "well he kind of said something that might maybe mean this and make him out to be kind of a bad guy" nonsense is just ridiculous.

I bet I could walk around with any of you for an hour and find 3 things you say more offensive than what was said here to whoever the comment was directed at here (that could be the line, that could be Edge, that could be a coach for putting together mismatches on the line for those who decided to be a smart@$$).

I agree with Bagel. Manning made one questionable comment in his whole career and he's getting crucified. It's not like TO who has a history of making horrible comments throughout his whole career.

Manning was stating the obvious and I still think he was calling out himself since he's the one who calls the pass protections.

Noone can win nowadays. Be PC 100% of the time and we call the athlete boring and wish they'd tell what they're really feeing more often. Tell the truth and everyone wonders why the athlete wasn't PC.

It's stupid. It's not a big deal and I bet every single player in that locker room agreed with what Peyton said. That's reality. The Colts pass protection sucked in that game. EVERYONE who played in or watched that game knows this.

Why do they even ask questions to players after a loss? What if Peyton said "we just got our asses kicked". Does that mean he just called out the entire team?!? Like almost everything in todays media, this has been blown way out of proportion. If the O-Line for Indy is so offended they should quit.
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby DelhommesFan1 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:04 pm

flotsamnjetsam wrote:
Free Bagel wrote:I'm so sick of all these over-sensitive people blowing everything totally out of proportion. I mean seriously, they clearly had protection problems and all he did was say they had protection problems, what's the big deal?

I don't think the 300lb. guys getting paid millions of bucks to play the line got their poor little feelings hurt. Hell, they probably went back into the locker room and their coach told them the same thing, only with several expletives inserted in the middle.

I don't know if people are bored nowadays or just tight-wads, but this "well he kind of said something that might maybe mean this and make him out to be kind of a bad guy" nonsense is just ridiculous.

I bet I could walk around with any of you for an hour and find 3 things you say more offensive than what was said here to whoever the comment was directed at here (that could be the line, that could be Edge, that could be a coach for putting together mismatches on the line for those who decided to be a smart@$$).

I agree with Bagel. Manning made one questionable comment in his whole career and he's getting crucified. It's not like TO who has a history of making horrible comments throughout his whole career.

Manning was stating the obvious and I still think he was calling out himself since he's the one who calls the pass protections.

Noone can win nowadays. Be PC 100% of the time and we call the athlete boring and wish they'd tell what they're really feeing more often. Tell the truth and everyone wonders why the athlete wasn't PC.

It's stupid. It's not a big deal and I bet every single player in that locker room agreed with what Peyton said. That's reality. The Colts pass protection sucked in that game. EVERYONE who played in or watched that game knows this.

Why do they even ask questions to players after a loss? What if Peyton said "we just got our asses kicked". Does that mean he just called out the entire team?!? Like almost everything in todays media, this has been blown way out of proportion. If the O-Line for Indy is so offended they should quit.

why should they quit? if manning thinks they are so bad, he should just ask to be traded. I hear houstan has a great line. The point is, they lost and he was looking for an excuse. If you have played sports you learn, dont ever single out another player/position and blame them. Its just flat out poor sportsmanship. I have played many sports and on the college level. NOBODY like an idiot who goes around blaming people for loses. In all the situations ive seen, everybody loses alot of respect for those people. I dont know if you have seen the shirts, but maybe someone should send it one to peyton "theres no I in team".
DelhommesFan1
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Free Bagel » Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:11 pm

DelhommesFan1 wrote:but nothing is said when manning says his line played like garbage.

Uh, so are you arguing that this thread simply doesn't exist, nor does the multiple page one that also came up when the comment was first made?

How about Manning's rebuttal that started this thread? Was that just some made up thing that never really happened? Because afterall, he can't make a rebuttal if no one ever took up issue with it.

I dunno, maybe I'm just confused because your arguement about the arguement we're having is that said arguement doesn't exist?

I need a beer to reason this one out.

Just thought I'd have some fun with it ;).
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:25 pm

DelhommesFan1 wrote:
flotsamnjetsam wrote:

why should they quit? if manning thinks they are so bad, he should just ask to be traded. I hear houstan has a great line. The point is, they lost and he was looking for an excuse. If you have played sports you learn, dont ever single out another player/position and blame them. Its just flat out poor sportsmanship. I have played many sports and on the college level. NOBODY like an idiot who goes around blaming people for loses. In all the situations ive seen, everybody loses alot of respect for those people. I dont know if you have seen the shirts, but maybe someone should send it one to peyton "theres no I in team".

I was being sarcastic in saying that the O-Line should quit.

Like I said before, I don't think Peyton was calling out his O-Line. He was stating the fact that the entire offensive unit had problems with pass protection, starting with himself since he calls the pass protections. He didn't say "we really should have won, but our O-Line was horrible today". He stated the fact that the Colts team had problems passing protecting.

It's just like a QB who just lost 49-10 saying "we just couldn't stop them today". He's stating a fact. He's not calling out his entire defensive unit.

Peyton didn't do anything wrong and wasn't being selfish at all. This has been blown way out of proportion and should be a non-issue.
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:25 am

Everything I said about "Bring back Harbaugh" aside, I think very highly of Manning. The guy is certainly one of the best quarterbacks in the game, but I don't feel he worded his feelings about the o-line, properly. The way it came across, it sounded like he was just calling out the line and not placing the blame on his shoulders. Perhaps he got emotional, perhaps not. Either way, I think it's safe to say he shoulders more than his fair share of the blame, daily. After all, it's Manning everyone says can't win the big game. That alone is enough to make someone a bit emo during a press conference interview. He just needs to put it aside and move on. I can't think of too many times where Manning threw his teammates under the bus, so I'll give him a mulligan like I did with Tiki earlier in the playoffs.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby no1cowboysfan » Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:35 am

maddog60 wrote:
Free Bagel wrote:
no1cowboysfan wrote:I played o-line through Pop and High School (not do much in HS... switch to receiver of all places), and if my QB ever said that crap to me, I'd let the next pass rush go by. It's BS.

And after saying something like that you think you're a better person here than Manning? Lmao.

I don't know what kind of prissy "everybody make sure you don't hurt anyone's feelings" school you played at, but in my experience whenever I did something to screw up the game I damn well knew it and while people of course gave out there "it's ok man it's not your fault" lines I knew that they were exactly that....lines, and I was always damn sure ready to hear about it for real from people, which I damn sure did, and I wouldn't have had it any other way.

This is football people. We're not talking about pre-pubescent girls trying to find a date to the school dance here where people are going to get their feelings hurt and cry about it. FFS, be a man people.

We can all go around telling everyone that "it's ok," and "don't worry about it you're a good boy," nothing is ever going to get done. If you're dragging @$$ at work your supervisor is going to tell you to get your act together, not pat you on the back and tell you to keep up the good work at the risk of hurting your poor little feelings.

Well put. It's like, my favorite coach in high school, he was the first guy to congratulate you when you made a big play, but he wouldn't hesitate to tell you shape up or ride the bench if you started slacking off. Nothing wrong with a little brutal honesty.

Dude, you aren't getting me. From COACHES, who gives a damn, thats their jobs. My coaches gave me crap when I wasn't up to par either. But from teammates, that's crap. If you're a team player, you do your job as best as your able, and shut the f*** up about it.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Miked_Up » Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:30 am

I'm with the majority on this one. Manning said the pass-protection was bad (and it was). He didn't call out any specific player or coach. He is at fault here, too. And, being the audible-loving QB he is, he knows that. The pass-protection was bad that game and there's no reason to tweak out on him simply because it was him that said it along with all the announcers, coaches, and fans. Give the guy a break. He pointed out a mistake about a problem that he, in part, contributed too.
Miked_Up
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby UTLonghorns » Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:29 am

They had an iffy game. They protected you the whole season though bud. Nows not the time to take a shot.

Oh and maybe you wouldn't be whining if you had a tad bit of athletism to get the hell out of that pocket.
UTLonghorns
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb Supporter

Postby eaglesrule » Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:27 am

sa\ying he wasn't calling out the line is a copout.

Everyone's first thought on protection is "O-line"

He gets a pass, but I think his playoff record is telling. At some point, the rest of the team can't always bear the brunt of the blame. His job is to run the offense, right? And he has more leeway to do that it seems than some O coordinators. So when there is a screw up, the buck stops with him. He calls the offense, he runs the offense, he executes the offense. Therefore, a screw up is ultimately his.

I think he could have just said "we lost because I didn't get the job done, turned over and called some bad protection schemes"
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Heimholder » Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:42 am

portisfan24 wrote:I didn't like the comments, but its not that big of a deal. What I am wondering is why is Peyton still talking about it? Why bring it up again? Pretty dumb if you ask me.

He didn't bring it up - a reporter asked him specifically about it, Peyton gave an answer, and a huge stupid deal was made of it. I swear, the media could easily publish their articles before they even interview someone.

Example:

Question: So, TO, would your team be better with Brett Favre as the QB?

Answer: Yes.

Headline: TERRELL OWENS HATES MCNABB!! HE WANTS EAGLES TO TRADE FOR FAVRE!!!

I don't think it will be long before more athletes answer every single question like Rasheed Wallace used to: "Both teams played hard". Or like Bobby Knight when asked what his team has to do to win: "Score more points than the other team".

I swear, I tease my wife for reading those smutty celebrity magazines, then I turn on SportsCenter and it's just as bad...
Heimholder
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk