"Peyton doesn't understand" - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

"Peyton doesn't understand"

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby moochman » Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:54 am

eaglesrule wrote:sa\ying he wasn't calling out the line is a copout.

Everyone's first thought on protection is "O-line"

He gets a pass, but I think his playoff record is telling. At some point, the rest of the team can't always bear the brunt of the blame. His job is to run the offense, right? And he has more leeway to do that it seems than some O coordinators. So when there is a screw up, the buck stops with him. He calls the offense, he runs the offense, he executes the offense. Therefore, a screw up is ultimately his.

I think he could have just said "we lost because I didn't get the job done, turned over and called some bad protection schemes"

Exactly. That is the point that freebagel and others are missing. It's not about hurting anybodies feelings. They're O-linemen, they don't have feelings anymore than they have intelligence! :-b The point is that Manning had the opportunity to tell the truth, that he refused to audible into plays designed to beat blitzes instead opting to throw downfield. And he got heavy pressure becuase of it. But instead of taking responsability, he chose to point fingers. It's one thing for the coaches to tell everyone how crappy they've played, but not fellow players.

It also shows that not only is he unwilling to take responsibility, but that he probably didn't learn. He'll throw deep patterns and ignore draws, screens, etc. the next time a team blitzes him. In his mind the O-line will be to blame if they don't win. Finger pointing are for babies, and not learning from mistakes is for losers. The only man in Peyton is in the name.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mercer Boy » Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:38 am

While we discuss this, anyone notice that Manning just accepted the "Walter Payton NFL Man of the Year" award today? :-?
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby gablefan » Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:38 am

All I know is that a couple of years ago in the playoffs, when Manning threw like 5 picks against the Pats, Did anyone on the O-Line say," We had some Quarterback problems today." ? No, they didn't. Manning needs to understand it is a team sport you win and lose as a team.
gablefan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Free Bagel » Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:38 pm

moochman wrote:
eaglesrule wrote:sa\ying he wasn't calling out the line is a copout.

Everyone's first thought on protection is "O-line"

He gets a pass, but I think his playoff record is telling. At some point, the rest of the team can't always bear the brunt of the blame. His job is to run the offense, right? And he has more leeway to do that it seems than some O coordinators. So when there is a screw up, the buck stops with him. He calls the offense, he runs the offense, he executes the offense. Therefore, a screw up is ultimately his.

I think he could have just said "we lost because I didn't get the job done, turned over and called some bad protection schemes"

Exactly. That is the point that freebagel and others are missing. It's not about hurting anybodies feelings. They're O-linemen, they don't have feelings anymore than they have intelligence! :-b The point is that Manning had the opportunity to tell the truth, that he refused to audible into plays designed to beat blitzes instead opting to throw downfield. And he got heavy pressure becuase of it. But instead of taking responsability, he chose to point fingers. It's one thing for the coaches to tell everyone how crappy they've played, but not fellow players.

It also shows that not only is he unwilling to take responsibility, but that he probably didn't learn. He'll throw deep patterns and ignore draws, screens, etc. the next time a team blitzes him. In his mind the O-line will be to blame if they don't win. Finger pointing are for babies, and not learning from mistakes is for losers. The only man in Peyton is in the name.

Peyton was specifically asked about the pass protection, to which he said we had some protection problems. I guess he could have said that the pass protection was fantastic but he just kept falling down for no reason, and then everyone could've have gone and gotten a cupcake together and run through fields of flowers holding hands and everyone be happy.

I don't exactly recall him ever saying he played well in the interview or that they would have won if someone else had played better.

This isn't the type of thing where he walked up to a microphone and said all by himself "we had protection problems" and then walked away. He was specifically asked about it amongst many other questions, and the media of course pulled out the part that could be twisted and construed any way they wanted it to make television.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby gablefan » Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:37 pm

When he says" I want to be a good teamate, but..." He knows damn well he is throwing his "pass protection" Line, under the bus!
gablefan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby biju » Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:59 pm

Free Bagel wrote:I guess he could have said that the pass protection was fantastic but he just kept falling down for no reason, and then everyone could've have gone and gotten a cupcake together and run through fields of flowers holding hands and everyone be happy.

Classic! ;-D
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby eaglesrule » Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:21 pm

Or he could have just said "We all played a horrible game"

Jsut because a question is asked doesn't mean you have to answer it.

Or maybe part of the protection problem was that he was indecisive?

It just sounds to me like a bunch of excuses. They flubbed it, and they really "should" have been playing this weekend.

IT just irritates me that he didn't just defer the comment, as it was an obvious bait.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby no1cowboysfan » Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:21 pm

Free Bagel wrote:Peyton was specifically asked about the pass protection, to which he said we had some protection problems.

and he could have specifically said no comment.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby moochman » Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:04 am

Free Bagel wrote:Peyton was specifically asked about the pass protection, to which he said we had some protection problems. I guess he could have said that the pass protection was fantastic but he just kept falling down for no reason, and then everyone could've have gone and gotten a cupcake together and run through fields of flowers holding hands and everyone be happy.

I don't exactly recall him ever saying he played well in the interview or that they would have won if someone else had played better.

This isn't the type of thing where he walked up to a microphone and said all by himself "we had protection problems" and then walked away. He was specifically asked about it amongst many other questions, and the media of course pulled out the part that could be twisted and construed any way they wanted it to make television.

He could have very easily have taken a classier approach and said the Stillers D was great today, I have to top my hat to them. Or he could've even mentioned that he was too stubborn and didn't call the right plays for the blitzes that were being throw at him. But instead he whinde about the O-line not pass protecting well enough for him to win. All Peyton, all the time.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Previous

Return to Football Talk