Edge Thinks He Is Done In Indy - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Edge Thinks He Is Done In Indy

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby onnestabe » Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:12 am

It seems pretty clear that Edge won't be in Indy next season, and there is a good chance that it won't be Rhodes either (unless he restructures, and even then there's a good chance he is still the backup), so my question is this: How much value is there in the Indy RB position? Is it worth more or less than the generic "starting RB" position? Do you see them bringing in a free agent or filling the need via the draft? Which would you rather see from a fantasy perspective?

I apologize if this has already been covered in this thread, as I haven't read all the posts over the past 6 pages. If it has already been discussed, say so, and I will shut up and read back through what's been posted.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bigGAME101 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:57 pm

onnestabe wrote:It seems pretty clear that Edge won't be in Indy next season, and there is a good chance that it won't be Rhodes either (unless he restructures, and even then there's a good chance he is still the backup), so my question is this: How much value is there in the Indy RB position? Is it worth more or less than the generic "starting RB" position? Do you see them bringing in a free agent or filling the need via the draft? Which would you rather see from a fantasy perspective?

I apologize if this has already been covered in this thread, as I haven't read all the posts over the past 6 pages. If it has already been discussed, say so, and I will shut up and read back through what's been posted.

I see it like this: the only way that an RB in Indy is going to have good fantasy value is if he is a complete back, as opposed to a scat-back or power tailback. Realistically, the only reason the colts are getting rid of Edge is due to money issues, so if they can get another back who fits the bill, then he will be a very valuable threat. Basically, if they get an every-down back, who can pass-catch and block as well as run, then he is above mediocre.
Having said that, there are a few RBs that come to mind: first is Ahman Green, who is a very good all-around back with excellent pass-catching skills. Next is Deshaun Foster, who, despite his inability to stay healthy, has good size for blocking schemes and can cath the ball better than Carolina's offense might indicate. Maurice Morris could be an option, but not as a full-time back. I can really see Indy going after a back in the draft. They pick fairly late, so they may have to wait until the second round. But here, they could find a gem in Joseph Addai, whom has excellent size and speed, great hands, and is a good blocker for the passing game. Now, I think Addai will go early, so Indy might need to make a move to get up in the second round if they want him. Although it is possible that a guy like Maroney slips in the first, it is unlikely. In my mind, Maroney is just like Edge coming out of college, and would having outstanding fantasy value if he ended up there (all the other first round backs will be gone by that point). Although there is a glutony of RBs on the free agent market, none of them quite fit Indy's sytem like Edge, so i think that indy will look to develop a young kid out of the draft to fit their system. Immediate value: probably not, long-term: most definately.

North Ancaster Astros - Crusaders Treasure Chest represent
bigGAME101
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby steelerfan513 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:05 pm

mysticphysh wrote:I wouldn't mind Edge in Pittsburgh, and dump the sweatsuit on the sidelines (staley). Probably won't happen. They'll probably stick with Fast Willie and hopefully, Staley will stay healthy enough to back him up.

i dont see it happening either. i say they either go after someone like jamal lewis or ahman green or draft someone in the first or second round. duce should be gone if the steelers are smart.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:16 pm

I read today in USA Today's Sports Weekly that Edge doesn't want Manning or Harrison to restructure their contracts for him. Edge apparently wants to be paid without any "handouts" as he put it. This leads me to believe that Peyton and Marv have both offered to restructure, so at least they're trying to keep him in Indy. That said, there's just no way Edge is staying. He wants the money given to him outright, so it's bye-bye Edge. GM Bill Polian has already announced that Wayne is certain to stay. They'll either sign him to a long term deal or they'll utilize the franchise tag on Wayne. Freeney being signed is already a given. There's no way Edge stays in Indy unless he suddenly has a chance of heart and I somehow don't see that coming to fruition.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby onnestabe » Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:25 pm

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:I read today in USA Today's Sports Weekly that Edge doesn't want Manning or Harrison to restructure their contracts for him. Edge apparently wants to be paid without any "handouts" as he put it. This leads me to believe that Peyton and Marv have both offered to restructure, so at least they're trying to keep him in Indy. That said, there's just no way Edge is staying. He wants the money given to him outright, so it's bye-bye Edge. GM Bill Polian has already announced that Wayne is certain to stay. They'll either sign him to a long term deal or they'll utilize the franchise tag on Wayne. Freeney being signed is already a given. There's no way Edge stays in Indy unless he suddenly has a chance of heart and I somehow don't see that coming to fruition.

I was about to say that it doesn't really make sense to go to so much effort to keep Wayne over Edge, but when you start thinking about positional scarcity, it makes all the sense in the world. It seems that every year there are a lot of RBs available in the draft, and even more in free agency, but it is hard to find proven WRs these days. I know that Wayne is not the first option in that offense, but having him there keeps defenses honest with regard to how they play everyone else in that offense. (It's like having Gary Sheffield bat 5th in the lineup behind Barry Bonds)
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:57 pm

onnestabe wrote:
Dr. Duran Duran wrote:I read today in USA Today's Sports Weekly that Edge doesn't want Manning or Harrison to restructure their contracts for him. Edge apparently wants to be paid without any "handouts" as he put it. This leads me to believe that Peyton and Marv have both offered to restructure, so at least they're trying to keep him in Indy. That said, there's just no way Edge is staying. He wants the money given to him outright, so it's bye-bye Edge. GM Bill Polian has already announced that Wayne is certain to stay. They'll either sign him to a long term deal or they'll utilize the franchise tag on Wayne. Freeney being signed is already a given. There's no way Edge stays in Indy unless he suddenly has a chance of heart and I somehow don't see that coming to fruition.

I was about to say that it doesn't really make sense to go to so much effort to keep Wayne over Edge, but when you start thinking about positional scarcity, it makes all the sense in the world. It seems that every year there are a lot of RBs available in the draft, and even more in free agency, but it is hard to find proven WRs these days. I know that Wayne is not the first option in that offense, but having him there keeps defenses honest with regard to how they play everyone else in that offense. (It's like having Gary Sheffield bat 5th in the lineup behind Barry Bonds)

Exactly. Solid wideouts these days aren't quite as plentiful as successful running backs. And although Marvin Harrison isn't putting up huge yardage numbers, the guy still catches a ton of scores, mostly because defenses have to stay honest by not double teaming Marvin on every drive. Without Wayne in Indy, I don't think an aging Marvin Harrison has quite the success he's had since Wayne's matured into one of the NFL's elite.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Kensat30 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:01 pm

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:
onnestabe wrote:

Exactly. Solid wideouts these days aren't quite as plentiful as successful running backs. And although Marvin Harrison isn't putting up huge yardage numbers, the guy still catches a ton of scores, mostly because defenses have to stay honest by not double teaming Marvin on every drive. Without Wayne in Indy, I don't think an aging Marvin Harrison has quite the success he's had since Wayne's matured into one of the NFL's elite.

Solid wideouts are a lot more plentiful than three down, singleback, stud RBs IMO. That's not to say that Wayne won't become more than a solid wideout someday, but right now he's not there IMO.

I love the Edge to Jax talk, just furthers my belief that Jax will be winning the division in 2006 while Indy takes a step back.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:45 pm

Kensat30 wrote:Solid wideouts are a lot more plentiful than three down, singleback, stud RBs IMO. That's not to say that Wayne won't become more than a solid wideout someday, but right now he's not there IMO.

I love the Edge to Jax talk, just furthers my belief that Jax will be winning the division in 2006 while Indy takes a step back.

Look at the number of free agent running backs available right now as opposed to the wide receivers available. Heck, look at the receivers coming out of college this year as opposed to the running backs coming out. Also, the Colts don't need an every down back to succeed. Plenty of teams are utilizing RBBC and it's working quite well for them. Just ask the Super Bowl Champion Steelers.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby mikus » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:36 pm

Kensat30 wrote:Solid wideouts are a lot more plentiful than three down, singleback, stud RBs IMO. That's not to say that Wayne won't become more than a solid wideout someday, but right now he's not there IMO.

IMO, I have to disagree. I certainly think Reggie Wayne is there. This guy was leading the league in catches about half-way through the season. He made great catches all season, and he proved himself as a possession receiver this year. But he is still the home-run threat as well (see Cincinnati game). And the definition of clutch: did you see that catch he made on the 2-point conversion against Pittsburgh? He has also proven himself to be very durable (see the Houston Texans game, where he took that wicked shot and sprung up).

This guy is on the verge of greatness, he's just waiting for Marvin to pass it down to him. He is a very, very good receiver, and a top threat in this league.
Thanks to madaslives911 for the sweet sig!
The Hazean: Fantasy football galore
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Location: Same place as every other blogger: My Mom's basement. That is where bloggers work, right?

Postby MadScott » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:01 am

mikus wrote:

IMO, I have to disagree. I certainly think Reggie Wayne is there. This guy was leading the league in catches about half-way through the season. He made great catches all season, and he proved himself as a possession receiver this year. But he is still the home-run threat as well (see Cincinnati game). And the definition of clutch: did you see that catch he made on the 2-point conversion against Pittsburgh? He has also proven himself to be very durable (see the Houston Texans game, where he took that wicked shot and sprung up).

This guy is on the verge of greatness, he's just waiting for Marvin to pass it down to him. He is a very, very good receiver, and a top threat in this league.
I still think the jury is out on Wayne. We know what Harrison did without Wayne but we have yet to see what Wayne can do sans Harrison. Wayne is a nice player, no denying that, but I don't think he's in the same class as Harrison.

As for Edge, it's not just plucking a guy from FA or rotating guys. Edge is a key guy in blitz pickup as well as being a star runner/receiver.

I agree DDD, Edge in JAX with Lefty is a scary prospect.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk