Edge Thinks He Is Done In Indy - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Edge Thinks He Is Done In Indy

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby bigGAME101 » Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:00 pm

MadScott wrote:
mikus wrote:
Kensat30 wrote:Solid wideouts are a lot more plentiful than three down, singleback, stud RBs IMO. That's not to say that Wayne won't become more than a solid wideout someday, but right now he's not there IMO.

I love the Edge to Jax talk, just furthers my belief that Jax will be winning the division in 2006 while Indy takes a step back.

IMO, I have to disagree. I certainly think Reggie Wayne is there. This guy was leading the league in catches about half-way through the season. He made great catches all season, and he proved himself as a possession receiver this year. But he is still the home-run threat as well (see Cincinnati game). And the definition of clutch: did you see that catch he made on the 2-point conversion against Pittsburgh? He has also proven himself to be very durable (see the Houston Texans game, where he took that wicked shot and sprung up).

This guy is on the verge of greatness, he's just waiting for Marvin to pass it down to him. He is a very, very good receiver, and a top threat in this league.
I still think the jury is out on Wayne. We know what Harrison did without Wayne but we have yet to see what Wayne can do sans Harrison. Wayne is a nice player, no denying that, but I don't think he's in the same class as Harrison.

As for Edge, it's not just plucking a guy from FA or rotating guys. Edge is a key guy in blitz pickup as well as being a star runner/receiver.

I agree DDD, Edge in JAX with Lefty is a scary prospect.

Not to mention an offensive line that is both very young and talented, and some quality depth at WR to keep defenses honest.

North Ancaster Astros - Crusaders Treasure Chest represent
bigGAME101
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby maddog60 » Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:04 pm

Edge + a 1st or 2nd round TE draft pick and the Jags would have one scary offense.

Not like that defense isn't pretty much one great pass rusher away from being totally dominating. Jack Del Rio is going to be on alot of analysts lips in the coming years I think.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby eaglesrule » Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:13 pm

How many times does this have to be covered? RB is NOT nearly as important in the real NFL as it is for Fantasy. In other words, NFL front offices have devalued the position. Look at how many committees there are anymore. Look at the fact that edge and SA are likely to see FA. If it were that important, there is no way they would see the light of day.

I'd venture to say there is no way a team would let a defending mvp at QB or WR walk, r even think of walking.

RB is important, but there are far more plentiful than people care to admit. This is CLEARLY borne out of the personnel decisions being made of the past few years.

Look at the FA backs: Alexander, edge, fred taylor, ahman green, jamal lewis etc.

These are BIG time names at the position, or were big time names recently, yet they are all being allowed to walk for various reasons.

RBs will find a home, but the financial structure coupled with the latest strategy has rendered them a little less important than in recent history.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby onnestabe » Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:24 pm

Kensat30 wrote:Solid wideouts are a lot more plentiful than three down, singleback, stud RBs IMO. That's not to say that Wayne won't become more than a solid wideout someday, but right now he's not there IMO.

I love the Edge to Jax talk, just furthers my belief that Jax will be winning the division in 2006 while Indy takes a step back.

First off, I think that Wayne is more than just a solid WR or a roleplayer. He does all of the small things that great WRs do to elevate their games to the next level. Unfortunately, he is not the prototype for a great WR (tall, fast), so he will probably never be considered one of the greats.

The issue at hand is not necessarily which one is harder to find, it is more which one is it more prudent to use your money on? Sure, it will be hard to find another every-down back that can catch and block well, but you can get two or three guys that can split time and get the job done, and you can get them pretty cheaply compared to what Edge wants. What you can't easily get is a #2 WR that is as polished as Reggie Wayne and can contribute in the same way. Also, you can't really use a committee approach at #2 WR the way you can at RB, so you almost have to pay someone, and it should be the guy that you know fits in your offense.

By letting Edge go to FA, they save that money and can use it on other needs, but if they were to let Wayne go, they would have to use that money to get his replacement. And besides, they brought Edge in to replace the irreplaceable Marshall Faulk, who's to say they can't find another suitable replacement this time around?
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Kensat30 » Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:08 pm

eaglesrule wrote:How many times does this have to be covered? RB is NOT nearly as important in the real NFL as it is for Fantasy. In other words, NFL front offices have devalued the position. Look at how many committees there are anymore. Look at the fact that edge and SA are likely to see FA. If it were that important, there is no way they would see the light of day.

I'd venture to say there is no way a team would let a defending mvp at QB or WR walk, r even think of walking.

I disagree. Just because RB is not a highly valued position cap wise in the NFL, does not mean it isn't important. RB is an easier position to replace adequately, because there is a lesser learning curve. That's what makes it so replaceable. Yet the top-notch guys (Tomlinson, Portis) still command the big money that elite players at other position do like Moss/Harrison, Pace/Walters, etc.

If I'm in the Colt's position, and I've got one of the best #1 and best #3 WRs in the game, why not bring in the cheap veteran WR instead of the cheap RB? Last time I checked, you need a running game to win the Super Bowl.
-----

And since when was Reggie Wayne even close to an MVP candidate? You know, I heard all the Wayne-hype this past season where he was gonna pass Harrison in productivity, and was touted as the #1 WR on the Colt's offense etc. etc., but I have yet to see him do much more than ride on Harrison's coattails at this point. How do you guys know that he isn't more than Peerless Price part #2? He's been groomed as a #2 WR ever since he was a rookie, and there is a huge difference between a good #2 WR and a good #1 WR. Ask Brandon Lloyd.

[/quote]
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Previous

Return to Football Talk