Hall of Fame Inductees - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Hall of Fame Inductees

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Plindsey88 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:26 pm

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:
no1cowboysfan wrote:
Dr. Duran Duran wrote:
Slingblade wrote:Wow, I have never looked at Art's stats before. They really actually suck in terms of the HoF.

Yeah, individually, his seasons don't stack up very well. But, like Charlie Joiner before him, his longevity provided some lofty totals.

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeease. In a world where "I am extremely overrated" Lynn Swann is in the Hall, you're telling me Art Monk doesn't deserve to be in? No way, no how.

Personally, I don't think Swann deserves to be in the Hall. Just because he was a postseason hero doesn't warrant Hall status. Swann never once had a single 1,000 yard season. Heck, Swann never even had a 900 yard season.

Football is a team sport... Sometimes it is less important what a guy did on his own, and more important what he did for his team...

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:42 pm

Plindsey88 wrote:
Dr. Duran Duran wrote:
no1cowboysfan wrote:
Dr. Duran Duran wrote:
Slingblade wrote:Wow, I have never looked at Art's stats before. They really actually suck in terms of the HoF.

Yeah, individually, his seasons don't stack up very well. But, like Charlie Joiner before him, his longevity provided some lofty totals.

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeease. In a world where "I am extremely overrated" Lynn Swann is in the Hall, you're telling me Art Monk doesn't deserve to be in? No way, no how.

Personally, I don't think Swann deserves to be in the Hall. Just because he was a postseason hero doesn't warrant Hall status. Swann never once had a single 1,000 yard season. Heck, Swann never even had a 900 yard season.

Football is a team sport... Sometimes it is less important what a guy did on his own, and more important what he did for his team...

That statement you just made leaves the door open for a hell of a lot of players like Swann. Are you saying that Swann, during their postseasons, did enough to warrant being a Hall of Famer, because what he did during the regular season certainly doesn't.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Goatwhacker » Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:52 pm

Art Monk is overrated and doesn't deserve to be in the HOF. Saying other lesser players are in the HOF so Monk deserves it is a weak argument.

Monk was All-Pro only 2 out of his 16 seasons and played in 3 Pro Bowls. Big Deal. Even his contemporaries didn't think he was that hot. I don't see why everybody is jumping on the Monk bandwagon. You don't get to be in the HOF just because you survived 16 seasons.
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:56 pm

Goatwhacker wrote:Art Monk is overrated and doesn't deserve to be in the HOF. Saying other lesser players are in the HOF so Monk deserves it is a weak argument.

Monk was All-Pro only 2 out of his 16 seasons and played in 3 Pro Bowls. Big Deal. Even his contemporaries didn't think he was that hot. I don't see why everybody is jumping on the Monk bandwagon. You don't get to be in the HOF just because you survived 16 seasons.

Why is comparing him to lesser players already in the Hall a weak arguement?
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Goatwhacker » Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:01 pm

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:Why is comparing him to lesser players already in the Hall a weak arguement?

It assumes every player in the HOF deserves to be there, which is a dubious assumption. Basically what it says is that any player as good or better than the worst player in the HOF should be in the HOF. I understand someone making that argument, but personally feel it cheapens the whole concept.
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Football Talk