Anyone else's opinion of the Bus change? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

Anyone else's opinion of the Bus change?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:28 pm

louisianacajunsam wrote:huge. just because you dont agree with me, doesn't mean there is a reason to bash me. now i know you probably think you have some kind of forum reputation to uphold, but taking it out on me for using periods in my writing is childish. grow up dude. and i dont know what you're trying to accuse me of, but if its being stupid, i graduated from college in four years with a 3.6 gpa while playing football and fulfilling my responsibilities in a fraternity. however, this is a forum and i can do nothing about your remarks so do whatever the hell you want.

hall of fame isn't always about stats. sometimes its the reputation a man builds for himself, and yes, sometimes it does take longevity to get there (personally i loved terrell owens and his style on and off the field - he wont make it to the hof because of lack of longevity and i disagree with that).

however, bettis is in my list of the top ten running backs of all time. not the last two years. but he was really great for around 5-7 years with pitt.

in your argument, terrell owens is probably the best receiver of all time.


There is no way Bettis is a top 10 RB of all time. I just posted that I like him as a person and have always thought he was a class act but top 10 RB of all time? No way.

Barry Sanders
Jim Brown
Walter Payton
Eric Dickerson
Emmitt Smith
Earl Campbell
Marcus Allen
Tony Dorsett
Franco Harris
Gale Sayers

That's 10 off the top of my head. All those players are retired. Add current players.

LT2
SA
Curtis Martin
Marshall Faulk
Edge

Not to mention

Priest Holmes
Terrell Davis
Thurman Thomas
OJ Simpson


Do you know how many times the Bus had led the league OR conference in rushing for a season? NONE. The Bus was a good/very good back who played for a long time. I just named 19 guys off the top of my head who I think are/were better than the Bus so he wouldn't make my top 20.
flotsamnjetsam
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 17169
(Past Year: 78)
Joined: 12 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: New York State Of Mind: 18-1

Postby Nilmerf » Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:49 pm

I think the Bus is a good character guy and his retirement at home winning the Super Bowl is a nice story. However, it always kind of irks me how every play.. he is tackled, and then his fat makes him fall forward a couple yards and get a nice ball spot from the refs.
Nilmerf
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar
Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 2059
Joined: 17 Nov 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: BC

Postby TN_Titans_05 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:54 pm

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:Personally, I love Bettis. He's an emotional player, selfless and a stand up guy. He's taken a backseat to other running backs without raising a stink, he's taken a paycut to stay in Pittsburgh and he's done so much for the Pittsburgh community. I see little, to no, reason to find any fault with Bettis. I'm happy he got his ring and I'm pleased that he'll be going out on a high note.


Agreed....dont see that much anymore these days!
Last edited by TN_Titans_05 on Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image

C-H-A-M-P-I-O-N-S-H-I-P
TN_Titans_05
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe RankerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 4461
Joined: 6 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Clinching Playoff Spots

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:55 pm

Nilmerf wrote:I think the Bus is a good character guy and his retirement at home winning the Super Bowl is a nice story. However, it always kind of irks me how every play.. he is tackled, and then his fat makes him fall forward a couple yards and get a nice ball spot from the refs.


His fat makes him fall forward? C'mon guys, this is a bit silly making fat comments about the Bus. The guy didn't rack up nearly 14,000 yards by accident. If anything, the guy should be credited for being so big and racking up that many yards.
Image
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 14333
Joined: 20 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Room 7609

Postby jh2031 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:13 pm

Jerome is a class act and a great guy. Never saw a guy take so much time signing autographs, taking pictures, ect. He gives time/money to charities and all he wanted to do was win a championship. I really doubt he cares that he's the 5th all time leading rusher or that he's been is 6 pro bowls. There will never be another guy like him.
jh2031
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 3595
Joined: 17 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Pittsburgh, PA....Awaiting our next Super Bowl

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:17 pm

With all of the selfish play in the NFL, that most have come to simply accept now, it's nice to see a guy who willingly takes over as #2, wins and gets some credit, not just for this season or this game's performance, but for what he's meant for the fans of Pittsburgh. Unselfish player who loved to play.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 12290
Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Probably over there

Postby MadScott » Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:33 pm

Plindsey88 wrote:I think he's a class act... You never hear Jerome bitching and moaning about he's not utilized enough in the offense... You never see him complaining about losing touches... He was the first guy congratulating Big Ben after his TD, even though 3rd and short on the 1/2 yard line in the Super Bowl would seem to be Jerome's territory....

In this day and age, it is refreshing to see a guy as selfless as Jerome, who played for the enjoyment of the game... You never heard of Jerome holding out for more money... You never saw him do things for his own personal glory... He was always the epitome of team player.... And he went out with that same attitude... I was happy to see him get a ring... I think he is deserving... There are a lot of other guys who would not have handled themselves near as graciously as Jerome Bettis....
Nice post Plinds, couldn't agree more. This guy has been a gentleman all the way back to his ND days. He was dismissed unceremoniously by the Rams and didn't whine or bitch, it simply motivated him to work his way into becoming a HOF RB. When it's all said and done, his bust will be in Canton.
Image
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 5924
Joined: 27 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Kensat30 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:38 pm

Bettis has been about as solid as TJ Duckett for the past 5 years. The guy was a good player in his time, but in the end he should be remembered as a compiler and not a HOF caliber player. The guy never had greatness, he just hung on long enough to get on some record lists and win a Super Bowl trophy when he was running on fumes. He just as easily could have been remembered as the guy who sputtered out and single-handedly eliminated Pitt from the playoffs against Indy.
---

When an outstanding RB like Thurman Thomas doesn't make it into the Hall, and Bus is getting serious consideration from everyone and their brother.. that's a travesity. The NFL HOF is about GREATNESS and that's just not the Bus. Maybe it's because he is a lot bigger than the average RB and he is a great guy, who knows? He does stand out from the crowd of RBs throughout time. But bottom line: Compilers shouldn't make the Hall of Fame IMO.

Do we really want the NFL's HOF to be reduced to baseball's level?


I would rather see Sterling Sharpe and Terrell Davis in the HOF rather than guys like Art Monk and Jerome Bettis.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Writer
Posts: 6427
Joined: 2 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:43 pm

Thurman Thomas is a Hall of Famer. But that's another thread...
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 12290
Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Probably over there

Postby Warhawk » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:46 pm

Slingblade wrote:He has never had a really huge year. His best YPC was 4.9 in his rookie year. Just a case of a guy playing to long to rack up the stats. That is the only reason he is that high on the all time rushing list. He should of retired after his 2001 season.


By that definition, Edgerrin James, Curtis Martin, and Marcus Allen never really had huge years either, seeing as they never had a year with a 4.9 yard per carry average. Priest Holmes, Ladainian Tomlinson, Earl Campbell, Eric Dickerson, Emmitt Smith, Franco Harris, and Terrell Davis each only have had 1 year with a better YPC than that year by Bettis. So apparently all of them clearly should not be in the HOF.
Warhawk
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar
Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 1819
Joined: 16 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 10:35 hours
(and 38 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact