Cowher a Hall of Famer? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Cowher a Hall of Famer?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby UTLonghorns » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:51 pm

mysticphysh wrote:Salisbury said he was a HOFer before the SB, I disagree. I don't think he would have been concidered if he never won a SB. Now that he has one under his hat, he's a shoe in once he decides to retire...concidering he's in his 40's that might be awhile. :-b

Yeah, Salisbury was way off. How can a coach go down without a ring. It just doesn't work that way. Its good that cowher got the ring, hes a sure HOF'R
UTLonghorns
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby maddog60 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:03 pm

Cowher was always underrated due to not having the ring. I think he should have gotten in even if he didn't win this one. Now that he has, he defintiely would get in.

Cowher has a 10-6 average regular season record over 14 years. He's come one game shy of undefeated at his best, and only ever sank as low as 6-10. He's got a 12-9 playoff record with a huge 10 playoff appearances in 14 years. He's averaging two playoff births every three years, that's sickly good.

He's one of the best coaches in the NFL right now, and given his age, could end up being one of the best ever when he's done.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Cooner » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:35 pm

Mercer Boy wrote:It's hard to say how much the coordinators and staff have to do with their success, though. :-?

Normally I would agree with you, and for a long time I did agree with you, but the incredible turnover rate of coordinators makes me question this. For instance, Cowher is clearly a good LB coach, probably would make an excellent line coach. But my impressions are that he wouldn't make a good offensive coordinator. Yet, with so many offensive coordinators succeeding in Pittsburgh, I wonder if he isn't better at it than we give him credit for.

Or to rephrase, could Cowher possibly be getting this lucky with so many offensive coordinators in a row? Maybe it's simply a case of being very good at identifying talent. But is that really that different/less effective than being a good offensive coordinator himself? I'd say no.
Best... fantasy advice... EVER. :D

[quote]Always play the players who will get you the most points[/quote]
Cooner
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Azrael » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:40 pm

I don't understand how 1 SB win makes you an HOF while not having won doesn't. Plenty of great players who did not have the supporting cast to win a SB are still HOF. Why should that be any different for a coach?
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby jh2031 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:57 pm

Azrael wrote:I don't understand how 1 SB win makes you an HOF while not having won doesn't. Plenty of great players who did not have the supporting cast to win a SB are still HOF. Why should that be any different for a coach?

I agree. There was a point made on the Nightly sports call yesterday *local show in Pittsburgh* and one guy said...does Jon Gruden deserve to be in the HOF for a super bowl victory? Does Brian Billick deserve to be in the HOF for a super bowl victory? I rather have a coach in the Hall who has great seasons over his entire tenure with his team and is a classy guy.
jh2031
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby mysticphysh » Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:41 am

Azrael wrote:I don't understand how 1 SB win makes you an HOF while not having won doesn't. Plenty of great players who did not have the supporting cast to win a SB are still HOF. Why should that be any different for a coach?

Cowher's winning percentage should get him in the Hall. I'm not entirely sure, but I believe he's been with a head coach with the Steelers for 14 years and 10 of those years were winning seasons. He's won the AFC twice and now the Superbowl once. He's also been to the AFC championship...um...6 times total? Something like that. So anyways, the guy knows how to win, and now he's over the hump. And to have that kind of resume and do it with only one team and to still only be in his 40s? Yes, that's HOF caliber right there.
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mysticphysh » Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:43 am

jh2031 wrote:
Azrael wrote:...does Jon Gruden deserve to be in the HOF for a super bowl victory.

Gruden won the Superbowl with a ready-made team built by Tony Dungy :-b
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby maddog60 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:25 am

I think it's an undo importance that is put on the position. Much like winning Superbowls at QB. People use that argument when debating top QBs, but no other position. Coaches are likewise under that same scrutiny with Superbowls. Until they win one, their ability is questioned. I don't agree with it, but its how it goes.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby moochman » Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:27 pm

I'm a Lions fan so I have no first hand knowledge HOF coaches.

The Chin is surely in. His record, now a SB win, plus that he is an NFL icon. Heck, he is almost a living legend now.

The Chin is in. And deserves to be. Pittsburgh is a team that I have always thought of as parting with FAs easier than Jeremy Stevens can drop another pass. Heck, Last season they let Burress walk and now they rule the NFL world. Look at the players they lost during Cohwer's reign, yet he has kept them in the hunt. Don't you think coaching has something to do with that. You're darn right it does.

The coaching branch of the HOF will one day have a new face, and the face will be The Chin. ;-D

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby steelerfan513 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:31 pm

before the super bowl it looked like no. after the super bowl, it was a certainty. what else is there to say?
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Previous

Return to Football Talk