The silent majority.. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

The silent majority..

Moderator: Football Moderators

The silent majority..

Postby Ydub » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:53 am

Did the officials stael the Super Bowl? Nearly 130,000 people have weighed in on this topic at ESPN.com. Here are the results.

1) What grade would you give referee Bill Leavy's officiating crew for Super Bowl XL?

50.1% F

25.1% D

14.2% C

8.8% B

1.9% A

2) How do you rate the overall state of officiating in the NFL?

34.3% Average

32.9% Bad

19.2% Good

11.7% Abysmal

1.9% Excellent

3) Did the officiating in Sunday's game unfairly favor one team?

78.9% Unfairly favored the Steelers

16.4% The right calls were made

4.7% Unfairly favored the Seahawks

4) Which played the biggest role in determining the outcome of the game?

57.0% Officials missing calls

28.6% Seahawks not making plays

14.4% Steelers making plays

5) Do you think the official made the right call on Darrell Jackson's offensive pass interference in the endzone, negating a Seattle touchdown in the first quarter?

73.5% No

20.8% Yes

5.7% I'm not sure

6) Do you think the football broke the plane of the goal line on Ben Roethlisberger's touchdown run in the second quarter?

59.2% No

26.0% Yes

14.8% I'm not sure

7) Do you think the official made the right call on Sean Locklear's holding penalty in the fourth quarter, negating an 18-yard reception to the one-yard line by Jerramy Stevens?

74.0% No

15.5% Yes

10.5% I'm not sure

8) Do you feel that you understand what constitutes a ''football move'' on plays involving potential fumbles?

64.8% Yes

35.2% No

9) How much would creating full-time officiating positions, instead of the current part-time positions, help improve the quality of NFL officiating?

45.0% A lot

42.5% A little

12.5% Not at all

10) Which major sport has the best officials?

44.9% MLB

23.4% NHL

20.3% NBA

11.4% NFL

Total Votes: 127,880
"Napoleon is not only a provider for his family; he’s an attacker on the field." - Napoleon Harris' website bio
Ydub
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby HskrPwr13 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:57 am

Is this news? Even though one cant buy into a on-line poll, I cant believe these results surprise anyone.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby CC » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:58 am

It's pretty easy to "officiate" the MLB apart from balls and strikes, and that's only one guy and there are frequent arguements.

I actually thought the officials made the right calls apart from the holding and the Hasselbeck tackle.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mattb47 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:01 pm

And if you think about it....the majority of the people who would find a poll like this are going to be the ones upset with the calls that were made. So these results don't really surprise me at all.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Ydub » Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:04 pm

HskrPwr13 wrote:Is this news? Even though one cant buy into a on-line poll, I cant believe these results surprise anyone.

Do I think it's news? No. Do you think it's news? Probably not. However, there are more than few Steeler fans stumbling in the dark with a pair of shades and a seeing eye dog. And to them, this is more than news...it's a newsflash.
"Napoleon is not only a provider for his family; he’s an attacker on the field." - Napoleon Harris' website bio
Ydub
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby The_Dude » Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:07 pm

mattb47 wrote:And if you think about it....the majority of the people who would find a poll like this are going to be the ones upset with the calls that were made. So these results don't really surprise me at all.

As a disgruntled Seahawks fan who also knows a lot about survey research and statistiscs, online polls are my pet peeve because they insinuate that they are tapping into majority opinion. While these results are fairly compelling, especially given the large numerical majorities, we can't really get a handle on public opinion unless we use scientific random or stratified survey techniques. So while this makes me feel warm and fuzzy and vindicated, online polls are essentially meaningless.

Dude

I am the Walrus
The_Dude
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)
Location: My ivory tower, where I oversee the intellectual development of America's youth

Postby mattb47 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:11 pm

Ydub wrote:
HskrPwr13 wrote:Is this news? Even though one cant buy into a on-line poll, I cant believe these results surprise anyone.

Do I think it's news? No. Do you think it's news? Probably not. However, there are more than few Steeler fans stumbling in the dark with a pair of shades and a seeing eye dog. And to them, this is more than news...it's a newsflash.

Why would it be a newsflash to Steelers fans? As The Dude said, the online polls really don't mean anything because it doesn't get a broad range of voters like a poll needs to actually have meaning.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Ydub » Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:11 pm

mattb47 wrote:And if you think about it....the majority of the people who would find a poll like this are going to be the ones upset with the calls that were made. So these results don't really surprise me at all.

C'mon, you know that every hardcore Steeler fan that runs across this poll is going to jump on the chance to cast Pittsburgh in a favorable light. This poll was on the front page of ESPN's SB XL coverage. There are 130,000 people that took the time to fill out a 10 question survey. It's legitimate.
Ydub
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby mattb47 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:15 pm

Honestly, if I saw a survey like that, I wouldn't give it a second thought of filling it out. Like I said, the people who are more likely to take the time to fill something like that out are fans who were unhappy with the way the refs handled the game. Doensn't bother me one bit to see these results.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Ydub » Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:41 pm

mattb47 wrote:Honestly, if I saw a survey like that, I wouldn't give it a second thought of filling it out. Like I said, the people who are more likely to take the time to fill something like that out are fans who were unhappy with the way the refs handled the game. Doensn't bother me one bit to see these results.

That's fine. I think the results of the poll represent the general consensus amongst neutral fans who really pay attention and enjoy the game. I don't give a rat's anus about the Seahawks or the Steelers. As a fan, it was my desire to watch a football game that was well played, fairly officiated, and without controversy. It's a shame that didn't happen. You obviously don't agree, and you know what? That's OK.

By the way, I feel the same way about PIT-IND AFC semi's. I love football, and hate to see it devolve into a WWE match..were the outcome is predetermined and every move is choreographed. We're obviously a long way from that kind of scenario...but these last few weeks of games have left me with a horrible feeling. My hat's off to the Steelers. The were good enough to overcome the officiating. The Seahawks weren't.
Ydub
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Next

Return to Football Talk