The silent majority.. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

The silent majority..

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Warhawk » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:59 pm

Ya know, watching the replay, I kind of get the impression the DB was off balance even before DJax put his arm out there.
Warhawk
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Lung » Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:03 pm

Free Bagel wrote:I guess Steeler fans just need to decide whether they would rather have a Super Bowl championship with doubt and discussion about the refs that no one will remember 10 years from now, or if they would have rather not gotten the calls and probably not be Super Bowl champs.

In ten years, and probably only five years, all that will be remembered was that the Steelers won the Superbowl for the 2005 season.

Virtually no one will remember there was (debatedly) a few questionable officiating calls.
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 73)

Postby Mercer Boy » Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:35 pm

The Lung wrote:The entire Game Commentary forum was locked, methinks, because of this debate.

Doubt it...why leave forums open when the games are over (except for the Pro Bowl which I think was forgotten about)? Stray posts in off forums during the off season are somewhat annoying, so locking the forum keeps it from happening.

BTW...the only people who can lock whole forums are the admins, so don't look at any of us. }:-) :-)
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Azrael » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:00 am

Hey, I heard they changed our trophy into aluminum foil and our rings are lead and cubic zirconia.

1. The biggest thing that bugs me about the whole ref thing is that people are making the assumption that Seattle automatically wins if they get a call or 2. These people don't want to put the blame on the Seahawks for making mistakes or give credit for the Steelers for making plays. I see a number of things overlooked by the complainers.

A. Many dropped balls by Seahawks, namely Stevens.

B. 2 missed field goals

C. (Seen mentioned before) Stevens fumble ruled incomplete.

D. Hass fumble where he was luckily brushed by Foote; correct call but still a break that went Seattle's way.

E. 2 huge TDs by Steelers.

F. 1 Steeler TD is set up by an exceptional play made on 3rd and 28 (gee, imagine that, the Steelers overcame great odds to make a play w/o the officials help).

G. Hass INT occurs on 2nd down and 25 on the Steelers 27 with 11 mins left in the game with the score 14-10. Instead of blaming the refs for the holding and losing their cool, how about making a play or 2 to atleast get their field goal kicker a little closer and make it 14-13 with half a quarter to play. And how about this, if they actually would have made 1 of their previous 2 tries, they are ahead at this point 16-14...despite the officials taking the game from them.

H. Ben makes an enormous error that turned atleast a sure 17-3 lead into a 14-10 game, but that wasn't a gift from the Steelers right, just the Seahawks playing good ol' Seahawk football. Make no mistake, this was an error on the QB, not a miraculous play by Herndon. Wilson was open but he misjudged the throw.

What I'm trying to point out here is that there were more than enough plays made/to be made that the officials cannot be blamed and that the things that went against the Steelers are vastly overlooked because they won.

2. Regarding the penalties.

A1. The D-Jax offensive PI is one that you see probably 100 times a year that is probably called 10 times a year. I think this was said but just because it isn't called often doesn't mean it isn't a penalty, just like "leaping" and "aiding the runner", penalties almost never called but if they ever are, that team got "screwed" just because they are not usuall called.

A2. My 2nd thought on this particular penalty, after having read almost all the posts regarding this issue is that a number of people went to their TiVos and watched this play frame by frame and came back and posted things like "D-Jax did have his arm extended but it appeared it was just the momentum of his body changing directions and the defender was already leaning the opposite direction" Honestly, you people watched this thing in slow motion (probably numerous times) and came up with an analysis like that, while the official had one time to look at it at full speed. I think what caught his eye was Jackson's arm extending as he moved away from the defender. Yes, it's an iffy call, mainly because OPI is not called often. But just plain screwed, I honestly think not.

B. The D-Jax in/out TD. I haven't seen it since the SB. I saw it once in full motion and a couple replays they did at the time. My first thought was, no catch his right foot was out. This particular call I have not seen or heard of being hotly contested other than on this message board. I don't know if his foot hit the pylon. I don't know what the rule is if his foot hit the pylon. People are complaning because they think he touched the pylon but even so, I don't think this counts as 2 feet in. I thought 2 feet on the ground was 2 feet on the ground, not 2 feet on the ground unless you're close enough to kick the pylon or unless you can only get 1 foot in but you can reach the ball over the goal before your 2nd foot steps out. I think when making a catch, you first need 2 feet down in bounds before you are able to score, perfect example are catches IN the endzone. I'm very certain the correct call was made here.

Finally, if this was so close, why wasn't it reviewed?

C. Regarding the Hasselbeck "tackle penalty". This was certainly a bad call. I personally think it is irrelevant on the outcome of the game because that flea-flicker from Randle-El to Ward scores from the Seahawks 43 or the Steelers 42.

D. The "phantom hold" as it was referred to. I can't find the picture but I know someone posted a still shot of that play that looked to me like Locklear was holding. Even if it wasn't holding...again people make the foregone conclusion that:

1. Seattle was screwed because the result of the play would have been 1st and goal from the 1 even though the flag was thrown prior to the completion of the play...but what if Stevens drops the ball AGAIN, just another normal holding call then;

and

2. Alexander probably punches it in from the one. Many things can happen. Just look at the Steelers on the Colts 1 or even the Steelers 2nd and goal at the Seattle 6. I mean, pencil that in for atleast 3 right? Wrong, INT going the other way, 3 plays later it's atleast a 10 point swing.

That's all I have. The main reason for all the complaints about the officiating is because there were quite a few calls made that went against the Seahawks, that would have resulted in big plays for the Seahawks had they not been called, that subsequently resulted in an unfortunate outcome for the Seahawks.

I could add my own thoughts on officiating but that would just result in more debates and arguments which ultimately result in no good end.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby umphrey » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:34 am

These polls are so ridiculously biased. Pretty much every Seahawks fan gave the refs an F and a lot of Steelers fans gave the refs an A just to spite them.
umphrey
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Sixxgunn » Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:09 am

The Lung wrote:
Free Bagel wrote:I guess Steeler fans just need to decide whether they would rather have a Super Bowl championship with doubt and discussion about the refs that no one will remember 10 years from now, or if they would have rather not gotten the calls and probably not be Super Bowl champs.

In ten years, and probably only five years, all that will be remembered was that the Steelers won the Superbowl for the 2005 season.

Virtually no one will remember there was (debatedly) a few questionable officiating calls.

I don't know that I can agree with this. In a game as lame as that, people are going to remember the controversey, not the score. Heck, I bet in two years time, you will have people at your party that can't even remember who played. Besides, this seems alot like the White Sox situation, and I don't think that will ever die. May as well put an asterisk next to their names in the books.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Arlo » Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:40 pm

The_Dude wrote:So while this makes me feel warm and fuzzy and vindicated, online polls are essentially meaningless.

What, even our front page poll? :-b

Warhawk wrote:I thought it was locked because there are no more games to comment on. :-?

Exactly. :-)
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The_Dude » Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:59 pm

Arlo wrote:
The_Dude wrote:So while this makes me feel warm and fuzzy and vindicated, online polls are essentially meaningless.

Did I forget to say, "except for the Fantasy Football Cafe's frontpage poll!" ?

I swear that was in the first draft of my post.

Rest assured, the FFCFPP (what it will be heretofore known as) is tapping into the true sentiment, without sampling error, of the voice of the people. Any other interepretation of its results are incorrect.

I am the Walrus
The_Dude
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)
Location: My ivory tower, where I oversee the intellectual development of America's youth

Postby Arlo » Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:42 pm

The_Dude wrote:
Arlo wrote:

Did I forget to say, "except for the Fantasy Football Cafe's frontpage poll!" ?

I swear that was in the first draft of my post.

Rest assured, the FFCFPP (what it will be heretofore known as) is tapping into the true sentiment, without sampling error, of the voice of the people. Any other interepretation of its results are incorrect.

OK, just checking. ;-)
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Football Talk