"Go Seahawks!...you're sentenced to life in prison." - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

"Go Seahawks!...you're sentenced to life in prison."

Moderator: Football Moderators

"Go Seahawks!...you're sentenced to life in prison."

Postby awwchrist » Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:35 pm

Sorry if this had already been posted.

This probably wasn't the best idea.

TACOMA -- A judge overseeing a manslaughter case embarrassed prosecutors and upset the victim's family when she called for a Super Bowl cheer for the Seahawks before the start of the sentencing hearing.

As Judge Beverly G. Grant took the bench Friday, she asked everyone in court to say "Go Seahawks." Dissatisfied with the low volume of the response, she told them to try again.

Only then did she hear statements from prosecutors, defense lawyers and relatives of the slain Tino Patricelli, as well as an apology from defendant Steve Keo Teang, before resentencing Teang to 13 1/2 years in prison.

"The tension was very high, and I thought it would be a way of people just thinking of something else and releasing it," Grant said afterward. "It was a diversion tactic to bring unison in the group."

Kathy Patricelli, stepmother of the 28-year-old man who was shot in a fight outside a tavern, said she didn't join in the cheers.

"Super Bowl Sunday is Tino's one-year anniversary of the day he was murdered," she said. "I was a little tiny bit offended -- well, a lot offended -- because this was kind of an important day for us. Cheering for the Seahawks with Steve Teang in the room, I didn't think it was appropriate."

Pierce County Superior Court personnel were embarrassed, sheriff's Detective Ed Troyer and deputy prosecutor Sunni Y. Ko said.

"One family is seeing a son go off to prison, and one family is here to find justice for their loved one who was murdered. It's important to them. Do you think they want to root for the Seahawks?" Ko said.

Grant said she didn't mean to offend anyone: "If the prosecutor and the others took it that way, as far as I'm concerned, it's trite."

Teang, 24, of Federal Way, had pleaded guilty to manslaughter.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Sixxgunn » Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:51 pm

Remove her from the bench...permanently. It's completely unprofessional. To think, cheering for the Seahawks. Despicable!

The last line was obviously a joke. But the first two lines are truly how I feel. The courtroom is no place for things like that, especially in such an emotional time in the families lives.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby moochman » Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:01 pm

A suspension should be in the offing, at the very least. For a judge to be sitting over this case and to take it so cavalierly makes one wonder how seriously she takes her job.

I'm surprised they don't ask for a mistrail. Totally unprofessional and insulting. This isn't a traffic court.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Homeless » Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:08 pm

Thats an outrage, I mean that, not joking because it was a cheer for the Seahawks. :-t
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:12 pm

That's pretty classless. :-t
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby biju » Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:15 pm

I heard about this and thought: who would possibly want to ruin their dignity by doing something so stupid? That "bringing back unity" comment from her seems more like something one would say to cover up the fact that she did something really, really stupid.

Of course if this happened in Steeler Nation we never would have heard of it as it's normal practice...even in the off-season. :-D
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Wizzle » Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:19 pm

moochman wrote:A suspension should be in the offing, at the very least. For a judge to be sitting over this case and to take it so cavalierly makes one wonder how seriously she takes her job.

I'm surprised they don't ask for a mistrail. Totally unprofessional and insulting. This isn't a traffic court.

Exactly. If it were a speeding ticket then it might be differeny, albeit, still stupid.

She needs to at least be suspended for this. :-t
Wizzle
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle Eye

Postby Mercer Boy » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:52 pm

Man, I thought there was more decorum in courtrooms than this. To me hearings are pretty formal affairs that should be conducted with total seriousness.

Judge Judy is ruining our legal system. :-P
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Azrael » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:58 pm

What a retard. To think this lady has people's futures in her hands. She probably gave the defendant a 15 yard penalty.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby michaelavelli » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:11 pm

I think that this judge rooting for the Seahawks is yet ANOTHER sign that Tom Brady and the Patriots do not get enough respect.
michaelavelli
Head Coach
Head Coach

Return to Football Talk