Still no ULTIMATE HEAD (NFL) COACH after Holmgren loses... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Still no ULTIMATE HEAD (NFL) COACH after Holmgren loses...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Why can't anyone win with 2 different teams is it because they....

Poll ended at Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:07 pm

Do not have the same players and therefore can't win it again?
13%
Cannot capture that "Super Bowl" Playoff/Game magic so they lose?
25%
Have a different owner so they are run/managed in a way that can't allow success again?
No votes
Changed in some way since they won it before with the last team?
13%
Can't explain it so you do so now.........
50%

Total votes : 8

Still no ULTIMATE HEAD (NFL) COACH after Holmgren loses...

Postby Sharx » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:07 pm

Back in September of 2003 I wrote an article here at the cafe about no head coach ever winning the Super Bowl with 2 DIFFERENT teams. I did hear some sportcasters mentioning that fact prior to the game on Sunday though so it's now pretty well-knowm.

Here is the link....

http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/2003 ... _coach.php
While football is King HOCKEY is the 2nd coming.
Sharx
Water Boy
Water Boy

Cafe Writer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:32 am

It will definitely happen someday. There have been a few coaches to take 2 teams to a Super Bowl. They just haven't been able to win with both teams. The only reason for this is that they happened to play better teams in the Super Bowl, therefore losing the game.

Shula lost with Baltimore, won with Miami
Reeves lost with Denver & Atlanta
Parcells won with New York Giants, lost with New England
Vermeil lost with Philly, won with St. Louis
Holmgren won with Green Bay, lost with Seattle

Parcells came close to taking 3 teams to the Super Bowl with the Jets making the championship game. Now he has a chance with Dallas to be the 1st coach to take 3 teams to the Super Bowl.

I really think the only reason it hasn't happened is because they faced better teams in the Super Bowls they lost.
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 81)

Postby Wizzle » Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:37 am

flotsamnjetsam wrote:It will definitely happen someday. There have been a few coaches to take 2 teams to a Super Bowl. They just haven't been able to win with both teams. The only reason for this is that they happened to play better teams in the Super Bowl, therefore losing the game.

Shula lost with Baltimore, won with Miami
Reeves lost with Denver & Atlanta
Parcells won with New York Giants, lost with New England
Vermeil lost with Philly, won with St. Louis
Holmgren won with Green Bay, lost with Seattle

Parcells came close to taking 3 teams to the Super Bowl with the Jets making the championship game. Now he has a chance with Dallas to be the 1st coach to take 3 teams to the Super Bowl.

I really think the only reason it hasn't happened is because they faced better teams in the Super Bowls they lost.

You've got it all wrong. The refs cheated. :-b
Wizzle
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle Eye

Postby Cooner » Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:58 am

you missed the option that says...

winning a super bowl with any franchise takes years of development and lots of luck. Small chance times small chance equals really small chance. It'll happen, just it'll take a much larger sample size than 40 years.
Best... fantasy advice... EVER. :D

[quote]Always play the players who will get you the most points[/quote]
Cooner
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CC » Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:06 am

Wizards.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Homeless » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:47 pm

Cooner wrote:you missed the option that says...

winning a super bowl with any franchise takes years of development and lots of luck. Small chance times small chance equals really small chance. It'll happen, just it'll take a much larger sample size than 40 years.

I concur. ;-D
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby The_Dude » Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:12 pm

Homeless wrote:

I concur. ;-D

There's the right answer.

The beauty of the parity in the NFL is that dynasties are hard to come by, and to last, need personal sacrifices by players involved (see for instance, New England). This makes it so that turning over a bad season is relatively common, but its also become common for good teams to fizzle out fast (Philly anyone?). Put that together with the fact that there have only been 40 SuperBowls and there are 32 teams in the NFL and the probability just says that having a coach go through the process of building a team, getting to the game, and winning is extremely unlikely.

It will happen - its just a question of when.

Oh, and the refs cheated. Did I forget to mention that? (I hope that its been long enough now that we can start joking about this, right fellow 'Hawks fans?)

I am the Walrus
The_Dude
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)
Location: My ivory tower, where I oversee the intellectual development of America's youth

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:28 pm

I didn't miss that option.
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 81)

Return to Football Talk