Elway: Broncos shouldn't go after TO - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

Elway: Broncos shouldn't go after TO

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby onnestabe » Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:43 am

As far as Elway, I don't have any problem with him stating his opinion - someone asked him what he thought of TO in Denver, and he told them what he thought. Elway didn't say he committed any crimes or anything, only that he can ruin a team, which TO has done twice (I don't see how anyone can realistically lay the Eagles problems at anyone's feet other than TO's).

But in related news....during the Pro Bowl, I believe Chris Mortensen was saying that the owner of the Broncos met with TO, and he pretty much said that TO doesn't have to prove himself to the owner or Shanahan, he has to prove himself to the other players on the team, and most of the Broncos veterans' comments were reserved at best. As in, they don't think that the boost he will provide is enough to outweigh the risk of the lockerroom turmoil.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye
Posts: 4074
Joined: 6 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Cincinnati - West Price Hill

Postby Lucky7 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:30 pm

I don't really understand why so much time is being wasted on whether Elway should state his opinion about TO going to Denver. As far as I'm concerned, Elway is entitled to voice his opinion. As to the topic itself, I'm completely against TO going to Denver. He's proven that wherever he goes, he's a cancer and will inevitably cause too much distraction and disruption to outweigh any benefit he may bring. IMO, it'll be a sad day for the Broncos if TO ends up there. Having said that, the Broncos are in desperate need of a solid WR.
Image
Lucky7
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 5033
(Past Year: 54)
Joined: 18 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: On the button

Postby Plindsey88 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:15 pm

Wizzle wrote:
MadScott wrote:Though he currently doesn't have a position with the team, I'm sure that Elway still has Pat Bowlen's ear and that Bowlen is willing to listen to his HOF, 2 time SB champion QB. What stood out more to me was that Shannon Sharpe and Terrell Davis have both come out against TO as well. To see these guys lining up to speak out against him should speak volumes to any potential suitors. These aren't guys that had a cup of tea in the NFL. You are talking about arguably the best QB and TE of all time and one of 4 backs to break 2000 yards in a season.


I could make an argument for Sharpe being the best ever at his position, but not Elway.


I'm not sure if I would call Elway the greatest of all time, but I can tell you this, if I was in the Superbowl, down by 5, with 2:00 to play, and I could pick any QB to ever play the game to lead me down the field, I would have to flip a coin between Elway and Montana....
Image

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 10241
Joined: 19 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Richmond, VA

Postby Plindsey88 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:22 pm

no1cowboysfan wrote:
flotsamnjetsam wrote:
Wizzle wrote:
MadScott wrote:Though he currently doesn't have a position with the team, I'm sure that Elway still has Pat Bowlen's ear and that Bowlen is willing to listen to his HOF, 2 time SB champion QB. What stood out more to me was that Shannon Sharpe and Terrell Davis have both come out against TO as well. To see these guys lining up to speak out against him should speak volumes to any potential suitors. These aren't guys that had a cup of tea in the NFL. You are talking about arguably the best QB and TE of all time and one of 4 backs to break 2000 yards in a season.


I could make an argument for Sharpe being the best ever at his position, but not Elway.


I for one would vote John Elway the best all-around QB that I've ever seen play. John Elway is without a doubt one of the best QB's to ever play the position.

I think Elway is just saying what most current players have already said about TO. Should Denver listen to him? No. They should make their own decision on whether they want the cancer that is TO on their team. Will they? Maybe. Either way, Elway (Sharpe & Davis) has a right to voice his opinion and his opinion carries more weight because he played for 15 or so years in the league.


I for one vote that Elway is an asshead, and should shut his ugly chicklet-teeth mouth.

Estarr01, you pretty much nailed why I made my sarcastic post before. I hate Elway. And him calling another player selfish is pretty much the definition of the "pot calling the kettle black." He and Eli should get together.

And Captian, I see your point about what you said... just because some of us don't like Elway doesn't mean we shouldn lambast him for making comments now. But the point is that Staubach wouldn't (and hasn't) MADE any comments like that... Elway did. Staubach knows better. Staubach knew his job was to play football, and he did (exceptionally well, I may add), and that's what he did.

Elway, know your place. You're a retired QB who owns an Arena Football team. Your opinion means dick to everyone that matters. Shut up.


Jesus... The man gave his opinion... How many other people have given their opinions on the matter? You can't watch ESPN for more than 30 minutes and not hear at least one guy give his opinion on the matter... Do we get to tell them all to shut up, now? I mean, if we're going to start saying people are unqualified to give an opinion, how about we start with message board posters, work our way up through the ranks of the talking-heads on the television, and then we can start lambasting Hall of Fame quarterbacks, OK?


Question for you:

How is it that John Elway is not qualified to give his opinion about the potential benefits/drawbacks to bringing in a trouble-making WR, but you are somehow qualified to comment on Elway's character? Hmmm....
Image

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 10241
Joined: 19 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Richmond, VA

Postby Plindsey88 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:25 pm

no1cowboysfan wrote:
Yes, he's a Broncos fan (evidently not a Ravens or Colts fan), but he's als a former player. Its just downright unprofessional to slander another player... regardless of how much of an assbag he is.



Ummm... By definition a statement must be untrue to be slanderous... Please point me to the part where Elway said anything untrue about T.O.
Image

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 10241
Joined: 19 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Richmond, VA

Postby no1cowboysfan » Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:47 pm

Plindsey88 wrote:
no1cowboysfan wrote:
flotsamnjetsam wrote:
Wizzle wrote:
MadScott wrote:Though he currently doesn't have a position with the team, I'm sure that Elway still has Pat Bowlen's ear and that Bowlen is willing to listen to his HOF, 2 time SB champion QB. What stood out more to me was that Shannon Sharpe and Terrell Davis have both come out against TO as well. To see these guys lining up to speak out against him should speak volumes to any potential suitors. These aren't guys that had a cup of tea in the NFL. You are talking about arguably the best QB and TE of all time and one of 4 backs to break 2000 yards in a season.


I could make an argument for Sharpe being the best ever at his position, but not Elway.


I for one would vote John Elway the best all-around QB that I've ever seen play. John Elway is without a doubt one of the best QB's to ever play the position.

I think Elway is just saying what most current players have already said about TO. Should Denver listen to him? No. They should make their own decision on whether they want the cancer that is TO on their team. Will they? Maybe. Either way, Elway (Sharpe & Davis) has a right to voice his opinion and his opinion carries more weight because he played for 15 or so years in the league.


I for one vote that Elway is an asshead, and should shut his ugly chicklet-teeth mouth.

Estarr01, you pretty much nailed why I made my sarcastic post before. I hate Elway. And him calling another player selfish is pretty much the definition of the "pot calling the kettle black." He and Eli should get together.

And Captian, I see your point about what you said... just because some of us don't like Elway doesn't mean we shouldn lambast him for making comments now. But the point is that Staubach wouldn't (and hasn't) MADE any comments like that... Elway did. Staubach knows better. Staubach knew his job was to play football, and he did (exceptionally well, I may add), and that's what he did.

Elway, know your place. You're a retired QB who owns an Arena Football team. Your opinion means dick to everyone that matters. Shut up.


Jesus... The man gave his opinion... How many other people have given their opinions on the matter? You can't watch ESPN for more than 30 minutes and not hear at least one guy give his opinion on the matter... Do we get to tell them all to shut up, now? I mean, if we're going to start saying people are unqualified to give an opinion, how about we start with message board posters, work our way up through the ranks of the talking-heads on the television, and then we can start lambasting Hall of Fame quarterbacks, OK?


Question for you:

How is it that John Elway is not qualified to give his opinion about the potential benefits/drawbacks to bringing in a trouble-making WR, but you are somehow qualified to comment on Elway's character? Hmmm....


nice triple post there buddy... you know, there is such a thing as an edit button. :-b

Which brings to today's word... Duh.

MY ANSWER: I'm not. Duh. But I'm also pretty sure I didn't voice my opinion to national media. One could argue that this is an international forum, but I hardly doubt the world awaits on tenderhooks waiting on the know-all, tell-all opinion from a smartass college student.

As for the talkingheads... why don't I pitch a bitch about them? Let's see... broadcast and print sports journalists are paid to... oh, that's right. report sports-related news. And usually on TV and Radio, and with opinion columns in magazines and newspapers, they're paid to VOICE THEIR OPINION. I'm not going to be mad at somebody for doing their job.

What is Chicklet-teeth paid to do? Right now, it's managing a crappy AFL team and selling beer that tastes like bat urine (insert your own lame "I would know" comment here). I don't remember Elway signing a contract that gives him the moral obligation to influence a team he hasn't played for just shy of a decade.

And what's more, just to set the record straight, is that I AGREE 100% WITH EVERYTHING ELWAY SAID. That's why I don't want T.O. touching my team. But I stand by my statement... it wasn't Elway's place to say anything.

And before I get "butt numbr1 Elway waz azked thet kweshion!!!!111" So? Is Elway really so ego-driven that he can't simply say "no comment"? I don't give a crap if Elway "has his opinion... but he can keep it to himself. Or Hell... I don't care if he tells all his friends what he thinks, or even if he goes to the owners office and tells him straight up.

And maybe I used the wrong wording with "slander." I'd like to thank Mooch for inserting what my next argument would have been...

Mooch wrote:Slander is probably the wrong word, but he does make judgements on TO that he cannot back. "...But obviously he can ruin a football team".

How can Mr Ed say that? You can't blame the wind for knocking down a house of cards. The fact is that the Iggles clubhouse appears to have been a wreck waiting to happen. Their own self annointed ambassador, Hugh Douglas doesn't seem to have a problem pointing his cancerous fingers at whatever player he wants to be hating on. So it may be that TO didn't cause the collapse as much as Reid did by opening a window for the wind(TO) to enter his house of cards.

So I think that Mr. Ed might have been talking out of his...ah..earhole.


And I'm not even saying it wasn't T.O.'s fault that Philly imploded... I do believe he was the straw that broke the camel's back. But honestly, can Elway, or anyone of us actually prove what we think we know about the TO fiasco? No. None of us can... and likewise, neither can Elway. So was his statement falsified? In all honestly, probably not. Was it unprofessional as a former player and somewhat ambassador to the league? Absolutely. Duh.

... And that's the word.

:-D
Image

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 5255
Joined: 28 Sep 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: From Diego to tha bay ...

Postby RayVins » Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:02 pm

even though elway is a moron and had absolutely no right to say anything in an advisory capacity about the denver broncos, the real culprit is not elway...

put aside that he always has that "not quite there" grin on his face and that he has taken numerous shot to the head in his "illustrious" career (not the word i'd use)... put that aside and realize the real culprit are the idiots that gave him a voice. sports media, and all their elway-loving affiliates, put his stupid ass on TV and gave him the belief he still mattered.

so the moral of the story here kiddies, is that the media is once again the bad guy. even though elway is a big douche, you are giving him the idea that next time he speaks that he will be heard. congratulations...
Image
"You guys have no clue how crazy hyper and dru nk (filter) I can be AT THE SAME TIME."
-mtryanks12
Image
RayVins
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar

Posts: 1603
Joined: 17 Nov 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Pimpin' Purple Est. 1996

Postby TheRawDAWG » Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:33 pm

Wow, I can't believe there is 4 pages of crap on this one comment.

Some of the comment in this thread are really ridiculous. Come on, the guy was just stating his opinion. And his opinion is all he was stating based on things he has seen and heard about TO. You don't think Elway has a better understanding of what a cancerous type player can do to a locker room than a sports columnist or average fan? Stating his opinion on a matter when asked a question isn't unprofessional. If it were every old and current player would be un-proffesional. To me the only time it's unproffesional is if you're bad mouthing a teammate in public.

BTW, Everything Elway said in his OPINION is basically what 90% of the sports world feels as well. Why is he being blasted for stating a widely held opinion.
So they weren't the best...and may have ended the worst. SO WHAT!
TheRawDAWG
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar

Posts: 1599
Joined: 16 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Up in Canada

Postby maddog60 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:35 pm

no1cowboysfan wrote:And I'm not even saying it wasn't T.O.'s fault that Philly imploded... I do believe he was the straw that broke the camel's back. But honestly, can Elway, or anyone of us actually prove what we think we know about the TO fiasco? No. None of us can... and likewise, neither can Elway. So was his statement falsified? In all honestly, probably not. Was it unprofessional as a former player and somewhat ambassador to the league? Absolutely. Duh.


I really have no comment on the Elway debate ensuing, but I just thought I'd point out something.

Yes, we can prove what we know about the TO fiasco. After the arbitrator's ruling, the actual ruling was released in public. The ruling included all evidence and documentation, which clearly shows precisely what went on in house. It's incredibly easy to see from the evidence that TO repeatedly broke his contract, and that he and his agent both threatened to cause the chaos that they did. It's all documented, so really, Elway is stating fact, not opinion.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 9758
Joined: 18 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby no1cowboysfan » Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:42 pm

maddog60 wrote:
no1cowboysfan wrote:And I'm not even saying it wasn't T.O.'s fault that Philly imploded... I do believe he was the straw that broke the camel's back. But honestly, can Elway, or anyone of us actually prove what we think we know about the TO fiasco? No. None of us can... and likewise, neither can Elway. So was his statement falsified? In all honestly, probably not. Was it unprofessional as a former player and somewhat ambassador to the league? Absolutely. Duh.


I really have no comment on the Elway debate ensuing, but I just thought I'd point out something.

Yes, we can prove what we know about the TO fiasco. After the arbitrator's ruling, the actual ruling was released in public. The ruling included all evidence and documentation, which clearly shows precisely what went on in house. It's incredibly easy to see from the evidence that TO repeatedly broke his contract, and that he and his agent both threatened to cause the chaos that they did. It's all documented, so really, Elway is stating fact, not opinion.


A single man can not bring down a franchise unless it already had its share of the problems. I stand by previous statement.

RawDawg... "I can't believe there's 4 pages of this crap..."

Then why'd you resurrect it? It's been dead for 3 days until now.

Besides, yes, Elway would know about cancerous players, AS HE WAS ONE. Ask any Baltimore or Indianapolis fan that knows his crap.
Image

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 5255
Joined: 28 Sep 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: From Diego to tha bay ...

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 9:43 hours
(and 43 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact