Kurt Warner could follow Mike Martz to Detroit - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Kurt Warner could follow Mike Martz to Detroit

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Wizzle » Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:02 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Bah. Maybe Warner doesnt exactly suck, but I'm glad he isnt coming here. I just cant stand the guy. :-b

Exactly.
Wizzle
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Kensat30 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:22 pm

I could see Detroit with a winning record led by Kurt Warner.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Crimedogg32 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:26 pm

no need to fret Lions fans

TEMPE, Arizona (Ticker) - Kurt Warner will get the opportunity to continue his resurgence in the desert.

The Arizona Cardinals agreed to terms with Warner on a three-year contract on Tuesday following a season in which the two-time MVP led the team to a 5-11 record.

Financial terms were not disclosed.

ADVERTISEMENT
The 34-year-old Warner started 10 games last season, completing 242-of-375 passes for 2,713 yards with 11 touchdowns and nine interceptions. His 64.5 completion percentage set a new team record, breaking Steve Beurlein's mark of 61.7 in 1993.

Following a collegiate career at Northern Iowa and stints in the Arena Football League and NFL Europe, Warner burst onto the scene in 1999 for the St. Louis Rams, earning Most Valuable Player honors after throwing for 4,353 yards and a league-high 41 touchdowns.

The 6-2, 219-pound Warner capped that outstanding campaign with an MVP performance in Super Bowl XXXIV, leading the Rams to a 23-16 win over the Tennessee Titans.

Two years later, Warner again was named league MVP after posting 4,830 passing yards and 36 touchdowns as St. Louis made a return visit to the Super Bowl.

After a six-year run with the Rams, the 34-year-old Warner spent 2004 with the New York Giants, holding down the starting job before rookie Eli Manning took over to finish the year.

Injuries between 2002-03 curbed Warner's run with the Rams but the three-time Pro Bowler still owns the best completion percentage (65.7) in NFL history and his quarterback rating of 94.1 is second all-time to Hall of Famer Steve Young.
Crimedogg32
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby The Lung » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:40 pm

Might be prudent to lock this thread - Warner is staying in Arizona.
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby Wizzle » Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:01 pm

Crimedogg32 wrote:no need to fret Lions fans

TEMPE, Arizona (Ticker) - Kurt Warner will get the opportunity to continue his resurgence in the desert.

The Arizona Cardinals agreed to terms with Warner on a three-year contract on Tuesday following a season in which the two-time MVP led the team to a 5-11 record.

Financial terms were not disclosed.

ADVERTISEMENT
The 34-year-old Warner started 10 games last season, completing 242-of-375 passes for 2,713 yards with 11 touchdowns and nine interceptions. His 64.5 completion percentage set a new team record, breaking Steve Beurlein's mark of 61.7 in 1993.

Following a collegiate career at Northern Iowa and stints in the Arena Football League and NFL Europe, Warner burst onto the scene in 1999 for the St. Louis Rams, earning Most Valuable Player honors after throwing for 4,353 yards and a league-high 41 touchdowns.

The 6-2, 219-pound Warner capped that outstanding campaign with an MVP performance in Super Bowl XXXIV, leading the Rams to a 23-16 win over the Tennessee Titans.

Two years later, Warner again was named league MVP after posting 4,830 passing yards and 36 touchdowns as St. Louis made a return visit to the Super Bowl.

After a six-year run with the Rams, the 34-year-old Warner spent 2004 with the New York Giants, holding down the starting job before rookie Eli Manning took over to finish the year.

Injuries between 2002-03 curbed Warner's run with the Rams but the three-time Pro Bowler still owns the best completion percentage (65.7) in NFL history and his quarterback rating of 94.1 is second all-time to Hall of Famer Steve Young.

Yay! One less stupid move the Lions can make this offseason! ;-D
Wizzle
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle Eye

Postby lmcjaho » Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:56 am

moochman wrote:I have another idea, lets look at the quote.
Second - Warner sucks. He's a cancer. He is known to play only for himself and refused to help the younger QBs regardless of the team he played for. Place him in a position of a veteran mentor? Ask Bulger, Manning, and McCown how well they liked working with Warner. Besides, he isnt nearly as good as he was 4-5 years ago - the guy's a concussion short of being a vegtable at this point.

No - Warner isnt coming to Detroit.

Where in his statement is he commenting on the production of Warner vs Joey? He's talking about Mrs Warner's husband's charactor and durability, not whose stats are better. Read people's statements before making a contrary response that has no merit in relation to the original posters opinion.

Sorry Mooch - I hilighted the relevant part of his statement again for you since you seem to have glossed over it the first time...

You cannot contend that a guy who is above the average in as many stats as Warner was this past year "sucks" without sounding foolish - and that was my "contrary response" to his opinion, backed up by factual stats that are as unbiased as we can get around here.
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby lmcjaho » Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:57 am

Wizzle wrote:Yay! One less improvement the Lions can make this offseason! ;-D

Fixed your post for you Wizzle...
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby moochman » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:12 am

lmcjaho wrote:
moochman wrote:I have another idea, lets look at the quote.
Second - Warner sucks. He's a cancer. He is known to play only for himself and refused to help the younger QBs regardless of the team he played for. Place him in a position of a veteran mentor? Ask Bulger, Manning, and McCown how well they liked working with Warner. Besides, he isnt nearly as good as he was 4-5 years ago - the guy's a concussion short of being a vegtable at this point.

No - Warner isnt coming to Detroit.

Where in his statement is he commenting on the production of Warner vs Joey? He's talking about Mrs Warner's husband's charactor and durability, not whose stats are better. Read people's statements before making a contrary response that has no merit in relation to the original posters opinion.

Sorry Mooch - I hilighted the relevant part of his statement again for you since you seem to have glossed over it the first time...

You cannot contend that a guy who is above the average in as many stats as Warner was this past year "sucks" without sounding foolish - and that was my "contrary response" to his opinion, backed up by factual stats that are as unbiased as we can get around here.

Read dood. He gives his opinion that Warner sucks and then goes on to support his opinion. He does this by listing that he isn't a team player and is a cancer. Nothing about his stats, so he isn't saying that he sucks from a statistical level.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:09 am

lmcjaho wrote:You cannot contend that a guy who is above the average in as many stats as Warner was this past year "sucks" without sounding foolish - and that was my "contrary response" to his opinion, backed up by factual stats that are as unbiased as we can get around here.

You have a lot to learn about statistics if you truly think the way they are used is unbiased. We've gone round and round about this in the past if I remember correctly. You place a large emphasis that a players statistics have a high correlation to his talent and/or value - I disagree. Statistics are highly correlated to the situation that player is in.

Take McCown vs. Warner as an example. By your numbers, clearly Warner put up better numbers - by a small margin - but it was better. Then again - how much of that difference is based on the matchups? The way I see it, McCown faced tougher defenses than Warner - so wouldnt that logically have a positive influence on Warner's statistics as opposed to McCown's in this comparison?

Im sorry lmcjaho - as much as you want them to be - statistics dont mean what you think they mean. They certainly aren't the unbiased standard you claim them to be.

And yes - Mrs. Warner's Husband most certainly does suck.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby lmcjaho » Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:54 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:You have a lot to learn about statistics if you truly think the way they are used is unbiased. We've gone round and round about this in the past if I remember correctly. You place a large emphasis that a players statistics have a high correlation to his talent and/or value - I disagree. Statistics are highly correlated to the situation that player is in.

Take McCown vs. Warner as an example. By your numbers, clearly Warner put up better numbers - by a small margin - but it was better. Then again - how much of that difference is based on the matchups? The way I see it, McCown faced tougher defenses than Warner - so wouldnt that logically have a positive influence on Warner's statistics as opposed to McCown's in this comparison?

I didn't even mention McCown because he was a non-issue in the original argument but since you brought it up - Warner faced the Rams twice and Giants and Houston once, other than that the teams he played that McCown didn't were Det (13th against the pass), Washington (10th) and Jax (7th). McCown faced Philly (20th*), Ten (17th), Indy (15th**), Dallas (11th) and Carolina(9th). Philly had a ton of injuries when he played them week 16 and Indy was playing 3rd stringers in Week 17 so they were most likely not at those levels when he played them... Where is this great imbalance in favor of Warner vis-a-vis strength-of-schedule?

Cornbread wrote:Im sorry lmcjaho - as much as you want them to be - statistics dont mean what you think they mean. They certainly aren't the unbiased standard you claim them to be.

And yes - Mrs. Warner's Husband most certainly does suck.

moochman wrote:Read dood. He gives his opinion that Warner sucks and then goes on to support his opinion. He does this by listing that he isn't a team player and is a cancer. Nothing about his stats, so he isn't saying that he sucks from a statistical level.

Yep, you guys are right - I'm obviously the one working from a biased standpoint here Image

I mean, if Cornbread says he sucks and all I have to support my argument is the fact that his numbers show he was ABOVE AVERAGE even EVEN IN COMPARISON TO QBs IN SIMILAR PASS-HAPPY OFFENSES then OBVIOUSLY I am the one who is making a biased judgement Image
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk