Top five draft picks - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Top five draft picks

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby disgruntledjetsfan » Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:15 pm

maddog60 wrote:
disgruntledjetsfan wrote:
maddog60 wrote:I agree with the 1st four. If the Packers can resign Kaufman they have him and KGB, and would be much better served grabbing AJ Hawk at number 5.

Another possibility would be if the Jets have lost faith in Pennington and trade up to take Leinart. I just don't see them trading up for Bush, because everyone knows Houston is behooved not to take a QB or RB. Without trades, Bush could very well drop down to the Jets, and unless someone below them made noise about trading up with Tenessee or New Orleans, they should stay put.

1. Matt Leinart - Jets (from Texans)
2. Vince Young - Saints
3. Reggie Bush - 49ers (from Titans)
4. D'Brickshaw Ferguson - Texans (from Jets)
5. AJ Hawk - Packers

2 things.

#1 - The Jets probably won't trade up, because they have so many needs.

#2 - If they do happen to trade up, they would, without a doubt, take Reggie Bush. They CAN'T take a QB with the #1 pick because they couldn't afford it, since pennington is going to cost a whopping 15 mill against the cap this year.

I agree it would not be smart for the Jets to trade up, but if they do, why would they take any RB? Given how many RBs are available, guys like Edge couldn't get dealt for a 2nd rounder last year, and someone is going to pay a premium of probably two years consecutive 1st rounders to acquire Bush? No way. Especially they would not trade up for Bush, because if each of the three teams ahead of them did what is best for them, Bush would fall to Jets anyway.

I thought draft position dictated the cost of the contract on rookies? QBs typically get more, but they also tend to go higher in the first round. Maybe there's something I'm missing, but wouldn't not being able to afford Leinart mean they simply can't afford the #1 overall whomever it is?

Well they just can't afford to have that kind of money tied up in another QB. They need another RB, regardless, so they would have to spend additional money there.
disgruntledjetsfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Football Talk