Jets Could Cut Pennington - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Jets Could Cut Pennington

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby RayVins » Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:52 pm

I doubt the Jets cut him... the more likely scenario is that they restructure and bring in a competing QB like aaron brooks or something...

Ken Berger, of Newsday, reports the New York Jets and agents for QB Chad Pennington have begun discussions aimed at dramatically reducing the injured quarterback's salary cap figure for 2006, according to a source close to the situation. Pennington's contract calls for a base salary of $6 million this season. Pennington also is scheduled to receive a $3 million roster bonus on the first day of the league year in early March. Those figures, plus $3 million of prorated signing bonus money, add up to a $12 million cap figure for 2006. They have the option of converting his 2006 base salary to guaranteed money, which would allow them to prorate it over the next four years for cap purposes. The expected move would reduce Pennington's cap figure to $7.5 million in 2006. The team is believed to be seeking a much more aggressive adjustment, including a playing-time incentives clause that would further reduce his cap figure while forcing Pennington to earn some of the money the team already has agreed to pay. Something must be worked out by the end of the month, when the Jets will have to make plans to bring in a quarterback to compete with Pennington.
"You guys have no clue how crazy hyper and dru nk (filter) I can be AT THE SAME TIME."
-mtryanks12
RayVins
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Wizzle » Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:57 pm

Take the cut and prove yourself Chad. :-°
Wizzle
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle Eye

Postby steelerfan513 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:21 pm

understandable move. at least theyre saying that they want to keep him. imo, they should give him one more chance, maybe take d'brick with their pick to see if he does well with improved protection.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby disgruntledjetsfan » Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:37 pm

Redskins Win wrote:I doubt the Chad's agent or the Chad himself would go for that. If he walks, by mid season he'll be a great pick up by the bears.

right....don't you guys understand? Chad is never going to be able to throw like an NFL QB again, and the Jets know that. If they cut him, I would be surprised if he doesnt retire. You just don't come back from an injury like that and throw with an over the top motion like you once were able to. Take into account that he didn't have a strong arm in the first place.....
disgruntledjetsfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 8)

Postby UTLonghorns » Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:47 pm

Thats to bad. Right before he got hurt, he was hitting his prime too.
UTLonghorns
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb Supporter

Postby MadScott » Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:59 pm

Penny is in a tough spot. You'll see if he truly is a team player or not. Since signing his big deal, he has done nothing to warrant that contract and there are still lingering questions regarding the health o his shoulder to boot. If he truly wants to stay with the Jets, I don't see how he can't restructure.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby sPoRtZsTuD2318 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:13 pm

Redskins Win wrote:I doubt the Chad's agent or the Chad himself would go for that. If he walks, by mid season he'll be a great pick up by the bears.

Please, if he gets cut..

The Bears better pick this guy up!

"I got this [b]killa[/b] up inside of me
I can't talk to my mother so I talk to my diary"
sPoRtZsTuD2318
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:18 pm

sPoRtZsTuD2318 wrote:

Please, if he gets cut..

Why? So you can have another injury prone quarterback on your roster?
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby sPoRtZsTuD2318 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:21 pm

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:
sPoRtZsTuD2318 wrote:

Please, if he gets cut..

He's better than the 2 rooks.. Orton and Grossman..

I still can't believe they passed Warner up..

"I got this [b]killa[/b] up inside of me
I can't talk to my mother so I talk to my diary"
sPoRtZsTuD2318
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:27 pm

sPoRtZsTuD2318 wrote:
Dr. Duran Duran wrote:
sPoRtZsTuD2318 wrote:

Please, if he gets cut..

He's better than the 2 rooks.. Orton and Grossman..

I still can't believe they passed Warner up..

Personally, I wouldn't tie the money up in Pennington if I'm the Bears. The two kids you have there now need experience and there's no room for that if Penny's there. Besides, he still thinks he's worth the cash, so he's not going to come terribly cheap. He might be discounted, but the Bears can fill other needs with that money while they develop Rex and Kyle.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk