Vince Young: May not throw at combines - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Vince Young: May not throw at combines

Moderator: Football Moderators

Vince Young: May not throw at combines

Postby MadScott » Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:24 pm

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercuryn ... 865256.htm

Texas' Young might pass on displaying arm for scouts
BY CHIP BROWN
The Dallas Morning News

AUSTIN, Texas - The agent for Vince Young, who said last month that the former Texas quarterback would throw for teams at the NFL combine next week, now says Young may not throw and instead may only interview with teams.

"We want to make sure it's something we want to do and something that's best for Vincent," said Young's agent, Major Adams.

Adams also said that Houston attorney Joe Jamail, a prominent UT booster, had agreed to advise Young in contract negotiations, adding that Jamail is a member of "Team Vince."

That team also includes Keith Young, Vince's uncle, who has been hired as his business manager. Keith Young is a former computer software representative and current middle school teacher and coach in Houston.

Adams, the Youngs' family attorney for the last eight years, has negotiated only one NFL contract - that of Philadelphia safety Michael Lewis, a 2002 second-round draft pick out of Colorado.

Jamail said Monday he was contacted by Adams two weeks ago and agreed to help out - without charge.

"I've helped a lot of former Texas players by reviewing their contracts before they sign them," Jamail said. "Roy Williams, Cory Redding, there's a lot of them. Cedric (Benson), Derrick Johnson. . . . I'm not an agent and I don't try to be.

I just look them over to make sure they're not getting tricked or fooled."

When asked why it might not be good for Young to throw at the combine, Adams replied, "Unfamiliar surroundings, unfamiliar receivers." The NFL combine in Indianapolis begins Feb. 22.

Young said Saturday in Houston that he plans to interview with teams and "probably throw a little bit."

Young took part in several throwing competitions in a made-for-television College All-Star Challenge aired by ESPN on Feb. 4.

Young lost a target-throwing competition to UCLA's Drew Olson and a long-distance skills test to Alabama's Brodie Croyle - two quarterbacks expected to be taken much lower than Young in the NFL draft. Young won a skills competition in which throwing with accuracy on the run was at a premium.

Adams said the uncertainty about throwing at the combine had nothing to do with Young possibly hurting his stock in the made-for-TV event.

"I think he impressed some people," Adams said.

Colin Cowherd on ESPN radio was all over this yesterday. I've got to say, I agree with him in that if I'm a team thinking about drafting Young, I want to see him throw under the bright lights of the combine, especially after a pretty poor showing in that recent skills competition.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby onnestabe » Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:37 pm

Yeah, as a team, you have to wonder why he doesn't want to throw at the combine. If he's afraid to hurt his stock, is he also going to be afraid to play in free agency years for the same reason?

If Leinart is going to get ripped by the media for returning for his senior year, Young should get ripped for not throwing at the combine. It's one in the same - neither wanted to subject themselves to the scrutiny of the pro game.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby maddog60 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:44 pm

Want advantage does he get from throwing in the combine? He's already outperformed Leinart heads up in real competition. So he's not going to convince anyone who still has Leinart ranked higher that he's better. All he can do is damage his stock by throwing and possibly having an off-day.

EDIT: Besides, this is a top 5 pick we're talking about. Any team interested in him, will have him do a personal workout for them, in which he'll show them his throwing skills.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby mysticphysh » Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:50 pm

maddog60 wrote:Want advantage does he get from throwing in the combine? He's already outperformed Leinart heads up in real competition. So he's not going to convince anyone who still has Leinart ranked higher that he's better. All he can do is damage his stock by throwing and possibly having an off-day.

EDIT: Besides, this is a top 5 pick we're talking about. Any team interested in him, will have him do a personal workout for them, in which he'll show them his throwing skills.

He outperformed leinart using his legs, not his arm...which is what all this brings into question. In the BS..I mean BCS championship, Leinart out threw young. I'm sure teams don't want another Mike Vick... :-b
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby onnestabe » Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:51 pm

maddog60 wrote:Want advantage does he get from throwing in the combine? He's already outperformed Leinart heads up in real competition. So he's not going to convince anyone who still has Leinart ranked higher that he's better. All he can do is damage his stock by throwing and possibly having an off-day.

The biggest question on VY is still his passing ability. He outperformed Leinart in playmaking and running (and team defense), but he did not outperform Leinart in the passing game. VY needs to prove that he can be an NFL passer, and his not throwing in the combine only raised questions in my mind.

I know that he is projected to be a top 5 pick, but so was Aaron Rodgers last year, so it would be prudent to let everyone see him, not just the few that are in the top 5. The only reason he wouldn't throw in the combine is if he is scared of something, and I don't like what that says about his character.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby terpfan » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:44 pm

This would worry me a bit as an NFL scout. I would definately want to see him throw. It certainly does make it seem like hes afraid of hurting his stock...
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby ScreamingWeasel » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:52 pm

This is totally a gut feeling -

But I just have the feeling that this is going to be yet
another in a long string of Super Star NCAA QBs that just don't make the transition to the NFL.

I know. I know.
This is based on nothing.
Just a gut feeling.
ScreamingWeasel
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby mikus » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:58 pm

Vince Young cannot pass, that is why he is passing up this opportunity to showcase his "talent." Ever seen the guy throw a football? He throws like a little sissy. He reminds me of Danny Wuerffuel (sp?) this season ... a lot of balls that he chunked up in the air deep that his talented receivers came down with. VY is a joke.
Thanks to madaslives911 for the sweet sig!
The Hazean: Fantasy football galore
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Location: Same place as every other blogger: My Mom's basement. That is where bloggers work, right?

Postby MadScott » Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:30 pm

maddog60 wrote: He's already outperformed Leinart heads up in real competition.
Based on the Rose Bowl? Not in my book. Vince went up against a pourous USC defense to say the least. I watched my FSU Bulldogs score at will on that defense. The UT defense on the other hand was regarded as one of the top in the NCAAs last season and Leinart pretty much had his way with them.

If you ask me, Leinart having the UT defense on the ropes was a far more impressive feat than Vince running roughshod over a bad defense.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby TN_Titans_05 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:39 pm

I rest my case on not being sold on Young!

*Note to the Titans- please take not of this and do not draft him!!

C-H-A-M-P-I-O-N-S-H-I-P
TN_Titans_05
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk