Vince Young: May not throw at combines - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Vince Young: May not throw at combines

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Azrael » Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:18 pm

Immediate red flag. Afraid of hurting his stock?

If the guy is scared his passing skills (or lack thereof?) will get exposed by the NFL combine, what's going to happen when he gets in a game?
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Keyser_WV » Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:19 pm

There is no reason for him to throw at the combine.

If teams want to see him throw they will have him come in for a personal workout.

He will have more control in a personal workout. He will be able to have someone he is more comfortable throwing the ball too.

I don't think it's a big deal. Probably a smart move. His stock can only go down at the combine if he had a bad day throwing the ball.

Personally I would rather have Leinart because he seems more ready.

I actually liked someone's thought from another thread to trade for River's. 4th pick who has watched for 2 years and should have learned alot.
Keyser_WV
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby mysticphysh » Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:29 pm

Keyser_WV wrote:There is no reason for him to throw at the combine.

If teams want to see him throw they will have him come in for a personal workout.

He will have more control in a personal workout. He will be able to have someone he is more comfortable throwing the ball too.

I don't think it's a big deal. Probably a smart move. His stock can only go down at the combine if he had a bad day throwing the ball.

Personally I would rather have Leinart because he seems more ready.

I actually liked someone's thought from another thread to trade for River's. 4th pick who has watched for 2 years and should have learned alot.

So....all QBs should just not bother throwing at the combine because he might have a bad day and it can only make their stock go down? :-?
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby houstonherdfan » Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:05 pm

The skills competions at the combine have become a joke. There are players that do nothing but the meds, tests, and interviews. They then wait for individual workouts for teams that are interested.

The combine was originally set up to compare college players in all facets of the pro game in a setting that is simple for the teams to figure out their priorities. I say the you either get rid of the combine altogether or require that anyone coming to the combine do it all. If a college player doesn't what to address his skills at the combine then he should say at home!!!!!!
You could think of government workers like teenagers. You pay them an allowance, but do you get any work out them? They eat the food, put their feet on the furniture and complain loudly whenever they are unhappy.
houstonherdfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Postby TheDiplomats » Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:06 pm

mysticphysh wrote:
maddog60 wrote:Want advantage does he get from throwing in the combine? He's already outperformed Leinart heads up in real competition. So he's not going to convince anyone who still has Leinart ranked higher that he's better. All he can do is damage his stock by throwing and possibly having an off-day.

EDIT: Besides, this is a top 5 pick we're talking about. Any team interested in him, will have him do a personal workout for them, in which he'll show them his throwing skills.

He outperformed leinart using his legs, not his arm...which is what all this brings into question. In the BS..I mean BCS championship, Leinart out threw young. I'm sure teams don't want another Mike Vick... :-b

Vick brings fans to the seats and wins games. From a fantasy perspective he's garbage, but the reality of it is that Vick is detrimental to the Atlanta Franchise.

As for Young not throwing, It's not like it matters. Any team that is considering drafting him is going to have private workouts with him anyways.
TheDiplomats
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby maddog60 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:08 pm

mysticphysh wrote:So....all QBs should just not bother throwing at the combine because he might have a bad day and it can only make their stock go down? :-?

You're missing the point. QBs at the very upper echelon of the draft have nothing to gain by throwing at the combine. Guys who are only considered first-day picks can improve to 1st rounders with a good combine, so they have something to gain. 2nd day guys can move to 1st day so they have something to gain. Top 5 draft picks can't really move up much, and the risk of having a bad day makes it not worthwhile to throw.

Its not like top QB prospects not throwing at the combine is anything particularly new here folks.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby mysticphysh » Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:12 pm

maddog60 wrote:
mysticphysh wrote:So....all QBs should just not bother throwing at the combine because he might have a bad day and it can only make their stock go down? :-?

You're missing the point. QBs at the very upper echelon of the draft have nothing to gain by throwing at the combine. Guys who are only considered first-day picks can improve to 1st rounders with a good combine, so they have something to gain. 2nd day guys can move to 1st day so they have something to gain. Top 5 draft picks can't really move up much, and the risk of having a bad day makes it not worthwhile to throw.

Its not like top QB prospects not throwing at the combine is anything particularly new here folks.

That might be true, but Young's arm was already in question to begin with. This doesn't inspire confidence. But, either way, throw or not, he'll be choosen top 5 on pure athletic ability and hype. :-b
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Keyser_WV » Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:35 pm

maddog60 wrote:

Thanks Maddog, couldn't have said it better myself.
Keyser_WV
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Crimedogg32 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:12 am

mikus wrote:Vince Young cannot pass

where do people come up with this stuff? He had a 163.95 QB rating and probably no WRs that will get picked early in the draft so its not like it all all the WRs and not him
Crimedogg32
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby MadScott » Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:58 am

Keyser_WV wrote:He will have more control in a personal workout. He will be able to have someone he is more comfortable throwing the ball too.

That's precisely the problem. He'll be on his home field where he's comfortable, throwing to guys he's comfortable throwing to in an unpressured environment, nothing like what he's going to experience in the NFL. Good move on his part, but again, if I've got lingering questions about him and if he can make the jump, I want him to perform under pressure.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk