Vince Young: May not throw at combines - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Vince Young: May not throw at combines

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby mysticphysh » Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:59 am

Crimedogg32 wrote:
mikus wrote:Vince Young cannot pass

where do people come up with this stuff? He had a 163.95 QB rating and probably no WRs that will get picked early in the draft so its not like it all all the WRs and not him

um...that's not a QB passer rating is it?
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby ljthockey » Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:02 am

mysticphysh wrote:
Crimedogg32 wrote:
mikus wrote:Vince Young cannot pass

where do people come up with this stuff? He had a 163.95 QB rating and probably no WRs that will get picked early in the draft so its not like it all all the WRs and not him

um...that's not a QB passer rating is it?

I highly doubt it I thought 157 point something was the max :-?

And I would be shocked if Vince Young was close to that.

Edit: Wow I was wrong it must be differnet for college cause I thought pros didnt get higher that 157.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/pr ... rId=135107

Sure enough he did. Incredible but I would still much rather have Leinart .
[b][color=red]You have just read a Ljthockey© post[/color][/b]

ljthockey
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby ljthockey » Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:09 am

Sorry to double post but if anyone else was ignorant like me on the subject.

From Wikipedia:
College Football
As in the NFL, the pass efficiency rating is based on five quarterback statistics: passing yards, touchdowns, interceptions, completions, and attempted completions. However, the formula is significantly different and there is no cap on the passer rating in college; accordingly, NFL and NCAA passer ratings are not comparable. Indeed, while 100 would be a relatively good passer rating in the NFL, almost every starting quarterback in NCAA Division I-A has a pass efficiency rating above 100.
[b][color=red]You have just read a Ljthockey© post[/color][/b]

ljthockey
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:24 am

This was expected, and it really isn't even that big of a deal. What did people hope to learn by seeing him throw under controlled conditions with no pass rush, etc. that they didn't already know by watching him the last two years?

I'm with the group who thinks he will not become a star in the NFL (not at QB at least), unless the team that drafts him runs a single wing style offense or something.
Art Vandelay
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mattb47 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:47 am

In my opinion, the reason for the high passer rating in college is that he was such a good athlete that he didn't have to worry about having to make tough passes. Because if the pass wasn't wide open, he could just outrun everyone. He looked so good in the NC game because his receivers were constantly wide wide open, and USC simply could not tackle. I think it will be a future huge regret to whoever takes Young in this draft.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby xted30 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:18 pm

Can't say it really surprises me in an age of prima donnas. Why go out and earn something if someone else will just hand it to you? Personally, this annoys me. Look at the reports from last year on Ronnie Brown. He actually HELPED his stock by doing what he was supposed to and participating in the drills. If he's as good as he thinks he is, he should perform no matter what. That cab only help him, not hurt him. Why should he be so concerned about a bad day, when if he's a true stud, he should have a good day? And what difference does it make who's catching it? Throw it where you're supposed to, if he doesn't catch it, that's on him.

Just my 2 cents.
xted30
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby maddog60 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:31 pm

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I really don't understand all this "bust talk about Young. He can throw. He got over 3000 yards passing this year (and often times only played between half to 3/4 of a game). He threw 26 TDs and ran in another 12.

Even in the Championship game, he rushed for 200, but threw for over 250, witha 75% completion rate. Rushing for 200 yards makes it obvious he beat them with his legs, but he did also beat them with his arm.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby mattb47 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:55 pm

I'm sorry maddog but you cannot use the NC game as proof that Young can throw. All his receivers he threw to all night were wide open. His TE made a few very nice catches on balls that weren't very well thrown as well. His numbers in that game do not impress me because the USC defense was terrible. He's never had to make difficult plays through the air because he was always able to get out of trouble with his legs. I'm sorry but I really don't think he'll be a very good NFL QB.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby onnestabe » Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:12 pm

maddog60 wrote:Maybe I'm missing something here, but I really don't understand all this "bust talk about Young. He can throw. He got over 3000 yards passing this year (and often times only played between half to 3/4 of a game). He threw 26 TDs and ran in another 12.

Even in the Championship game, he rushed for 200, but threw for over 250, witha 75% completion rate. Rushing for 200 yards makes it obvious he beat them with his legs, but he did also beat them with his arm.

There is no real way to settle this, but here is my take....everyone knows that a good rushing attack can set up big plays in the play-action passing game. Furthermore, the better the play-fake, the longer the defenders are committed to the run, the bigger the play and easier it is to pass. In college, because VY was constantly a threat to run, the defenders had to stay committed to the run the entire play, so VY always had the advantage of throwing against run defenses (did anyone else notice that there was never a defender within 3 steps of UT receivers in the NC game?).

You may be wondering why this won't work in the pros, and my response is in the quality of the defenders. In the pros, VY will be contained for the most part by 4-5 quality defenders (as opposed to not being contained by 11 so-so defenders), so the threat of his running will not be there, leaving the rest of the defense to focus on defending the passing game. Then his accuracy, timing, and ability to read defenses will truly be tested, and I don't think he will pass that test.

As far his stats, look at CBM's post here for an explanation of why stats aren't that important when talking about talent.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Kensat30 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:47 pm

I think Vince is gonna drop outta the top5, just a gut feeling.

Cutler seems prime for some predraft hype-fest that could catapult him over V. Young. Similar to Phillip Rivers vs. Big Ben a couple years back.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk