Five breakout fantasy performers for 2006 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Five breakout fantasy performers for 2006

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby moochman » Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:37 pm

In order for Clayton to be a breakout player next season Boller would have to move him ahead of his three favorite targets. In no particular order:
Heap
Mason
Opposing Secondaries

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Azrael » Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:41 am

I think Clayton has another year yet before he would really break out. He's got to develop more cohesiveness either with Boller or the new QB. Mason is still the No. 1 WR for another year.

Even thought Heap had the most catches, yards, and TDs of his career, I think he perceptually underachieved and will still be no earlier than a 5th rounder.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby confused_jake » Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:24 am

mattb47 wrote:I actually agree with his Clayton pick. I think Clayton could be very good in the coming years for Baltimore if Boller ever wakes up. That guy has zero excuses this year with the WRs and TE he has now. Mason, Clayton, and Heap are some pretty nice targets to have out there.

He didn't have any excuses last year either. I think the ravens are going nowhere fast with Boller lining up under center for them.
confused_jake
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby mattb47 » Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:17 am

confused_jake wrote:
mattb47 wrote:I actually agree with his Clayton pick. I think Clayton could be very good in the coming years for Baltimore if Boller ever wakes up. That guy has zero excuses this year with the WRs and TE he has now. Mason, Clayton, and Heap are some pretty nice targets to have out there.

He didn't have any excuses last year either. I think the ravens are going nowhere fast with Boller lining up under center for them.

Yea, he wasn't injured for most the season or anything..... :-?
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby The_Dude » Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:29 pm

mattb47 wrote:
confused_jake wrote:

Yea, he wasn't injured for most the season or anything..... :-?

I think people are reading waaay too much into two solid games that Boller played last year in weeks 15 and 16. 253 yds, 3 TDs and no INTs vs. GB, who might as well not have started anybody in the secondary, and 289 yds, 3 TDs and 1 pick against Minnesota.

Then, he followed that up by giving a Boller-like 15-36, 156 yd, 2 int, 0 TD performance in week 17 against Cleveland.

You have to be a very optimistic person (or a delusional Ravens fan) if you think those two games against the awful NFC North portend good things to come for Kyle Boller in 2006.

I am the Walrus
The_Dude
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)
Location: My ivory tower, where I oversee the intellectual development of America's youth

Postby mattb47 » Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:33 pm

I hope you're not saying that I think Boller will do well next year....cuz i don't. What I'm saying is that if they plan on giving Boller another chance this year, it will definitely be his last chance to do anything because he definitely has the weapons around him to succeed. I probably think lower of Boller than most people do because I thought basically nothing of those two good games he had.

I agree that there are a lot of people, especially those idiotic ESPN people, that point to those two games as showing the Boller has improved tremendously. I couldn't even watch either of those games because I couldn't stand the announcers acting like everything Boller did was just incredible.... :-b
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby no1cowboysfan » Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:52 pm

I agree with the Dallas pick 110% (a shocker, I'm sure). If you have a dynasty league starting up, or if they're a FA, get them immediately.

Dallas, in their first year with a new defense and a LOT of young guys (Bradie James, Chris Canty, Marcus Spears, Roy Williams, DeMarcus Ware, Terrence Newman, etc.), Dallas performed admirably. They can only improve, and here's why...

+ added experience of young players can only help
+ hope to have Anthony Henry healthy all next season
+ Burnett is being shifted back to natural role
+ Newman gets better and better every year... should have been a Pro Bowler, but got snubbed (let only 1 TD reception go on him)
+ as stated, Roy will get more freedom with addition of cover FS and added pressure in box. And Roy's a beast.

The only downside is the expected loss of defensive leaders LaRoi Glover (damn!) and Greg Ellis (double damn!). But we have great replacements already set to step in (Ferguson, Canty) that are more suited towards 3-4.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Previous

Return to Football Talk