SI.com -- Culpepper wants to stay with Vikes - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

SI.com -- Culpepper wants to stay with Vikes

Moderator: Football Moderators

SI.com -- Culpepper wants to stay with Vikes

Postby onnestabe » Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:07 pm

Posted: Thursday February 16, 2006 4:29PM; Updated: Thursday February 16, 2006 6:00PM

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. (AP) -- Daunte Culpepper wanted to make sure there was no misinterpretation: He's concerned with getting healthy to play again, not speculation about his future with the Minnesota Vikings.

And Culpepper, unless he's told otherwise, plans to play quarterback for the Vikings this fall.

He didn't respond specifically on Thursday to a report that the team is considering trading him because of his recent requests for more money. But Culpepper offered his take on the rumors that have surrounded him since the season ended.

"I have found over the years that 'people with knowledge of the situation' are usually the most ignorant, and 'anonymous sources' are usually synonymous with cowards who don't want to go on the record," Culpepper said in an e-mail to The Associated Press. "My position has been and continues to be that I am focusing on rehabilitating my knee so that I can come back and play the game I love at the highest level.

"Until I hear different from Mr. Wilf or the new 'triangle of authority' at the Vikings I plan on playing quarterback for Minnesota. Trying to delve into speculation, innuendo, rumor or anything else of this nature would be a waste of energy. I choose at this time to spend my energy on getting healthy. Thank you for relaying this message to the public."

The Star Tribune of Minneapolis, citing an anonymous person with knowledge of the situation, reported Thursday that the team is gauging Culpepper's trade value in response to his contract demands. The newspaper, citing three anonymous sources with knowledge of the situation, also reported that Culpepper tried three times in a six-week period ending Jan. 31 to upgrade his deal.

Culpepper let his longtime agent, Mason Ashe, go last month. He has been representing himself since then, saying he wanted to be more involved in his financial business.

The Vikings, coincidentally, introduced their new vice president of player personnel, Fran Foley, at a news conference at their headquarters. But Foley wouldn't address this subject, or much of anything else, and owner Zygi Wilf did not take questions.

"My position will be that we're not going to talk about our football business in public," Foley said. "It's just not going to happen. It's not the way that I do business, and it won't be the way that we'll do business from this point forward."

Foley, who spent the last three seasons with San Diego and the nine years before that with Jacksonville as a personnel official, was asked twice more for general comments on Culpepper. He declined.

"Whether it's Daunte or another player," Foley said, "I can't give you an evaluation on him as a performer -- or our plans with the player."

Culpepper, who was picked for his third Pro Bowl following a record-setting year in 2004, struggled badly through the first part of the 2005 season before tearing the anterior cruciate, medial collateral and posterior cruciate ligaments in his knee during a game against Carolina last Oct. 30.

He had surgery on Nov. 15 and has since spent most of his time rehabilitating in Florida. He spoke last month by phone with new coach Brad Childress, who said at his introductory news conference that the 29-year-old Culpepper "right now, is the franchise quarterback."

But that doesn't mean he will continue to be, despite Wilf's previous pledge to pay Culpepper a $6 million bonus he's due in March.

Though he has maintained his innocence, Culpepper's image was tainted after a wild boat party produced three misdemeanor charges for him and three teammates. The Vikings also must judge his on-field value, considering veteran quarterback Brad Johnson's success in relief and the uncertainty of Culpepper's health following such a catastrophic injury.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby PACKman1144 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:48 pm

Seems like his wants are seperate from the team's wants... it'll be interesting how this thing plays out
PACKman1144
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby no1cowboysfan » Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:51 pm

If he wanted to stay with the team, he shouldn't have requested a pay raise after his worst-ever season and just after getting a huge extension.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Wizzle » Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:03 pm

Culpepper is stupid. Can't think of anything witty to say.
Wizzle
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle Eye

Postby proKrastinate » Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:18 pm

Wizzle wrote:Culpepper is stupid. Can't think of anything witty to say.

not necessarily. if he plays this out that he is the Vikes man unless someone else tells him so, it might seem like his intentions are to be a team player. However, he could be really trying to get a trade without being under eye of the media.
proKrastinate
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby ljthockey » Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:28 pm

no1cowboysfan wrote:If he wanted to stay with the team, he shouldn't have requested a pay raise after his worst-ever season and just after getting a huge extension.

I'm probally wrong here but I thought he came out and said that he didnt request a raise and his agent did without his permission?
[b][color=red]You have just read a Ljthockey© post[/color][/b]

ljthockey
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby lushmd » Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:33 pm

ljthockey wrote:
no1cowboysfan wrote:If he wanted to stay with the team, he shouldn't have requested a pay raise after his worst-ever season and just after getting a huge extension.

I'm probally wrong here but I thought he came out and said that he didnt request a raise and his agent did without his permission?

I recall hearing this as well. At the time, I just assumed that he was lying (since the request wasn't well received)...who knows...
lushmd
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby mysticphysh » Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:34 pm

If Culpepper can prove he can get his knee healthy, he'll get paid. Either by the Vikes or by some other team. He's still a pretty dang good QB, but (much like Farve in GB), he was on a sinking team. Let's not all raise Brad Johnson above what he is. After Culpepper went down, their offense still sucked. Johnson just had the benifit of a defense that was finally starting to come around. Defense and special teams won those games, not the Vike offense.
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby no1cowboysfan » Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:35 pm

lushmd wrote:
ljthockey wrote:

I recall hearing this as well. At the time, I just assumed that he was lying (since the request wasn't well received)...who knows...

this is also what I'm assuming.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby VaderFin » Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:38 pm

no1cowboysfan wrote:
lushmd wrote:
ljthockey wrote:

this is also what I'm assuming.

That is what happened. Then he met with the coaches and the owner after the firing of his agent and demanded the raise himself.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk