Put your GM hat on.... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to New Orleans Saints

Put your GM hat on....

Moderator: Football Moderators

Put your GM hat on....

Postby onnestabe » Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:12 pm

If you were Mickey Loomis, what would your goals be this offseason (other than firing yourself)? Not just talking about what holes you want to fill, but also how and with what players?

As I posted elsewhere, I would want to get McCown via free agency, franchise LeCharles Bentley, and draft D'Brick 2nd overall, and Max Jean-Gilles in the second round. Then I would try to find a future run-stuffing DT later in the draft. As for linebacker, I would try to re-sign Ron McKinnon at MLB, and make a run at either Julian Peterson or Will Witherspoon at OLB (Akin Ayodele could be a possibility if we can't get one of those two).

Comments? What do you want to see them do?
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mikus » Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:33 pm

you've obviously done more homework than i on this danny, but i cannot imagine the saints taking anyone but leinart with the no. 2 pick. maybe that is just because of my own personal opinion however.

but i do not think josh mccown is any good. there must be a reason he kept getting benched in arizona. i would prefer them to pursue a patrick ramsey or matt shaub, or phillip rivers if he is on the market. billy volek also comes to mind. i would take any of those guys over mccown, and others i'm sure.

but i think the best idea for the saints is to draft leinart, make him the face of the franchise, and then build around him. he already has the talent on offense to succeed, and i would argue that because he stayed in school longer than most with his talent, he is already prepared to be a starter in this league.
Thanks to madaslives911 for the sweet sig!
The Hazean: Fantasy football galore
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Location: Same place as every other blogger: My Mom's basement. That is where bloggers work, right?

Postby onnestabe » Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:35 pm

mikus wrote:you've obviously done more homework than i on this danny, but i cannot imagine the saints taking anyone but leinart with the no. 2 pick. maybe that is just because of my own personal opinion however.

but i do not think josh mccown is any good. there must be a reason he kept getting benched in arizona. i would prefer them to pursue a patrick ramsey or matt shaub, or phillip rivers if he is on the market. billy volek also comes to mind. i would take any of those guys over mccown, and others i'm sure.

but i think the best idea for the saints is to draft leinart, make him the face of the franchise, and then build around him. he already has the talent on offense to succeed, and i would argue that because he stayed in school longer than most with his talent, he is already prepared to be a starter in this league.

Yeah, I don't think they would actually do any of the stuff I would want, that's just the approach I would take to it.

As far as McCown versus Leinart, I feel that McCown never really had a chance to succeed in Arizona. Their line has always been bad, and it's just too hard to expect anyone to do well when you can't run and you have no protection. From what I have seen, McCown is able to do a good job when he has time to throw, and getting the best OT and OG in the draft would give the Saints some cornerstones to build around. Of the other free agent QBs out there, McCown is the only one that has even competed for a starting job, and I would rather have someone that has persistently earned his shots than someone that has never been given one (perhaps because the coaches didn't have confidence)

I have not been very impressed by Leinart. He seems to have a weak arm, and I have questions about his character. I am worried he would be throwing his teammates under the bus in front of the media if they have a tough season (and it's the Saints, so there will be many of those).

But anyway, they will probably end up doing what you suggest, and we will see how it goes.

One of my worries is this: what do we do come draft day if someone trades up and takes Leinart #1? Do we draft Vince "future bust" Young?
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby louisianacajunsam » Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:59 pm

i'm getting more and more worried by the day that the saints will in fact keep aaron brooks due to the fact that he would be expensive to release and no one will trade for him and that there is a new coaching staff in there that may think they can groom him.....they cant....aarond brooks has no pocket presence nor ability to throw to a spot...but that doesnt mean the new coaches will be listening to me.....

i wish the saints would pursue volek b/c i've watched and been impressed with him...

then you draft a.j. hawk (either with the second or if you can trade down to #4) if at all possible...the reason you take hawk is b/c he is a beast and a presence the saints need in their defense and no one will be close even though i also like mckinnon and the tenacity he showed last season...

i do like d'brickshaw but there are other quality tackles in the draft and the saints have many glaring holes...maybe even local state product andrew whitworth in the second round b/c he'll be there for the taking....

bam, there ya go...three major holes filled....one dominant player on defense, one quarterback with lots of upside and could be really good, and another quality nfl tackle that can boost the o-line....
after that, i hope they make moves in free agency for outside linebacker, cornerback, and guard...

however, the saints will make none of the moves i want simply b/c they never have (well ok, i admit it, they did make that ricky williams move i wanted so badly haha)...but seriously, alex molden over eddie george dooohhhh!
louisianacajunsam
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Return to New Orleans Saints