Strategy - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Strategy

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:36 pm

I agree that you just can't say RB/RB/WR/WR or whatever, before a draft. Every draft is different and every draft has some surprises. League scoring and starting lineup also has to be a factor.

My only rule is that I almost always take a RB in the 1st round. Starting RB's are harder to come by in most leagues.

Take the standard starting lineup of 1QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/1K/1DST, with the roster being 2QB/3RB/3WR/2TE/2K/2DST.

Assume a 12 team league. Here's who's picked:

24QB's (8 remaining starters)
36RB's (4 backups picked, no remaining starters)
36WR's (28 #1 or #2 starting WR's remaining)
24TE's (8 remaing starters)
24K's (8 remaing starters)
24DST's (8 remaing starters)

Almost every league runs out of starting RB's, forcing teams to pick backups that most of the time get very few yards and maybe an occasional TD. That's why RB's are usually picked early.

No way there is just 1 overall strategy that works in every draft. Noone has the same opinions on players and noone has the same strategies. That's what makes drafting so fun. You have to adjust your draft strategy on the fly depending on how the draft is going.
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby skibrett15 » Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:58 pm

To be honest, many a time I've gone: RB, RB, RB, WR, WR, RB, WR. That is a flex league though, or 3 RB league. I love to wait on wrs, especially when it's a PPR league- guys like mason/rod smith are gold in those leagues.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Wizzle » Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:04 pm

Like a lot of people are saying, I don't go in with a set strategy... it all depends on who's available. One year I went Rb, Wr, Wr, Wr..... This year in a league I went QB, WR, RB, RB, RB and did quite well. Of course it helps when RB's like T.Jones fall extra late, and you get kinda lucky. Another league this year I went RB, RB, RB because I had first pick. By the time it got back around to me DD and McAllister were still available. There was no way I could pass up on them and I had intentions of trading one until DMac got hurt.
Wizzle
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle Eye

Postby Charlie24 » Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:09 pm

I just go with the flow of the draft... every time I head into the draft thinking alright it has to be 3 RBs with the first 3 picks do not deviate from that!!! but i've never been able to actually do it... for example last year I took McGahee and Rudi with my first 2 picks, when my next pick came up I felt the best available WR was a better pick than the best available RB so I ended up getting R Wayne, H Ward, and S Smith with the following three picks ( I got a bit carried away with the WRs O:-) ). Long story short, get the best available player while taking care of your needs at the same time

The draft position also plays a part... If you have the first pick in the draft you'll have a very high third round pick and your chances of still nabbing a decent RB are very good whereas the 9th pick in the draft for example would have a low 3rd round pick
[URL=http://imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
Charlie24
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle Eye

Postby maddog60 » Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:22 pm

I prefer a looser strategy:

rounds 1-4:

Get 2 RBs, 1 WR, and 1 misc.

rounds 5-8:

Get 1 RB, 1, WR, 1 TE/QB if I didn't in rounds 1-4, and 1 misc

rounds 9 - up:

Best Available Selection

Generally I agree with the RB-RB method, because of the scarcity of quality RBs, but there are times when its a solid option to go RB-WR-RB.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Estarr01 » Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:00 pm

My only rule that I follow is 1 RB in the first round, but for the most part I try to adhere to this logic

RB - this is almost a concencus
RB/WR- Depends on who is available, but i always try to get a WR in the 1st 3 rounds. I prefer to a #1 WR that I feel confindent will finish in the top 5
RB/WR - No matter how it plays out I will always draft 2 RB's in the first three rounds
RB/WR - Best available of the two

From there on out it's the best players available, I would even be willing to take a QB in round 4 if there was one available that I thought warranted the pick.
Estarr01
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby TN_Titans_05 » Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:37 pm

Does this stem from the FSFFL draft at all Delhomme :-D

C-H-A-M-P-I-O-N-S-H-I-P
TN_Titans_05
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:18 am

TN_Titans_05 wrote:Does this stem from the FSFFL draft at all Delhomme :-D

That's what I was wondering as well. :-?
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby DelhommesFan1 » Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:13 am

na man...i was just curious...nothing else is going on in here, i thought id get something going.
DelhommesFan1
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Azrael » Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:34 am

My strategy depends on the size of the starting lineup and scoring. For example, in my TD heavy league that started QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, K, Def I had no bones about taking Gates at any point in the 2nd round because of the fixed TE spot that was heavy on TDs.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk