Pennington: No Pay Cut - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Pennington: No Pay Cut

Moderator: Football Moderators

Pennington: No Pay Cut

Postby no1cowboysfan » Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:38 pm

from ESPN

Chad Pennington won't take a pay cut -- and it could cost him his job.

According to a report on Newsday's Web site Saturday morning, the New York Jets quarterback's agent, Tom Condon, rejected the team's proposal to cut Pennington's salary for the 2006 season. As first reported by ESPN's Chris Mortensen on Sunday, the Jets asked Pennington to take a pay cut to a $1 million base salary with incentives that would compensate for the remaining $8 million the team owes him.

A source close to the situation told Newsday that if the team and quarterback can't resolve the issue, Pennington could be released.

Pennington signed a $64 million, seven-year deal two years ago. He is expected to have a salary cap number close to $12 million this season, including a $3 million roster bonus due in March. Even if the Jets cut him, they would take a salary hit of about $10 million because of the prorated salary cap.

According to Newsday, the Jets, who will be more than $20 million over the cap this season, don't want to pay the $3 million bonus and are concerned about Pennington's right shoulder injury and whether his arm will return to full strength.

Pennington hurt his shoulder during the 2004 season, missed three games and then returned for the end of the regular season and the playoffs. It was clear then that his arm strength was significantly reduced and after the season the team said he would have rotator cuff surgery.

He returned in 2005 but was injured in the third game of the season and again had surgery, missing the rest of the season. The team's problems were compounded when Jay Fiedler, acquired as insurance in the offseason, was injured seven plays after Pennington and was also lost for the season.

That left the Jets with third-stringer Brooks Bollinger and 42-year-old Vinny Testaverde, and the team finished 4-12. After the season, coach Herman Edwards left for Kansas City and Mike Tannenbaum replaced general manager Terry Bradway.

Complicating the issue is the lack of an extension to the league's collective bargaining agreement with the players' union. The contract expires in 2008, but 2007 would be an uncapped season, leaving questions about the length and size of deals with free agents.

Citing sources close to the situation, Newsday reported that the Jets are trying to get running back Curtis Martin, guard Pete Kendall, tackle Jason Fabini, receiver Laveranues Coles and center Kevin Mawae either to accept pay cuts or to renegotiate their contracts. The team has already decided to part ways with cornerback Ty Law, who is due an $11 million bonus.

Information from The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Can't blame the guy. Who wants to take 8 million less?

This pretty much insures he's cut now. It'll be interesting in upcoming weeks to see how he works out with teams... and who takes the chance with him.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Nilmerf » Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:41 pm

I could see Pennington with the Vikings. The Lions or Ravens would be smart to sign him.
Nilmerf
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:50 pm

Nilmerf wrote:I could see Pennington with the Vikings. The Lions or Ravens would be smart to sign him.

Noone would be smart to take a chance on Paper Pennington. I've watched every game of his pro career and he's done.
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby mattb47 » Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:10 pm

Nilmerf wrote:I could see Pennington with the Vikings. The Lions or Ravens would be smart to sign him.

The Lions would be a pretty terrible fit for Pennington because Martz is going to want to throw downfield more and Pennington does not have a very strong arm. He is a better fit on a team that doesn't require their QB to do much else other than manage the game. I think a team like Baltimore, Miami, or Dallas is a better fit for Penny.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby VaderFin » Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:21 pm

I already posted the same thing in the Pennington thread.

http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/foru ... &&start=15
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mysticphysh » Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:53 pm

flotsamnjetsam wrote:

Noone would be smart to take a chance on Paper Pennington. I've watched every game of his pro career and he's done.

You're seen all 6 or 7 of them? ;-7
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby killiansjmd » Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:17 pm

I doubt he gets cut. Both sides will come to an agreement. He'll probably take a $4 mill cut in which he can earn it back based on incentives.
Thanks to Metroid for the sig!
killiansjmd
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Redskins Win » Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:38 pm

killiansjmd wrote:I doubt he gets cut. Both sides will come to an agreement. He'll probably take a $4 mill cut in which he can earn it back based on incentives.

Yeah sounds like first round of negotiations. Round goes to Penny
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The_Captain » Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:54 pm

mattb47 wrote:

The Lions would be a pretty terrible fit for Pennington because Martz is going to want to throw downfield more and Pennington does not have a very strong arm. He is a better fit on a team that doesn't require their QB to do much else other than manage the game. I think a team like Baltimore, Miami, or Dallas is a better fit for Penny.

While Parcells really likes a QB who manages the game, Dallas fans are pretty tired of getting QB's who are immobile (Bledsoe and Vinny) and don't do much throwing. The Cowboys were great when Bill allowed the offense to open up. Penny's twice repaired shoulder makes him a risk - one I don't think Bill would take a chance on. Most of the Dallas fans I talk to would like Bill to give Tony Romo a chance. Romo is good and mobile and throws a nice ball and the real shame is he hasn't been given a chance to shine.

I could see Penny going to BALT or MIA however.

"This is your captain calling--with an urgent warning" - The The
The_Captain
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby steelerfan513 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:57 pm

looking over teams' cap situations, it looks like his 3 options are minnesota, baltimore, and detroit, which is what everyone has been saying. new orleans will draft someone, and no one else with a solid cap situation needs a qb that badly.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Next

Return to Football Talk