R. Williams Fails Another Test - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

R. Williams Fails Another Test

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby bklik » Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:36 pm

moonhead wrote:is it just me or is it absolutely absurd for someone to be suspended from the NFL for marijuana? why do they even test for this? in all my experience i can't even begin to fathom it being a performance enhancing drug. well, it could enhance your performance in the bedroom, from time to time, but not on the football field. i mean WTF. That's my main gripe about it.

Now, that being said, what a moron.

I heard on the radio 15 minutes ago (foxsportsradio) that it was confirmed that he failed and did not miss the urinalysis.

I hear ya moonhead. No reason at all for this drug to be tested for use in athletes outside of 1) protecting NFL's image(?)

Alas, if I get tested for it while at work (thus I dont do it), I guess Ricky should've wised up. He seemed like a very well-spoken guy when talking about his return on "Outside the Lines" earlier this year and I actually had a little respect for him.

Peace out respect :-t
bklik
Head Coach
Head Coach

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The_Dude » Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:03 pm

moonhead wrote:is it just me or is it absolutely absurd for someone to be suspended from the NFL for marijuana? why do they even test for this? in all my experience i can't even begin to fathom it being a performance enhancing drug. well, it could enhance your performance in the bedroom, from time to time, but not on the football field. i mean WTF. That's my main gripe about it.

I heard on the radio 15 minutes ago (foxsportsradio) that it was confirmed that he failed and did not miss the urinalysis.

I agree 100%

Marijuana is not a performance enhancing drug - its a performance inhibiting drug.

I am the Walrus
The_Dude
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)
Location: My ivory tower, where I oversee the intellectual development of America's youth

Postby mysticphysh » Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:35 pm

The_Dude wrote:

I agree 100%

Marijuana is not a performance enhancing drug - its a performance inhibiting drug.

It is tested for because it is illegal. Same with coke or meth or herion. They're all non-performance inhancing drugs, but they are all illegal. Just like most employers test for any drugs, the NFL has the right to test for any drugs. Has nothing to do with performance inhancing.

If you guys think a year suspension is harsh, get tested positive at any other job and you won't have a job at all.
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby TheDiplomats » Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:41 pm

I think it's a little harsh to give a one year suspension..But you guys gotta realize, it's his 4th time..Whether a year is harsh enough or not, Who really knows?

I don't even want to see the guy anymore because I'm tired of hearing about his entire fiasco. Another thing is that Ricky could appeal the one year ban but if he's tested positive, I don't see how he could win the appeal. If he had just missed it, then maybe he had a chance.
TheDiplomats
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby moonhead » Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:52 pm

mysticphysh wrote:
The_Dude wrote:

I agree 100%

It is tested for because it is illegal. Same with coke or meth or herion. They're all non-performance inhancing drugs, but they are all illegal. Just like most employers test for any drugs, the NFL has the right to test for any drugs. Has nothing to do with performance inhancing.

If you guys think a year suspension is harsh, get tested positive at any other job and you won't have a job at all.

i still don't think the NFL should test for it. sure they have the right...but are they protecting the integrity of the game by testing for pot? no. if this was steroids it would be a different story. there they are protecting the integrity of the game and everyone would be happier about it.

and actually i've been hearing that it is not THC that ricky tested positive for. So he may have a leg to stand on here. You know he's been doing holistic healing and some pretty far out there herbal treatments. There could be some strange reaction with some of his legal herbs that show up as a false positive on the urinalysis.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby mysticphysh » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:00 pm

moonhead wrote:
mysticphysh wrote:
The_Dude wrote:

I agree 100%

i still don't think the NFL should test for it. sure they have the right...but are they protecting the integrity of the game by testing for pot? no. if this was steroids it would be a different story. there they are protecting the integrity of the game and everyone would be happier about it.

and actually i've been hearing that it is not THC that ricky tested positive for. So he may have a leg to stand on here. You know he's been doing holistic healing and some pretty far out there herbal treatments. There could be some strange reaction with some of his legal herbs that show up as a false positive on the urinalysis.

Weed does hurt the integrity of the game, as it hurts the integrity of any institution. I know some of you guys admitted your use, but seriously, most of America frowns on drugs, including weed, no matter how "harmless" some might think it is. The NFL is a company, and drugs hurt any company. And as a public company, they have an obligation to stand up as role-models. If they say "Oh Ricky did drugs AGAIN, but it was only weed, so it's all ok." That would send the wrong messages to kids who want to grow up to be athletes and thinks its ok, and they'll succeed even if they do drugs.
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby moonhead » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:08 pm

mysticphysh wrote:
moonhead wrote:
mysticphysh wrote:
The_Dude wrote:

I agree 100%

Weed does hurt the integrity of the game, as it hurts the integrity of any institution. I know some of you guys admitted your use, but seriously, most of America frowns on drugs, including weed, no matter how "harmless" some might think it is. The NFL is a company, and drugs hurt any company. And as a public company, they have an obligation to stand up as role-models. If they say "Oh Ricky did drugs AGAIN, but it was only weed, so it's all ok." That would send the wrong messages to kids who want to grow up to be athletes and thinks its ok, and they'll succeed even if they do drugs.

if they didn't test for it, it would be less of a spectacle than it is already. no one would know that ricky smokes pot. there, of course, would be speculation...because of the dreads and the eccentricities. but i think by making an example out of Ricky for his drug use tarnishes the league more than if it wasn't public knowledge. I think guys like Leonard Little and Steve Mcnair who drive drunk should face harsher penalties than guys that enjoy getting high in the comfort of their own homes. It's a double standard. That's illegal too, but i don't think either guy served a suspension. Leonard Little had to do time in jail...but to my knowledge had no repurcussions at work. It's antiquated and unfair. IMO.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby The_Captain » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:09 pm

I agree - as a father of two I would not want my child looking up to an athlete who admits to drug use. And it does create a bad image for the NFL just like mysticphish said.

"This is your captain calling--with an urgent warning" - The The
The_Captain
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ShoelessJoe » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:09 pm

The_Dude wrote:

I agree 100%

If I am an NFL player, and I kill someone, it in no way helps my performance as an NFL player, it probably hurts it because of me always thinking about it. But, according to your logic, the NFL should not look into this? If something is illegal then it's illegal, whether you or the NFL agrees with it. As of now, marijuana is an illegal drug in the United States, where the NFL exists, do you think they want the reputation of an organization that looks the other way on the law and doesn't care if its employees break the law? I think not...
Go Gators
ShoelessJoe
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby mysticphysh » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:17 pm

moonhead wrote:if they didn't test for it, it would be less of a spectacle than it is already. no one would know that ricky smokes pot. there, of course, would be speculation...because of the dreads and the eccentricities. but i think by making an example out of Ricky for his drug use tarnishes the league more than if it wasn't public knowledge. I think guys like Leonard Little and Steve Mcnair who drive drunk should face harsher penalties than guys that enjoy getting high in the comfort of their own homes. It's a double standard. That's illegal too, but i don't think either guy served a suspension. Leonard Little had to do time in jail...but to my knowledge had no repurcussions at work. It's antiquated and unfair. IMO.

Oh, I agree completely. There's nothing more in the NFL that pisses me off more then the fact that Little is still playing even though he killed a woman while driving drunk (which wasn't his first DWI offense). There's no one team that I can say I "hate" other then the Rams. Little's presence within the NFL soils the company for all those who know about this. But, I honestly can't comment on NFL's punishment of him, because I don't know where the case is on a legal standpoint (whether its still pending, or dropped, or convicted or whatever).

Legally, the NFL does have a policy that's cut and dry about any illegal drug. 4 positive tests and it's one year. Ricky knew that, Ricky knew weed is banned in the NFL (whether you guys or he agrees with it), Ricky knew he'd be tested in the offseason as a condition of his previous offenses , so Ricky should face the consiquences of his actions.
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk