NFL Lockout!?! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

NFL Lockout!?!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby portisfan24 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:49 pm

Pretty different situation from the NHL. They were trying to implement a cap and reduce salaries by a ton. The NFL's only problem is figuring out how to spend so much freaking money.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby logan » Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:56 pm

that's true. i was just using it as an fallout example of what could happen if a lockout occured.
logan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Postby Plindsey88 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:38 pm

I highly doubt there will be a lock-out.... It's easy enough for the NHL to have a lock-out, because those clubs make so very little money, anyways... For the vast majority of the NHL teams, not playing a season doesn't affect the bottomline by all that much...

For the NFL, however, you are talking about an industry that generates $10's of billions every year... Sitting out a season could very easily cost an individual owner $100 million - $200 million...

No one is going to take a hit like that if it can possibly be avoided...

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SeaWolf » Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:44 am

flotsamnjetsam wrote:
mikus wrote:it's already happened once before. i want to say 1988 or 1987. i remember b/c that is when john forcade became the saints QB, he was a replacement player. my dad also tried out for the team. for those of you who do not know/remember john forcade, he made the jump pass "popular" in football.

It happened in 1982 & 1987.

Replacements happened in 87, not 82. 82 was a 7 week strike. no NFL for 7 weeks. :-t
In 87 we missed week 3 (I think) then had replacement players for the next 4 weeks.
Sporting events are family events. If you can't watch your language for 3 hours then stay home.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Santacruzer » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:55 pm

The NHL is a lot different than the NFL one. The main one being there were a couple of "muttonheads" leading each side. When the players finally came back, they took less money than was offered near the start of the lockout (needless to say, the NHLPA has a new union boss). Another thing that was mentioned is right as well. They had to make drastic pay cuts throughout the league, and that never makes for a pretty situation.

I still don't think there will be a NFL lockout. Both sides know that it is in both of their best interests to keep things going. I think this is merely posturing, and talk.
Santacruzer
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby J2thez929 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:49 pm

Plindsey88 wrote:I highly doubt there will be a lock-out.... It's easy enough for the NHL to have a lock-out, because those clubs make so very little money, anyways... For the vast majority of the NHL teams, not playing a season doesn't affect the bottomline by all that much...

For the NFL, however, you are talking about an industry that generates $10's of billions every year... Sitting out a season could very easily cost an individual owner $100 million - $200 million...

No one is going to take a hit like that if it can possibly be avoided...

I agree with Plindsey. Imagine all the money that would be lost by the owners if this happened. It's all talk to get the owners to bite into the player's bargaining agreement.
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby steelerfan513 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:10 pm

i wouldnt be able to bear an nfl without a salary cap. baseball is corrupt because of it; the yankees are rich every year. if that happened, say bye bye to teams from small cities having a chance. this is the majority of nfl teams, so i think they will fight it and win.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby no1cowboysfan » Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:12 pm

steelerfan513 wrote:i wouldnt be able to bear an nfl without a salary cap. baseball is corrupt because of it; the yankees are rich every year. if that happened, say bye bye to teams from small cities having a chance. this is the majority of nfl teams, so i think they will fight it and win.

I wouldn't mind... ;-D Jer-ry! Jer-ry! Jer-ry!

But seriously, I like the cap because it keeps things interesting. Any given year, we have nobody teams coming up, salary cap casulalties, etc. The only bad thing is when players want more money than their teams can afford... and players who've been with a team for a long time leave in the twilight of their careers.

But without trades and cap casualties, where would any of us be during the offseason?

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby merc » Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:19 pm

Alright... I am all for replacement players and strippers on the sidelines as cheerleaders... and of course, a game ticket which regular folks like us can afford...

Maybe, a lockout/strike will bring the game back to the people?
Thanks Anx2a for the Custom Sig

[i]2006 Cafe TSN Ultimate Salary Cap Playoff Champion[/i]
merc
General Manager
General Manager

Postby CC » Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:51 pm

I would play Replacement Player FF. I bet I would kill it, I know too much about players that just missed the NFL and the CFL not to.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk