VBD Cheatsheet.... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

VBD Cheatsheet....

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Plindsey88 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:30 pm

Crimedogg32 wrote:
Plindsey88 wrote:
Crimedogg32 wrote:may I ask where you got the per game numbers for the players?

Divided total numbers by games played.... Both should be available on whatever stat site you prefer (NFL.com, ESPN.com, Yahoo.com, etc... etc...)

yea im asking which one you got it from and maybe a scoring system used so you can see how your results may vary from a different site/diffrent scoring system

I believe I pulled the stats from Yahoo, although I pulled those a while ago, and it could have also been ESPN....

And I used standard scoring:

Passing:

25 yards = 1 pt
1 TD = 4 pts
1 INT = -2 pts

Rushing and Receiving:

10 yards = 1 pt
1 TD = 6 pts

One thing I can tell you, though, is that it will be impossible for you to duplicate my results exactly, without knowing exactly which players I had in my subsets... And I would share that information if I had it, but I trimmed my list down once I did the sort, so a lot of guys didn't make the list who were actually included in the averaging process...

Does that make sense?

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Plindsey88 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:30 pm

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:This is strictly for last year's results and does not take changes in coach, players, age, or philosophy into account. Correct?

Correct.... Strictly statistical analysis based on 2005's numbers....

Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bklik » Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:33 pm

Maybe this article can clear things up. This is what I used this past year in an attempt at VBD.

http://www.footballguys.com/bryantvbd.htm
bklik
Head Coach
Head Coach

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Crimedogg32 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:34 pm

Plindsey88 wrote:
Crimedogg32 wrote:
Plindsey88 wrote:
Crimedogg32 wrote:may I ask where you got the per game numbers for the players?

Divided total numbers by games played.... Both should be available on whatever stat site you prefer (NFL.com, ESPN.com, Yahoo.com, etc... etc...)

yea im asking which one you got it from and maybe a scoring system used so you can see how your results may vary from a different site/diffrent scoring system

I believe I pulled the stats from Yahoo, although I pulled those a while ago, and it could have also been ESPN....

And I used standard scoring:

Passing:

25 yards = 1 pt
1 TD = 4 pts
1 INT = -2 pts

Rushing and Receiving:

10 yards = 1 pt
1 TD = 6 pts

One thing I can tell you, though, is that it will be impossible for you to duplicate my results exactly, without knowing exactly which players I had in my subsets... And I would share that information if I had it, but I trimmed my list down once I did the sort, so a lot of guys didn't make the list who were actually included in the averaging process...

Does that make sense?

ok thanks for that ;-D

just wanted to make sure on the scoring system like QBs didnt get 6 pts a TD or PPR it clears it up now ;-D
Crimedogg32
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Plindsey88 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:00 pm

bklik wrote:Maybe this article can clear things up. This is what I used this past year in an attempt at VBD.

That's a nice article... Sums up what I did, nicely, but instead of projecting stats, I used last year's stats...

I will probably do another VBD cheatsheet in late July wherein I project player numbers, rather than look at last year's figures, but for now, I think this is a relatively decent list....

Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby dream_017 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:22 am

Plindsey88 wrote:
bklik wrote:Maybe this article can clear things up. This is what I used this past year in an attempt at VBD.

That's a nice article... Sums up what I did, nicely, but instead of projecting stats, I used last year's stats...

I will probably do another VBD cheatsheet in late July wherein I project player numbers, rather than look at last year's figures, but for now, I think this is a relatively decent list....

I take a both to create my VBD sheet. I use historical stats as well as predictions for the upcoming year fo rmy final sheet. It has worked very well for me. Each year I tweak the weight system I use and it keeps getting better ;-D
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 60)

Postby Plindsey88 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:07 am

dream_017 wrote:
Plindsey88 wrote:

I take a both to create my VBD sheet. I use historical stats as well as predictions for the upcoming year fo rmy final sheet. It has worked very well for me. Each year I tweak the weight system I use and it keeps getting better ;-D

My positional scarcity modifiers are simple:

32 starting QB's in the NFL divided by 1 starting QB per fantasy team = 32

32 starting TE's in the NFL (give or take) divided by 1 starting TE per fantasy team = 32

32 starting RB's in the NFL (give or take) divided by 2 starting RB's per fantasy team = 16

64 starting WR's in the NFL (give or take) divided by 3 starting WR's per fantasy team = 21.33

QB = 32
TE = 32
WR = 21.33
RB = 16

Divide your raw scores by those numbers, and it will add the necessary weight you need to scarce positions...

For example, a RB with a raw score equal to that of a QB ends up with twice the weighted score, by nature of the fact that his raw score is divided by half as much as the QB's... Which makes sense, since you have to start twice as many RB's as QB's... They should be roughly twice as valuable...

Oh, and for those folks using Excel, here's a little formula I find handy:

I put the position of my players in column B... I use "QB," RB," "TE," or "WR" to denote the player's position....

I place the modifer in column F....

Rather than manually go through each player and put his modifier in, I place the following formula in cell F1 and copy it the whole way down the column:

=IF(B1="WR", 21.33, (IF(B1="QB", 32, IF(B1="TE", 32, IF(B1="RB", 16, 0)))))

Then, as I fill in player positions into column B, the modifier column is automatically populated with the correct modifier... And it defaults to zero....

Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Previous

Return to Football Talk