Naive Question... Does the NFL do random tests for steroids? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Naive Question... Does the NFL do random tests for steroids?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Naive Question... Does the NFL do random tests for steroids?

Postby merc » Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:01 pm

Well, do they? If so, what is the policy with regard to that testing and how does it compare to the NBA and NLB policies?

Thanks!
Thanks Anx2a for the Custom Sig

[i]2006 Cafe TSN Ultimate Salary Cap Playoff Champion[/i]
merc
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby steelerfan513 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:04 pm

i think its only for players who have violated the policy in the past. i think that they have them fairly often but are told when they will happen.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby logan » Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:21 pm

i belive it falls under the substance abuse policy and is tested the same way other drugs are.
logan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Postby merc » Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Hmmm, so does that mean that there is no random testing for steroids in the NFL?
That only those who got caught smoking pot or other illegal drugs get also tested for steroids, or other banned, supposedly performance enhancing chemicals... like some cold meds?

merc
General Manager
General Manager

Postby dream_017 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:39 pm

This story has some good information on the NFL policy

Under the NFL’s substance abuse policy, there are more than 9,000 tests a year, including about 1,600 during the off-season. A first-time offender will be suspended four games or 25 percent of the season. A player who violates the policy twice will be suspended eight games, while third and fourth-time violators will be handed a one-year suspension without pay.

Each team also tests seven random players a week after a computer-generated list is released.

dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 69)

Postby VaderFin » Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:42 pm

The basis of the NFL's steroid policy is:

An annual test for all players plus unannounced random testing in and out of season. We test players on all teams each week of the season, conducting more than 8,000 tests per year for steroids and related substances.
A list of more than 70 prohibited substances, including anabolic steroids, steroid precursors, growth hormone, stimulants, and masking agents. This list is revised and expanded on an ongoing basis.
A mandatory four-game suspension (25 percent of the season) without pay upon a first violation. A second violation would result in a six-game suspension and a third would ban a player for a minimum of one year. Players cannot return to the field until they test clean and are cleared for play.
Strict liability for players who test positive. Violations are not excused because a player says he was unaware that a product contained a banned substance.
Education of players and teams about the program through literature, videos, a toll-free hotline, and mandatory meetings

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/7132443

So yes, there is random testing for everyone not just past failed testers.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby merc » Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:54 pm

Thanks guys for all the great info and links on the NFL policy for banned substance testing.

Does anyone else think that this random testing policy is at best weak, and only slightly better than testing the general population for banned substance use in you or me?

My guess is that player bulk and substance induced agression is a real positive when it comes to each weekend's games on TV?

Well, it makes total sense that someone like R. Williams would be a wonderful target for finding something related to his pacifist religious and lifetime attitudes and his lifestyle.

"Egad.... he doesn't need the NFL so we should get rid of him ASAP."

IMO, unless it is for a "real" drug, his testing is bogus, prejudicial and just wrong... IMO.

merc
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ChyBoy » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:21 pm

8000 - 9000 tests. That is a lot of tests. Lets see there is what 52 men on a roster, 32 teams, that equals 1664 players. I know that players who tested positive before is tested more often, but it still looks like the odds of being randomly tested is pretty high.
ChyBoy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:42 am

merc wrote:My guess is that player bulk and substance induced agression is a real positive when it comes to each weekend's games on TV?

Are you saying steroid use is a good thing???
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:14 am

merc wrote:Thanks guys for all the great info and links on the NFL policy for banned substance testing.

Does anyone else think that this random testing policy is at best weak, and only slightly better than testing the general population for banned substance use in you or me?

My guess is that player bulk and substance induced agression is a real positive when it comes to each weekend's games on TV?

Well, it makes total sense that someone like R. Williams would be a wonderful target for finding something related to his pacifist religious and lifetime attitudes and his lifestyle.

"Egad.... he doesn't need the NFL so we should get rid of him ASAP."

IMO, unless it is for a "real" drug, his testing is bogus, prejudicial and just wrong... IMO.

I don't agree merc. The NFL tests everyone equally and at random. How is that prejudicial? They test for banned illegal substances that include pot, cocaine, steroids, etc. These are all "real" drugs. After a player fails a 1st drug test the NFL forces them to take more tests than everyone else just to make sure that they are clean. Ricky already failed 3 drug tests before this one so I'm sure he was tested even more. It has nothing to do with Ricky's "pacifist religious and lifetime attitudes and his lifestyle". It has everything to do with Ricky repeatedly breaking an NFL rule by continuing to put banned substances into his body. You might not agree with some of the substances that the NFL has banned, but these are the rules of the NFL. Ricky's testing is not bogus, prejudicial, and wrong. The testings are 100% justified within the rules of the NFL. They weren't singling him out because of his lifestyle. They were singling him out because he already failed 3 drug tests and by the rules of the NFL he gets tested more often. If Ricky was taking some sort of herbs to help him with yoga, it's up to him to find out if the herbs were on the NFL's banned substance list.
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Next

Return to Football Talk