Abraham gets the Tag... again - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Abraham gets the Tag... again

Moderator: Football Moderators

Abraham gets the Tag... again

Postby no1cowboysfan » Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:33 pm

I think I saw this floating in another thread too, but this news merits its own...

Gotta feel sorry for this guy. No respect. The question remains... are they going to trade him, or what?

# AP reports The New York Jets have announced DE John Abraham has been designated as the team's franchise player for 2006. If Abraham is offered a contract that the Jets do not elect to match, the Jets would receive two first round draft choices in the NFL Draft in return.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby maddog60 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:13 pm

As far over the cap as they are, given the odds they need to acquire another feasible QB option whether Pennington takes a cut or not, I can't possibly see how they can afford to keep him at this rate.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby michaelavelli » Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:13 pm

I don't think it's much of a question. The Jets are in no position to afford signing Abraham long term. Their choices were to either let him walk for nothing or to tag him and get something for him. He'll almost certainly be traded.
michaelavelli
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby disgruntledjetsfan » Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:14 pm

If Abraham is offered a contract that the Jets do not elect to match, the Jets would receive two first round draft choices in the NFL Draft in return.

That would be too good to be true...

Anyways, I do think the Jets are going to try and trade him. Bryan Thomas has the potential (has great speed and good size) to be an Abraham clone, and with them going to a 3-4, the Jets need a NT more than they need Abraham. Personally I think a trade with the Chiefs might happen: Chiefs 1st rounder (20th overall) for Abraham and a future 3rd rounder or something. Then the Jets would take Young or Cutler or one of the RBs with the #4 and an OT with 20.
disgruntledjetsfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 8)

Postby terpfan » Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:05 pm

I think he'll probably be traded, and this is the first step. No way anyone gives up two first for him.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Re: Abraham gets the Tag... again

Postby Wizzle » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:08 pm

no1cowboysfan wrote:I think I saw this floating in another thread too, but this news merits its own...

Gotta feel sorry for this guy. No respect. The question remains... are they going to trade him, or what?

# AP reports The New York Jets have announced DE John Abraham has been designated as the team's franchise player for 2006. If Abraham is offered a contract that the Jets do not elect to match, the Jets would receive two first round draft choices in the NFL Draft in return.

You know, I really don't feel sorry for anyone who gets franchised. All it means is that he is guaranteed to have a top 5 DE contract.
Wizzle
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle Eye

Postby steelerfan513 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:29 pm

i feel sorry for him a little because it shows the team isnt ready to commit to him. its understandable this year, but last year it wasnt. they probably will trade him because they have a horrible cap situation.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby no1cowboysfan » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:49 pm

Wizzle wrote:
no1cowboysfan wrote:I think I saw this floating in another thread too, but this news merits its own...

You know, I really don't feel sorry for anyone who gets franchised. All it means is that he is guaranteed to have a top 5 DE contract.

Are you kidding?

What if he broke his leg in the offseason, and could never play again?

Look, he deserves his longterm contract. He's deserved his guaranteed money. Simple as that... the Jets have been dicks to one of the best players they've had in a while.

no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:03 pm

no1cowboysfan wrote:
Wizzle wrote:

Are you kidding?

What if he broke his leg in the offseason, and could never play again?

Look, he deserves his longterm contract. He's deserved his guaranteed money. Simple as that... the Jets have been dicks to one of the best players they've had in a while.

I agree that the Jets have been screwing with him for far too long, but obviously you don't know all the problems Abraham has caused in his career. Injuries (he's missed games in 3 out of 6 seasons), DUI, not playing in the playoffs when he was medically cleared. There's no denying his talent and I really wish the Jets could/would keep him, but he's not as deserving as you think.
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby no1cowboysfan » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:12 pm

I know all the problems surrounding Abraham, but they can still try to give him a pretty big contract and lace the rest with incentives. Most players miss at least a game for a season... injuries happen.

And if the don't want to give him that contract, then let him go to a team that can.

no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Football Talk