Abraham gets the Tag... again - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Abraham gets the Tag... again

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Abraham gets the Tag... again

Postby Wizzle » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:26 pm

no1cowboysfan wrote:
Wizzle wrote:
no1cowboysfan wrote:I think I saw this floating in another thread too, but this news merits its own...

Gotta feel sorry for this guy. No respect. The question remains... are they going to trade him, or what?

# AP reports The New York Jets have announced DE John Abraham has been designated as the team's franchise player for 2006. If Abraham is offered a contract that the Jets do not elect to match, the Jets would receive two first round draft choices in the NFL Draft in return.

You know, I really don't feel sorry for anyone who gets franchised. All it means is that he is guaranteed to have a top 5 DE contract.

Are you kidding?

What if he broke his leg in the offseason, and could never play again?

Look, he deserves his longterm contract. He's deserved his guaranteed money. Simple as that... the Jets have been dicks to one of the best players they've had in a while.

No, I'm not kidding. Anyone with any sense for money would understand that 99% of the population could retire with 1 year worth of his wages. I find it very hard to feel sorry for him, or any football player for that matter.
Wizzle
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Wizzle » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:31 pm

Wizzle wrote:
no1cowboysfan wrote:
Wizzle wrote:
no1cowboysfan wrote:I think I saw this floating in another thread too, but this news merits its own...

Gotta feel sorry for this guy. No respect. The question remains... are they going to trade him, or what?

# AP reports The New York Jets have announced DE John Abraham has been designated as the team's franchise player for 2006. If Abraham is offered a contract that the Jets do not elect to match, the Jets would receive two first round draft choices in the NFL Draft in return.

You know, I really don't feel sorry for anyone who gets franchised. All it means is that he is guaranteed to have a top 5 DE contract.

Are you kidding?

Look, he deserves his longterm contract. He's deserved his guaranteed money. Simple as that... the Jets have been dicks to one of the best players they've had in a while.

No, I'm not kidding. Anyone with any sense for money would understand that 99% of the population could retire with 1 year worth of his wages. I find it very hard to feel sorry for him, or any football player for that matter.

Oh, and as for him breaking his leg. Smart guy says, "get insurance".
Wizzle
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle Eye

Postby mysticphysh » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:58 pm

Do the Jets even have the cap salary to afford a tag on him?
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:02 pm

mysticphysh wrote:Do the Jets even have the cap salary to afford a tag on him?

They will be making salary cap casualty cuts this week and are trying to restructure numerous contracts in order to get under the cap. I really wish the Jets would just sign him to a long term contract, but it doesn't look like that will happen. They are 26-29 million dollars over the cap for next year.
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)

Postby no1cowboysfan » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:03 pm

Wizzle wrote:
Wizzle wrote:
no1cowboysfan wrote:
Wizzle wrote:

Are you kidding?

Oh, and as for him breaking his leg. Smart guy says, "get insurance".

the average guy also isn't a key player in a franchise worth several million dollars. probably a few hundred million dollars.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Previous

Return to Football Talk