Lynch signs contract extension with Broncos - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Lynch signs contract extension with Broncos

Moderator: Football Moderators

Lynch signs contract extension with Broncos

Postby steelerfan513 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:35 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2338748

DENVER -- Broncos safety John Lynch signed a deal Tuesday that will keep the seven-time Pro Bowler in Denver through the 2008 season. Terms were not disclosed.

Lynch, who joined the Broncos in 2004 from Tampa Bay, is entering his 14th season in the NFL and third with Denver. He is 34.

In 195 regular-season games, Lynch has 1,118 tackles (677 solo), 26 interceptions and 12 sacks. He has 92 career pass breakups, 14 forced fumbles and seven fumble recoveries.

Lynch made five Pro Bowls (1997, 1999-2002) with Tampa Bay and two more with Denver (2004-05). Last year, he started all 16 regular-season games for the Broncos and helped the team tie for third in the NFL in scoring defense (16.1 points per game).
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby onnestabe » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:44 pm

I think he is a very good player, but there's no way he will play three more seasons. He is known as a hard-hitting safety, and those hits add up.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby maddog60 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:35 pm

Lynch is still playing at the top of his game. As good as he is, I would've thought he'd start to decline by now, but he hasn't so making sure he's under contract for three more years is prudent. The Broncos just need to draft a young hard hitting safety to train under him.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby jayday » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:36 pm

Good...maybe Bing will slide to Cincy now B-)
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby The_Captain » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:36 pm

As a Bronco fan, I'm happy to see this. Granted he may play the full term of the extension but his leadership in the locker room is priceless. If the Broncos do happen to sign TO, I think Lynch is one of the many vets on this team which could keep him in check.

"This is your captain calling--with an urgent warning" - The The
The_Captain
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mysticphysh » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:03 pm

Lynch is good in run support and he's shown a touch for pass rushing this year, but he can be a liabilty in pass coverage. As for "Hard hitting"...well, it's easy to lay one down on a guy when he's a running back already being wrapped up, or a WR who's stretched out for the ball.

He's a good leader though, and Denver should really think about bringing in a young Safty to learn under Lynch.
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby maddog60 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:09 pm

The_Captain wrote:As a Bronco fan, I'm happy to see this. Granted he may play the full term of the extension but his leadership in the locker room is priceless. If the Broncos do happen to sign TO, I think Lynch is one of the many vets on this team which could keep him in check.

Take it from those who have seen just as quality locker room leaders fail. Its a pipe dream to imagine anyone, not even the entire Pats team, could keep TO in check.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby mysticphysh » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:16 pm

maddog60 wrote:
The_Captain wrote:As a Bronco fan, I'm happy to see this. Granted he may play the full term of the extension but his leadership in the locker room is priceless. If the Broncos do happen to sign TO, I think Lynch is one of the many vets on this team which could keep him in check.

Take it from those who have seen just as quality locker room leaders fail. Its a pipe dream to imagine anyone, not even the entire Pats team, could keep TO in check.

Agreed. TO can't be kept in check. Its only a matter of time before something sets him off.
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The_Captain » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:37 pm

mysticphysh wrote:
maddog60 wrote:

Agreed. TO can't be kept in check. Its only a matter of time before something sets him off.

I'm not trying to come across as naive here but I guess I've just liked the way the Broncos have handled the process so far with TO. I'm not familiar with how the Eagles handled the process with TO so I can't really comment on it. I read where both Bowlen and Shanahan told TO he had to impress the veteren leadership of the Broncos and prove to them he is worth the risk. Now whether this pans out or not remains to be seen but to me John Lynch in an integral part of that leadership which makes his contract extension very exciting.

I agree with both of you they really need to bring in some young talent to learn from Lynch.

"This is your captain calling--with an urgent warning" - The The
The_Captain
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SniperShot » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:47 pm

Lynch is a great leader let alone great player. I look for him to keep up a good level of play for at least 2 more seasons. Good to see him resigned.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Return to Football Talk