Bennett4prez needs to change his name - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Bennett4prez needs to change his name

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Santacruzer » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:51 pm

The_Dude wrote:But, to be on topic, I didn't see Onterrio Smith's name on that list - what is his contract status? Is he not going to be back with Minnesota? I would think that drastically ups Mewelde Moore's value, particularly in a ppr.

He is mentioned in the full article (not much, but mentioned):
Bennett: 'I won't be coming back'
BY SEAN JENSEN
Pioneer Press

Michael Bennett said Monday his tenure with the Vikings is over.

"They told my agent they're going in another direction, so I won't be coming back," Bennett said in a phone interview. "It's disappointing, because you felt you established yourself there and you wanted to be one of those guys who stayed with a team throughout his whole career. But it didn't work out for me."

Bennett's agent, Pat Dye Jr., did not return calls left at his office.

With the expected departure of Bennett, the Vikings have just three running backs under contract: Mewelde Moore, Ciatrick Fason and Adimchinobe Echemandu. Onterrio Smith is fulfilling a suspension and could be reinstated before training camp. Veteran Moe Williams is an unrestricted free agent.

With a glut of elite running backs potentially available in free agency this offseason and several solid prospects in the NFL draft, the Vikings are expected to address their need aggressively at the position.

The conclusion seems fitting for Bennett, though, given his 2005 season with the Vikings. Entering training camp, coach Mike Tice projected Bennett to have a monstrous season as the full-time starter. But Bennett suffered an injury before the season, and he played sparingly at the start of the season. He didn't get his first meaningful start until Nov. 6, when he ran the ball 18 times for 106 yards.

"You get promised all this stuff all offseason, then you work hard, but it seemed like it was all for nothing," Bennett said. "But I'm just going to continue to work hard."

Bennett isn't bitter, leaving the Vikings as their eighth-leading rusher all time with 3,174 yards in five seasons.

"Once I move on, I will always know where my roots are and where everything started," said Bennett, who plans to keep his home in the Twin Cities.

Bennett said he has been working out diligently, "just in case I need to go audition somewhere."

His preferences are Green Bay, which is closer to his hometown of Milwaukee, and Arizona, which is coached by Dennis Green, who drafted Bennett for the Vikings.

"I don't know where I could end up; anywhere, really," Bennett said. "But those would be two great places.

"I want to earn a job and take it from there."

I am not sure of Smith's contract stutus. I believe he is due a new contract. I think the last deal he signed was a 3 year deal back in 2003. But as for him leaving Minnesota, I wouldn't count on it. New HC Childress has already given him a vote of confidence, and said "he has a clean slate with him".
Santacruzer
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The_Dude » Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:02 pm

Santacruzer wrote:
The_Dude wrote:But, to be on topic, I didn't see Onterrio Smith's name on that list - what is his contract status? Is he not going to be back with Minnesota? I would think that drastically ups Mewelde Moore's value, particularly in a ppr.

BY SEAN JENSEN
Pioneer Press

"They told my agent they're going in another direction, so I won't be coming back," Bennett said in a phone interview. "It's disappointing, because you felt you established yourself there and you wanted to be one of those guys who stayed with a team throughout his whole career. But it didn't work out for me."

With the expected departure of Bennett, the Vikings have just three running backs under contract: Mewelde Moore, Ciatrick Fason and Adimchinobe Echemandu. Onterrio Smith is fulfilling a suspension and could be reinstated before training camp. Veteran Moe Williams is an unrestricted free agent.

With a glut of elite running backs potentially available in free agency this offseason and several solid prospects in the NFL draft, the Vikings are expected to address their need aggressively at the position.

The conclusion seems fitting for Bennett, though, given his 2005 season with the Vikings. Entering training camp, coach Mike Tice projected Bennett to have a monstrous season as the full-time starter. But Bennett suffered an injury before the season, and he played sparingly at the start of the season. He didn't get his first meaningful start until Nov. 6, when he ran the ball 18 times for 106 yards.

"You get promised all this stuff all offseason, then you work hard, but it seemed like it was all for nothing," Bennett said. "But I'm just going to continue to work hard."

Bennett isn't bitter, leaving the Vikings as their eighth-leading rusher all time with 3,174 yards in five seasons.

"Once I move on, I will always know where my roots are and where everything started," said Bennett, who plans to keep his home in the Twin Cities.

Bennett said he has been working out diligently, "just in case I need to go audition somewhere."

His preferences are Green Bay, which is closer to his hometown of Milwaukee, and Arizona, which is coached by Dennis Green, who drafted Bennett for the Vikings.

"I don't know where I could end up; anywhere, really," Bennett said. "But those would be two great places.

Thanks man... I still think Onterrio is the most talented back in there --- there's just that question of whether he can put down the bong for a couple of years.

I am the Walrus
The_Dude
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)
Location: My ivory tower, where I oversee the intellectual development of America's youth

Postby bagobonez » Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:21 pm

The_Dude wrote:
Santacruzer wrote:

BY SEAN JENSEN
Pioneer Press

Thanks man... I still think Onterrio is the most talented back in there --- there's just that question of whether he can put down the bong for a couple of years.

I wouldn't bet on it. A tiger doesn't change his stripes, look at Ricky Williams.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby moonhead » Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:27 pm

bagobonez wrote:
The_Dude wrote:
Santacruzer wrote:

BY SEAN JENSEN
Pioneer Press

I wouldn't bet on it. A tiger doesn't change his stripes, look at Ricky Williams.

leopard and spots.

and ricky didn't fail his test for pot.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Previous

Return to Football Talk