Who should control American Ports? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Who should control American Ports?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Should companies based in foreign countries be allowed to control U.S. ports?

Yes
29%
No
71%

Total votes : 35

Postby The_Dude » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:03 am

Wizzle wrote:
TN_Titans_05 wrote:This sounds like a anti Bush post Knapp....like any of us are going to say we want UAE to control some of our best ports.

No doubt. Bush is an idiot. Look at what he has ALREADY done to our economy. He should be impeached.

Yes, but its not an anti-Republican post... the people who are most upset by this are the Republican leaders in Congress.

I am the Walrus
The_Dude
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football
Location: My ivory tower, where I oversee the intellectual development of America's youth

Postby Goatwhacker » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:08 am

Wizzle wrote:
No doubt. Bush is an idiot. Look at what he has ALREADY done to our economy.

You must be joking, or not following the economy very closely.
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

Postby knapplc » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:11 am

TN_Titans_05 wrote:This sounds like a anti Bush post Knapp....like any of us are going to say we want UAE to control some of our best ports.

You're welcome to take it however you will. I don't see how it's a problem even if it IS an "anti Bush" post - I can disagree with my president without being politically inflammatory, can't I?

Whether this is an "anti Bush" post is really not the point (if YOUR point is that it's politics and maybe shouldn't have been posted. If that's not your point, pretty much ignore this whole response ;-) ). The point of this post and poll is, do you think it's OK to have foreign companies/nations in control of American ports?

That's the real question.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Re: Who should control American Ports?

Postby knapplc » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:14 am

The_Dude wrote:
Well, crap... I just wrote a long answer and then lost it...

so, I'll sum up since I don't want to write the whole thing again...

*I agree that American ports should be controlled by American companies (and not Canadian, or British, or Iraqi or UAE or Finnish or Bolivian companies), but that the issue of multinationals does indeed cloud this.

*I am honestly very surprised about the Bush admin's position on this, and question why in the hell is so convinced this is a good idea - to go so far as to threaten a veto. The Republican leadership is killing him right now, and we have a real live, non-partisan executive/legislative checks and balances fight on our hands here. I am interested to see how things play out, but I think Bush is going to lose in the court of public opinion on this one.

Sorry you lost your big post.

I agree 100% with what you said, though. ;-D
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Wizzle » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:14 am

Goatwhacker wrote:
Wizzle wrote:
No doubt. Bush is an idiot. Look at what he has ALREADY done to our economy.

You must be joking, or not following the economy very closely.

Let's just say that I treat all political posts on the cafe like a joke. Considering this will be locked within the next 24 hours.
Wizzle
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle Eye

Postby moonhead » Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:44 am

you are funding terrorism.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby 34=Sweetness » Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:15 am

Nothing says "free enterprise system" like "You can't own a business because you're Arab." ;-7 UAE has been one of our biggest allies in the goings on. (They also happen to be one of our biggest allies.) Its a kneejerk reaction based mostly in anti-Muslim and and anti-Arab sentiment.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Re: Who should control American Ports?

Postby Redskins Win » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:46 am

The_Dude wrote:Well, crap... I just wrote a long answer and then lost it...

Thank you Lord!!!!!!!!! j/k

Low and behold I do fully agree with you.

knapplc wrote:We even control Guantanamo Bay in Cuba. How's that? Would we let the Cubans control a bay on our soil?

Are you seriously confused over this?
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The_Dude » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:20 am

knapplc wrote:

You're welcome to take it however you will. I don't see how it's a problem even if it IS an "anti Bush" post - I can disagree with my president without being politically inflammatory, can't I?

Whether this is an "anti Bush" post is really not the point (if YOUR point is that it's politics and maybe shouldn't have been posted. If that's not your point, pretty much ignore this whole response ;-) ). The point of this post and poll is, do you think it's OK to have foreign companies/nations in control of American ports?

That's the real question

But isn't the large overriding question why the President is going on the offensive over this policy? Why did he react so offensively? How is this sound economic policy (let alone the homeland security issues)? Did this company make the best bid for the contract? Does Bush have pre-Presidency ties to them?

I honestly just don't get it.

I am the Walrus
The_Dude
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)
Location: My ivory tower, where I oversee the intellectual development of America's youth

Postby Redskins Win » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:37 am

The_Dude wrote:
knapplc wrote:

That's the real question

But isn't the large overriding question why the President is going on the offensive over this policy? Why did he react so offensively? How is this sound economic policy (let alone the homeland security issues)? Did this company make the best bid for the contract? Does Bush have pre-Presidency ties to them?

I honestly just don't get it.

I'm really getting the hang of one word answers. Oil, and it's probably post presidency. :-t
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk