Who should control American Ports? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Who should control American Ports?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Should companies based in foreign countries be allowed to control U.S. ports?

Yes
29%
No
71%

Total votes : 35

Postby gogogadget » Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:13 pm

DPW is 100 percent owned by the government of the Emirate of Dubai via a Dubai government holding company called the PCFC

curtesy of worldnetdaily

if that is true, and I assume it is, then I take back what I said about selling it to a company based in UAE and not UAE itself, it seems it is UAE itself. My bad.

But anyway, As far as controling the containers coming into the country and leaving..that should be controlled by the gov. But I dont see anything wrong allowing a company to do the work of actually moving crates off the ship and onto the port. But the trafficking should be inspected.
"When I know nothing, the possibilities are endless."
gogogadget
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Goatwhacker » Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:51 pm

knapplc wrote:
The bottom line here is this - the GOVERNMENT should be running these ports, specifically the Coast Guard.

OK, I think there is some confusion here. Port security is ALREADY the responsibility of the Coast Guard and US Customs and that will not change. The contract with the UAE company is for the commercial operations of the ports, ie overseeing and coordinating longshoremen, etc.

I absolutely disagree that the government should take over commercial operations of ports. The government has it's hands plenty of places already and can generally be counted on to screw things up.

There are some legitimate concerns about the UAE company taking over port operations but much of what I'm hearing is a lot of generalized anti-Arab racism which is unwarranted. The UAE is considered our friend, we should not treat friends this way. What is especially annoying is all the people (not necessarily on this board) who were quick to blame 9/11 on the US not being nice enough to Muslims who are now saying we can't trust UAE. This is racial profiling, you can't have it both ways.
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:31 pm

knapplc wrote:CNN is running a poll just like mine (I've often thought they got a lot of their ideas from me... :-? ). Current results are 85% say No to 15% who say yes.

The bottom line here is this - the GOVERNMENT should be running these ports, specifically the Coast Guard. I can't believe it's something we let into the hands of the private sector, let alone foreign companies. I don't think an American company should have controlling authority over our ports any more than a British or UAE company should.

Which border town along the US/Mexican border or the US/Canadian border is controlled by a private company?

These are matters of national security. How is it that we let a private business run the port? I don't get that.

um, actually the Ambassador Bridge that connects Detroit/Windsor is bussiest border crossings in the US and is privately owned...but it's the only one

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060222/NEWS07/602220342
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Tiki » Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:31 pm

The nice thing about politics on the internet....No one can get punched. ;-D
Keep it lit.
Tiki
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:36 pm

Looks like the deal has been reversed:

WASHINGTON - Dubai Ports World, the company whose planned takeover of major U.S. port operations ignited a political firestorm earlier this year prompting contentious discussions on Capitol Hill and in Internet Forums such as http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com, has agreed to sell those operations to AIG Global Investment Group.

The company announced the deal Monday. The U.S. operations at six major U.S. seaports in New York/New Jersey, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Miami, Tampa and New Orleans were valued at approximately $700 million, but DP World did not disclose the sales price.

The deal also involves stevedoring operations in 16 locations along the eastern seaboard and Gulf Coast and a passenger terminal in New York City.

"While we are disappointed to be exiting the U.S. market, the price we received was fair," Sultan Ahmed Bin Sulayem, the chairman of DP World, said in a statement announcing the deal.

One of the loudest critics of the original deal said he was pleased and expected the deal to clear the few regulatory hurdles that remain.

"This is an appropriate final chapter to the book on the Dubai Ports World deal," said Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y. "This is very likely to receive broad support in Washington and throughout America."

AIG Global Investment Group is an asset management firm with more than $635 billion in assets. Its parent company is the New York-based insurance firm, American International Group Inc. AIG's managing director Christopher Lee said the company is "very committed to ensuring that it continues to be one of the industry leaders in setting standards for port security."

DP World is based in the United Arab Emirates and is the largest marine terminal operator with 51 terminals in 24 countries.

The sale still requires regulatory approval from several port authorities, including New York and New Jersey. The sale is expected to close in the next few months, DP World said.

The Bush administration had agreed last January to allow DP World to acquire the U.S. port operations, but as soon as the deal became public they were fiercely attacked by members of both political parties.

Critics of DP World cited the UAE's history, noting that some of the money that financed the Sept. 11 terror attacks moved through their banking system, and the government's past support of Afghanistan's Taliban government before the 2001 attacks.

As a result of the public pressure, DP World ultimately agreed to sell off the U.S. assets.

The Department of Homeland Security, which had tried to defend the initial DP World acquisition, had no comment Monday, agency spokesman Russ Knocke said.

Massachusetts Democrat Ed Markey, who sits on the House Homeland Security Committee, pledged his party would keep a closer eye on such deals in the future by conducting "the type of oversight that has been completely absent during the Republican Congress."
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Karoz » Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:42 pm

knapplc wrote:These are matters of national security. How is it that we let a private business run the port? I don't get that.

The ports have always been, and will always continue to be a huge hole in our national security, no matter who is controlling them.

As I am sure you know, less than 5% of the containers that come into the our ports from foreign countries are actually inspected. That means that if a terrorist wanted to bring a WMD into the United States via the ports, they would have a 95% chance of successfully doing so.

So, I don't think that this deal would have really affected our national security.
Karoz
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:11 pm

National security is week within the ports, and would be even weaker if they were foreignly (if that is actually a word) controlled.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Mercer Boy » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:36 am

I liked how you worked the Cafe into that news story, haha. :-b

It would be hilarious if the Cafe somehow managed to change US policy. ;-D
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:01 am

Mercer Boy wrote:I liked how you worked the Cafe into that news story, haha. :-b

It would be hilarious if the Cafe somehow managed to change US policy. ;-D

I was beginning to fear that nobody would actually notice that. You have to wonder if people read the articles that are posted here sometimes...
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby BrutallyHuge » Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:18 am

The Coast Guard
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk