Curtis Martin restructures his contract with the Jets - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Curtis Martin restructures his contract with the Jets

Moderator: Football Moderators

Curtis Martin restructures his contract with the Jets

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:03 pm

Feb 22, 3:48 PM EST

Jets Part With Law, Rework Martin's Pact

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. (AP) -- The New York Jets slashed their payroll Wednesday by restructuring Curtis Martin's contract, parting with Pro Bowl cornerback Ty Law and cutting a host of other veterans, including quarterback Jay Fiedler, offensive tackle Jason Fabini and fullback Jerald Sowell.

The team is about $26 million over the salary cap and must be at or under the cap by March 3, the opening day of free agency.

The deal with the 32-year-old Martin, the NFL's fourth leading career rusher, was expected. The NFL's top rusher in 2004 underwent arthroscopic injury on his right knee in December and finished the season with 730 yards rushing and a 3.3 average. He was trying to become the first player in league history to rush for more than 1,000 yards in his first 11 years.

Martin may be one of the few high-profile survivors in the a cap-forced purge by new coach Eric Mangini although it is likely that the Jets will draft a running back for the future in April.

They are still negotiating with quarterback Chad Pennington, who twice in the last two years had rotator cuff surgery, in an attempt to reduce a cap number that could be as high as $12 million.

These latest moves came a day after the Jets designated defensive end John Abraham their franchise player at $8.3 million, although they may try to trade him.

Martin was the only Jet to attend the news conference at which Eric Mangini was introduced as coach last month.

"I have always had the highest regard for him both as an individual and as one of the fiercest and most determined athletes in the game," said Mangini, adding he considered him an important team leader.

Also cut were three reserves: linebacker Barry Gardner, defensive tackle Lance Legree and wide receiver Harry Williams Jr.

The team said Law and the team agreed to part ways - he would have been due $11 million to trigger the final three years of his contract, something the Jets could hardly afford under the cap. The 32-year-old cornerback spent his first 10 seasons with New England and tied for the NFL lead with 10 interceptions last season.

"We were very fortunate to have a player of Ty's caliber in 2005," new general manager Mike Tannenbaum said. "Ty is a warrior and a class act and we appreciate his contributions this past season."

Fiedler, who signed with the team last season, injured his shoulder seven plays after Pennington was hurt in the third game last season and did not play again.

Fabini and Sowell are longtime starters - Fabini started his first 114 games at offensive tackle until he tore a chest muscle Nov. 18 and was lost for the season. Sowell played for nine seasons.
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 81)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby disgruntledjetsfan » Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:10 pm

This is great news - Curtis always has been a great guy and a team player, and has never wanted the spotlight. It doesn't say how much we will save by reworking his contract, but I'm sure it is a good amount...
disgruntledjetsfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 8)

Postby maddog60 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:15 pm

You know, I wouldnt want Curtis to get cut, out of respect for his accomplishments, and because I just can't picture him not being a Jet.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby no1cowboysfan » Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:35 pm

maddog60 wrote:You know, I wouldnt want Curtis to get cut, out of respect for his accomplishments, and because I just can't picture him not being a Jet.

I could be way off base, but didn't he spend most of his years as a Patriot?

But yes, I'm glad he's there to stay. Solid athlete, great RB, classy guy.

EDIT: only his first three were NE. My bad.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Keyser_WV » Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:43 pm

I was reading that Martin will have to compete for the starting job next year with Houston and Blaylock.

Does he beat those guys out or is this a RBBC coming to NYJ?
Keyser_WV
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby no1cowboysfan » Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:45 pm

Keyser_WV wrote:I was reading that Martin will have to compete for the starting job next year with Houston and Blaylock.

Blaylock ---> KC product.
Houston ---> Not ready to start now, if ever.

I'd worry more about Addai or Williams if I were Curtis. But at absolute worst, Curtis gives up 10 more carries. He'll still get 20 a game.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Wizzle » Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:46 pm

Keyser_WV wrote:I was reading that Martin will have to compete for the starting job next year with Houston and Blaylock.

Maybe he'll take a Marshall Faulk-like role?
The League of Extraordinary QBs
Wizzle
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle Eye

Postby DelhommesFan1 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:02 pm

i think a marshall type back from here on out. I think age has caught up with the old man
DelhommesFan1
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby skibrett15 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:38 pm

He's a risk, but I think he has more in the tank than Faulk
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Azrael » Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:27 am

Martin blew his last wad in 2004. I think you'll see less and less of him as the season progresses.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Next

Return to Football Talk