Jamal Lewis will not be franchised - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

Jamal Lewis will not be franchised

Moderator: Football Moderators

Jamal Lewis will not be franchised

Postby mattb47 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:35 pm

OWINGS MILLS, Md. -- The Baltimore Ravens have decided not to protect Jamal Lewis from free agency, but have not ruled out the possibility of signing the one-time 2,000-yard rusher to a long-term contract.

Lewis, the NFL Offensive Player of the Year in 2003, when he rushed for 2,066 yards, slumped to a career-low 906 yards this season following a four-month sentence in a Florida federal prison and two months in a halfway house for a cocaine conspiracy plea bargain. He also underwent surgery on his right ankle.

The Ravens would have had to assign a one-year, $6 million franchise tender to retain Lewis. Not doing so means they are likely to look over the veteran running back market while evaluating potential rookie running backs such as USC's LenDale White and Memphis' DeAngelo Williams. The Ravens have the 13th overall pick in the draft.

Chester Taylor, Lewis' backup, is likely to become a free agent.

"We will still consider the possibility of talking to Jamal about a long-term contract with us," said Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome, who drafted Lewis fifth overall out of Tennessee in 2000.

Lewis could join an already crowded running back market that could include NFL MVP Shaun Alexander of Seattle; Indianapolis' Edgerrin James and Carolina's DeShaun Foster.

"I've spoken with Jamal and his agent today to let them know."

Lewis' agent Mitch Frankel had no immediate comment.

Lewis' total in 2003 was the second-highest total in league history. However, his production has declined each year since then while dealing with legal turmoil and injuries. In 2004, Lewis rushed for 1,006 yards. This season, Lewis averaged a career-low 3.4 yards per carry and scored a career-low three touchdowns. He rushed for 100 yards only twice this year.


http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2340003
Image
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 14238
Joined: 29 Nov 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Postby no1cowboysfan » Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:38 pm

In my opinion, they should sign him to a moderate-priced but heavy incentive contract for two years, if he'll go for that. That way, if he produces well, he won't worry about contract problems and retirement dough in the upcoming year, and the team can better evaluate if he should get a long term contract.

Personally, I blame the Raven's offensive woes on Boller. It's hard to rush for 2K with 9 in the box.
Image

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 5255
Joined: 28 Sep 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: From Diego to tha bay ...

Postby maddog60 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:40 pm

DeAngelo Williams, start looking for a house in the Baltimore area.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 9758
Joined: 18 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Wizzle » Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:40 pm

no1cowboysfan wrote:In my opinion, they should sign him to a moderate-priced but heavy incentive contract for two years, if he'll go for that. That way, if he produces well, he won't worry about contract problems and retirement dough in the upcoming year, and the team can better evaluate if he should get a long term contract.

Personally, I blame the Raven's offensive woes on Boller. It's hard to rush for 2K with 9 in the box.


Or he could just retire now and sell coke. :-b
Image
The League of Extraordinary QBs
Wizzle
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 1452
Joined: 15 Nov 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Certified Genius.

Postby no1cowboysfan » Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:42 pm

Wizzle wrote:
no1cowboysfan wrote:In my opinion, they should sign him to a moderate-priced but heavy incentive contract for two years, if he'll go for that. That way, if he produces well, he won't worry about contract problems and retirement dough in the upcoming year, and the team can better evaluate if he should get a long term contract.

Personally, I blame the Raven's offensive woes on Boller. It's hard to rush for 2K with 9 in the box.


Or he could just retire now and sell coke. :-b


If only we could all retire at 26 years old... O:-)
Image

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 5255
Joined: 28 Sep 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: From Diego to tha bay ...

Postby CC » Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:07 pm

I got Chester Taylor in a dynasty league, aww yea.
Image
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 11079
Joined: 30 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: The Big House.

Postby mattb47 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:08 pm

It said in the article that Taylor is likely to become a Free Agent as well....
Image
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 14238
Joined: 29 Nov 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Postby skibrett15 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:30 pm

I think taylor is more likely to walk than Lewis. I think taylor on a different team would probably be better for him. Perhaps he'll go to the jets?
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 5057
Joined: 17 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: At the Mafia Cafe

Postby Azrael » Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:20 am

Seems like there will be quite a few good FA runners this year.
Image
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 8283
(Past Year: 7)
Joined: 29 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Keeping da cafe sucka free for 9 years straight

Postby UNDEFEATED » Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:15 am

no1cowboysfan wrote:
Wizzle wrote:
no1cowboysfan wrote:In my opinion, they should sign him to a moderate-priced but heavy incentive contract for two years, if he'll go for that. That way, if he produces well, he won't worry about contract problems and retirement dough in the upcoming year, and the team can better evaluate if he should get a long term contract.

Personally, I blame the Raven's offensive woes on Boller. It's hard to rush for 2K with 9 in the box.


Or he could just retire now and sell coke. :-b


If only we could all retire at 26 years old... O:-)


I did...but now i live in my moms basement. :-t LOLahahaha
Image Help me earn my Cafe Helper Blinking Ambulance stripes. If you want off the wall thorough answers to your team questions...Hit me up. PM me a link. See you around.
UNDEFEATED
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 3890
Joined: 26 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Flos Scandelos

Next

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 2:07 hours
(and 38 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact