Reggie Bush Not Working Out At Combines - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Reggie Bush Not Working Out At Combines

Moderator: Football Moderators

Reggie Bush Not Working Out At Combines

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:03 pm

Updated: Feb. 22, 2006, 3:15 PM ET
Bush says he won't work out at NFL combine
By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

ATLANTA -- Heisman Trophy winner Reggie Bush, the former Southern California tailback likely to be the top pick in the 2006 draft, will not work out at the scouting combine sessions this week in Indianapolis, and will wait until the Trojans' annual "pro day" to audition for scouts.

It is not unusual for a prospect projected as such a high pick to bypass the on-field drills at the combine, where running backs are scheduled to work out over the weekend. Despite efforts by the league to encourage players to complete the entire combine workout, including a letter this year from Indianapolis Colts stars Marvin Harrison and Dwight Freeney extolling the virtues of an RCA Dome surface once widely regarded as sluggish, some players still feel more comfortable on campus.

"I'm going [to Indianapolis] to show teams a side of me that maybe they don't know," Bush told ESPN.com. "Hopefully, by now, people know what kind of athlete I am, and what I'm about as a player. But I want teams to get to know my personality, too, and I feel like I can accomplish that during the [combine] interviews."

Bush was here on Tuesday to meet with former longtime NFL personnel director Ken Herock, who helps prepare prospects for the combine interview process. Bush flew to Indianapolis on Wednesday morning for the start of his four-day combine experience.

The Southern California pro day is scheduled for April 2, and Bush is expected to participate in all of the drills that day. He almost certainly will have private workouts, including one for the Houston Texans, who hold the top pick in the April 29 draft, in the weeks following the pro day session on campus.

Houston officials continue to insist they remain undecided about the top pick, but the consensus sentiment is that Bush will be No. 1.

Articulate and engaging, Bush said he has "done [his] homework" on the Texans, including on first-year coach Gary Kubiak, and expects to be the first overall selection. Asked how much he knew about the city of Houston, he said: "I know there's no state income tax in Texas, and that's pretty important to me all of a sudden."

While a few skeptics still question Bush's ability to sustain the rigors of an NFL season at his size, the former USC star has been working out regularly in the Los Angeles area and his weight is up to 204 pounds. It has been as high as 206 pounds in recent weeks.

In 39 college games, Bush compiled 6,746 all-purpose yards. He scored touchdowns rushing, receiving, throwing and on both punt and kickoff returns.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby ljthockey » Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:07 pm

Its cliche but true he's almost a lock for the first overall selection his stock cant rise any higher by working out. Which puts him at risk of a bad work out a bad day or a injury.
[b][color=red]You have just read a Ljthockey© post[/color][/b]

ljthockey
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby maddog60 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:19 pm

[sarcasm]Oh, well this is clearly a sign that he's worried he's not the top rookie prospect or top RB that people think he is. Because if he wasn't he wouldn't worry about having a bad day at the combine and getting shown up be Lendale White or DeAngelo Williams. This must be a sign that he's worried that he isn't capable of being a featured RB, and people should shy away from drafting him. [/sarcasm]

Seriously, it shouldn't a surprise when anyone projected as a lock for being a top 5 pick decides not to do anything. Any team picking in the top 5 will have called the player they pick in for private workouts, so its not only a risk with little reward, but redundant.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby steelerfan513 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:54 pm

hes not a lock for the top pick, but hes definitely top 5. not a big deal.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Azrael » Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:58 pm

No big deal. Bush has done everything. This is different than VY not wanting to show if he can pass.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Bravos of Steel » Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:45 pm

If I'm Reggie Bush, I'm doing the exact same thing he's doing now, probably the consensus #1 pick, don't risk anything.
Bravos of Steel
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Wizzle » Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:47 pm

Yup. Pointless.
The League of Extraordinary QBs
Wizzle
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle Eye

Postby mysticphysh » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:30 pm

This makes more sense then Young not throwing. With RBs, "measurables" aren't that important. You don't have to run a blazing 4.3 to be a successful back in the NFL. Everybody already knows his game agility, so what's left to prove?
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby no1cowboysfan » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:47 pm

maddog60 wrote:[sarcasm]Oh, well this is clearly a sign that he's worried he's not the top rookie prospect or top RB that people think he is. Because if he wasn't he wouldn't worry about having a bad day at the combine and getting shown up be Lendale White or DeAngelo Williams. This must be a sign that he's worried that he isn't capable of being a featured RB, and people should shy away from drafting him. [/sarcasm]

Seriously, it shouldn't a surprise when anyone projected as a lock for being a top 5 pick decides not to do anything. Any team picking in the top 5 will have called the player they pick in for private workouts, so its not only a risk with little reward, but redundant.

Personally, I DON'T think he's the best RB in the draft... by a long shot. But that doesn't mean I disagree with it. His only competition for the #1 spot is Vince Young. And with Carr signed for three more years and Vince ALSO not working out, I can't blame him.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby mattb47 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:16 am

no1cowboysfan wrote:
maddog60 wrote:[sarcasm]Oh, well this is clearly a sign that he's worried he's not the top rookie prospect or top RB that people think he is. Because if he wasn't he wouldn't worry about having a bad day at the combine and getting shown up be Lendale White or DeAngelo Williams. This must be a sign that he's worried that he isn't capable of being a featured RB, and people should shy away from drafting him. [/sarcasm]

Personally, I DON'T think he's the best RB in the draft... by a long shot. But that doesn't mean I disagree with it. His only competition for the #1 spot is Vince Young. And with Carr signed for three more years and Vince ALSO not working out, I can't blame him.

Hmm....then who would you say is the best RB in the draft.....by a long shot?
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk