Cutler, Leinart or Young - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Cutler, Leinart or Young

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby VaderFin » Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:02 pm

I don't think Arizona is going to take Cutler. I think he is gone before the Fins pick at 16 but I'm going to need to see more out of AZ before I think they take him.

Leinart
Cutler
Young

That is how I see their NFL career's developing.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Bravos of Steel » Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:43 pm

I'm gonna have to agree with Vader. I see Cutler going to the 'Fins and I'm still going with reverse psychology for my Steelers and saying LenDale White will go to the Cardinals. Just my 2 cents.

For the record I agree with The_Dude that Leinart will have the quickest impact and will have the best career.
Bravos of Steel
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby eaglesrule » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:59 pm

this always gets me.

I really think the amount of idle time on nfl teams' hands makes them over think sometimes.

Frankly, if you want a classically skilled qb, how in the world can you just up and decide that cutler is the better pick? I think this is a case of overanalysis (IMO).

Leinart has proven to have both the skills and being a winner. I know the heisman is a curse, but... you are looking at a heisman winner who won the national championship, played for a second, and lost what 3 times during his tenure?

I can see taking young over leinart, different skill set, player type, but cutler over leinart doesn't make sense to me.

I really think leinart will produce the most. It seems to me like the late riser in the nfl draft doesn't pan out a la, leaf verus the pedigreed manning.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:11 pm

I think Cutler will have the biggest impact immediately. Leinart will become the better long term NFL QB. And Vince will be the next Vick, a lot of fun to watch and will win games, but will frustrate the hell out us FFBers with his inconsistency.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby UTLonghorns » Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:20 am

Young.

Callin my biased?
UTLonghorns
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb Supporter

Postby VaderFin » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:56 am

eaglesrule wrote:this always gets me.

I really think the amount of idle time on nfl teams' hands makes them over think sometimes.

Frankly, if you want a classically skilled qb, how in the world can you just up and decide that cutler is the better pick? I think this is a case of overanalysis (IMO).

Leinart has proven to have both the skills and being a winner. I know the heisman is a curse, but... you are looking at a heisman winner who won the national championship, played for a second, and lost what 3 times during his tenure?

I can see taking young over leinart, different skill set, player type, but cutler over leinart doesn't make sense to me.

I really think leinart will produce the most. It seems to me like the late riser in the nfl draft doesn't pan out a la, leaf verus the pedigreed manning.

The argument can be made that Leinart played at USC and was surrounded by Bush, White, Jarrett, a great D, etc. etc. Cutler played at Vandy with.....well, can you name one other player from Vandy off the top of your head? So of course Leinart is going to have bigger college accolades.....the real question is what can they do in the NFL not what did they do in college.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby eaglesrule » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:23 am

ture, but at the end of the day you can't take someone's accomplishments away from them.

My point being,we have seen what leinart can accomplish with pro-level talent around him. We have also seen what Leinart accomplished against tougher compeititon, as a result of his being on USC. Cutler is more of an unknwon.

Both will probably be good
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby TheRawDAWG » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:09 am

eaglesrule wrote:ture, but at the end of the day you can't take someone's accomplishments away from them.

My point being,we have seen what leinart can accomplish with pro-level talent around him. We have also seen what Leinart accomplished against tougher compeititon, as a result of his being on USC. Cutler is more of an unknwon.

Both will probably be good

Tougher competition? Doesn't USC plays in a WEAK conference with by far the best talent around. I think Leinart will be a bust by my own opinions aside I think if these QBs end up where they are projected to end up Cutler very well may have the best career.

And Signing Warner to 3 years doesn't mean much. NFL contracts aren't gauranteed.
So they weren't the best...and may have ended the worst. SO WHAT!
TheRawDAWG
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby chaindog35 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:38 am

i think leinart will be a poor man's tom brady. He can win if put in the right situation, but he's not going to do it on his own. In fact, I think all 3 of these guys will need a good supporting cast to be very successful. In the end, I think Leinart will have the best career, then Cutler with a solid career and I think Young will be a bust.
A new forum opened up! Read about the latest "Great Debate" where YOU ask the questions. You lucky VIP, you.
http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106
chaindog35
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby knapplc » Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:45 pm

Leinart and Cutler will have similar careers in the long run. Short-term it's all based on who drafts them and what needs they have. If Leinart goes to NO and they start him in his Rookie season he'll struggle big-time. With McAllister coming off the injury he'll have a lot of proving to do before he can keep defenses honest, and any first-year QB is going to struggle with that, whether it's Leinart or Cutler.

Young could actually have an amazing career. He's not a terrible passer, he just needs work. Who doesn't when making the jump to the NFL? Look at Randall Cunningham as an example of Young's potential. Just becuase Vince isn't a prototypical NFL QB, don't just write him off quite yet. From a fantasy perspective I expect him to have about the same impact as Mike Vick, but he could be better. I think his ceiling is around the 10-12 tier of Fantasy QBs.

I think Cutler is the most "traditional" of the three QBs, with a lot of potential. As with any Rook it depends on how patient the team is willing to be with him. If they throw him out there in his first season, think Kyle Orton this year or Roethlisberger last year as best-case-scenarios. He's going to be called upon to manage a game and not lose - that hardly spells fantasy gold.

Long-term the prognosis for both Cutler and Leinart is better than Young's simply because Young's style of play lends itself to greater potential for bodily harm.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk