Hutchinson given transition tag by Seahawks - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Hutchinson given transition tag by Seahawks

Moderator: Football Moderators

Hutchinson given transition tag by Seahawks

Postby steelerfan513 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:16 pm

The Seattle Seahawks saved a little less than $600,000 of cap room by making Pro Bowl left guard Steve Hutchinson a transition player instead of a franchise player, but they may have an extra month or so of uncertainty.

In a little bit of a surprise, the Seahawks didn't franchise Hutchinson. Part of the reason was the three holdouts they endured with Pro Bowl left tackle Walter Jones. The Seahawks franchised him three times but he held out until the start of the regular season.

Franchise players have guaranteed contracts but there are normally limited negotiations. Teams have until March 17 to get a long-term deal without the team losing the franchise tag, but normally, few deals get done. By transitioning him, he's allowed to negotiate with any other team; the Seahawks have the right to match any offer; and the one-year tender isn't guaranteed.

The transition tender is $6.391 million as opposed to the franchise number of $6.983 million.

Hutchinson's agent, Tom Condon, can try to come back with an offer that might be hard for the Seahawks to match. Hutchinson was thought to be one of the best free agents hitting the market.

The Seahawks will continue negotiating with him, but Hutchinson expects to make more than $6 million a year. The only guard to have earned such a lucrative pact was Dallas' Larry Allen.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2342022
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:45 pm

kind of a risky move by the Hawks if you ask me.... Seems like he is an intergral part of their offense and to risk loosing him doesnt seem to smart. Not sure the 600k was worth it.
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby maddog60 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:54 pm

They're only saving a veteran minimum salary or a tad bit more against their cap this way. Unless this was a sign of good faith they offered during negotiations, I cant see why they'd take the risk.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby VaderFin » Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:02 pm

This is the one free agent I would love to see Miami throw a boat load of money at. Probably the only guard I would say that about but he is a South Florida product and the kind of OG every team wants and needs.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Football Talk